“Poor start and poorer finish”
Review of Hilton Cairns

Hilton Cairns
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Poor start and poorer finish”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Yet another disappointing supposedly five star hotel in Australia. The room and public areas were fine but the food service in every respect was absolutely dreadful.

We were here for three nights and the first days breakfast service was chaotic. I appreciate there was a party of Japanese in the hotel and our party but surely the hotel could plan ahead to ensure the restaurant was properly staffed for breakfast . Fried eggs were like two brown disks ( see photo attached) which was rectified on day 2 but reverted to type on day

I did make a formal complaint which prompted a bottle of wine and chocolate from the sales Manager which was appreciated but judging from the 3 day breakfast there is unlikely to be any permanent improvement in service.

We ate in Donninis in house Italian restaurant on the first night and I had a nice pizza but my wife had lasagne which was hot on the outside and. Cold in the middle. We advised the staff and they took it away pushed the 2 halves together and put it in the microwave. When challenged the waitress admitted this is what had been done . In a hot country a very dangerous practice.

As I stated above the third breakfast was very poor again brown disks for eggs luke warm bacon and sausages which looked as though they had not been cooked . The eggs were returned and replaced by some which were edible but only marginally better.

Until this. Hotel sorts out the catering arrangements it cannot be considered a 5 star hotel and is one I will certainly not be returning to.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikeotter
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Mikeotter,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. At Hilton it is vitally important to us that we do receive feedback on our hotel and facilities, whether it is positive or negative, it would be impossible to improve.

I was extremely disappointed to hear about your stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any disappointment that you felt.
Your feedback has been passed onto our Food and Beverage team. Please be assured that your experience is not indicative of our normal standards and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, my sincere thanks for taking the time make us aware of your experience, I do hope that you may return to Hilton Cairns and I look forward to the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,
John Lucas| General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Great location with excellent views if you are overlooking river area. Overall really good place but several areas that need addressing, the free public internet in the bar area was difficult to obtain a connection and the speed was slow. Room was not ready for 2pm and we arrived at 6pm and was still not ready. Took 3 attempts by the breakfast staff to bring us our tea order correct.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear H922HBjohg,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed aspects of your stay, particularly the hotels location and views. My sincere thanks for taking the time make us aware of your experience, I do hope that you may return to Hilton Cairns in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
John Lucas| General Manager
cairns, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Nice fittings and fixtures. Bed was comfy. Friendly Team Members. If you enjoy nice cold air-conditioning don't stay here. Balcony/Glass sliding doors were not so clean. Hilton cairns does not live up to the hilton name like it does in the Gold Coast.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Joshua G,

I was delighted to read your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Hilton Cairns. As our guest, your feedback about your experience is vitally important to our business.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and that the team members provided such a memorable experience. I shall pass your comments on to all those concerned who I know truly appreciate receiving such feedback.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights, very pleased with the hotel. Great bed, amenities, view and location. We came to go scuba diving in the reef, this hotel was right next to the harbor where our boat was leaving from. The rooms were very modern and the AC was awesome in the humid tropical region of Cairns. The only downside was the speed of the Wifi, it was unbelievably slow. The staff was helpful and we were very very pleased, very highly recommended.

Dear Adam B,

I am delighted to read your positive comments following your 4 night stay with us at Hilton Cairns with your partner.
Cairns is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and I am happy to read you were able to go diving from Cairns. We are fortunate to be within walking distance to the Reef Fleet Terminal and city hotspots.
It is great to that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us including the views, amenities and service.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed at the Hilton on Saturday night. Check-in was fast and easy, Kim the lady on front desk was great, very professional and polite and let me check in just before 2pm. The room was very clean and tidy. I was a bit disappointed there was no mini bar in the room apparently only the higher floors get that. I was very happy with the beds and pillows, pool area was lovely. I ordered room service, payed $20.00 for Nachos which unfortunately were inedible. You have to pay for parking - $9.00 which isn't too bad.

Room Tip: maybe pay extra and get a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Riley1987,

I am delighted to read that your recent stay with us at Hilton Cairns was enjoyable and thank you for posting a review of the hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is great to read that you had a seamless check-in experience and that you received great service from Kim and were able to check-in early. I will be sure to pass your comments onto her. It is great to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including our outdoor lagoon style pool and the signature Hilton luxury bed.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cairns soon.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Hilton Cairns was my third Hilton on my Australian swing (see my other reviews for Darwin and Sydney). The quality of the hotel was on par with what you'd expect out of a Hilton and the location along the Esplanade was great. However, as with all the Hilton hotels I stayed at in Australia, the wifi (and even cable internet) was simply horrible. It was like being at a remote Cambodian internet cafe...super slow (if it was working). Not just me, but my friend as well on both his macbook and iPhone. Constantly restarting our computers, turning on and off the wifi.

We did ask the front desk what was up with the wifi and after some discussion they candidly admitted that it was a problem and nearly all the guests have complained about it at one point or another. So wait to try to upload your photos and chat with friends until after your trip!

Pros:
Great quality
Super location

Cons:
Wifi/internet (as noted in the write up)

Would I stay again?
As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I always try to stay with Hilton properties and I recommend to other members to do the same. However, even if I weren't a member I would return to stay at this property.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear seth009,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hilton Cairns following your recent stay with us. Your Australian trip sounds quite busy after also visiting Darwin and Sydney.
Your constructive feedback is appreciated and as a Diamond Hilton Honors guest, we were delighted to welcome you to our hotel in Tropical North Queensland.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

One of our favourite restaurants has just relocated to the Hilton so decided to go and stay the night in one of the executive rooms and dine in the hotel. We live in Cairns and thought it would be a nice treat and would not have to even venture out of the aircon for a while. Its very hot and humid here!
We checked in at 3pm and went up to the room. Bit uninspiring and dark. Noticed it was quite warm so turned down the temp and increased the fan. Went out for a walk and came back to exactly the same. Over the years I have been in the public areas, function rooms and restaurant in the Hilton and there have been major issues with the airconditioning. It appears these issues are not resolved. The executive lounge was very balmy too. It was very uncomfortable overnight and not sure how visitors to Cairns not used to the climate would cope.
On a positive note we enjoyed the lounge and the lovely ladies who worked there and I was impressed to see quite a few local products on offer.
I was under the impression there had been a face lift in the rooms, think the rooms and lounge could be brightened up with something appropriate to the tropics.
Dinner was great but again, a bit balmy!

Dear sheenaac,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Hilton Cairns on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed a night in one of our Executive Rooms on the 9th floor and came to experience Donnini's Simply Italian - a wonderful treat for Cairns locals.
I will be sure to pass on your feedback and especially, your positive comments about the team in the Executive Lounge.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Cairns in the near future.