“Great Room”

Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane
“Great Room”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We travel to Cairns to escape once a week and try different hotels each time. We chose the Hilton a week ago and were disappointed with the service. We booked online through wotif, a King Bed and when we arrived were told there were no Kings available but they had a room with 2 doubles. We were taken to our Room and were given a room with 2 king Single ( not as big as a double. I am 6"3 and my wife 5"11. We went back to reception and the clerk argued the beds were both doubles and it wasn,t until I threatened to check out did he offer us Magically a room with a King size Bed.
A very poor service experience. We wrote to the G.Manager and still no response, the clerks attitude was terrible, he stood there and argued with us. I sold bedding as a living and know the difference between a king single and a double.

Room Tip: Eastern end upper floors are better.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony M
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Tony,

Thank you for the review via Tripadvisor. I’m sorry to read your arrival experience was not up to expectation and I’m pleased we were able to assist with your room configuration choice.

Your sincerely,

John Lucas | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Redlands, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The pillows are goose down - beautiful! Bedding so clean and comfy. Holidayed with a friend so having the two beds was great. Very handy location but hired a car so we could explore surrounding areas. Tablelands to Port Douglas - great trip. Loved the Hilton and will definitely stay again. We had water views - very happy overall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Diana D
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Diana,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. It’s great to read you’ve enjoyed the luxury of our bedding, a good nights rest is so important when you’re out and about experiencing the region. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I chose Hilton Cairns for a one night stay for its convenient location being next to the marina for the ferry to Fitzroy Island. I expected fairly little except for a comfortable night of rest. Upon my arrival, however, I was pleasantly surprised with welcome champagne and a complimentary upgrade, as it was my birthday the next day. The service that followed was attentive and efficient, ticking every box as one might expect from a 5 star accommodation. Overall Hilton Cairns exceeded all my expectations. Even without the upgrade and welcome drinks, it would have been a perfect faultless stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

2 Thank HayleyZhu
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear traveller,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed your brief stay with us and took some time to relax and celebrate your birthday. I hope you also enjoyed your visit to the island and took some time to explore our wonderful region.,

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The hotel was in a very central location which was handy for walking around, be it to Muddy's Playground or shops/ night markets. We arrived around 11am and we were given access to our room. Unfortunately the room wasnt as clean as I had hoped and so we were moved without question. The hotel had a business centre which was accessible to all, therefore good if you needed to access a PC, at no cost. The hotel also had free wifi which was available in the lobby. We used the pool which was lovely too.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Spa Room which was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KirstyH444
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Kristy,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns via Tripadvisor. My apologies for your room servicing concerns on arrival and I’m pleased the team were able to provide a solution quickly. There’s plenty for the family to do in and around Cairns and you’ve highlighted the great play area for the kids at Muddy’s on the Esplanade – there’s even a great coffee shop for Mum and Dad!. I hope we can welcome you back to Cairns again one day.

John Lucas| General Manager
Banora Point NSW, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband & I spent a week at the Hilton for our 50th Wedding Anniversary and the service was fantastic from beginning to the end. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We were given a beautiful room on a high floor with a fantastic river and mountain view. I would definitely recommend this Hotel for a stay in Cairns.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Judith & Noel K
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Judith and Noel,

Congratulations on your milestone Wedding Anniversary - the team and I are delighted you chose Hilton Cairns as the destination for the celebration. Thank you for the kind acknowledgment of our service and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

John Lucas| General Manager
London
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We've recently been lucky enough to spend 10 nights at the Hilton in Cairns as part of our trip around Australia. We booked a long stretch to give us some rest from the travelling and to give us enough time to enjoy all the attractions that you can see in and around Cairns. The Hilton was perfect!

Months before we started travelling I had some dialogue with the hotel and the personal attention the Manager John Lucas gave me was exceptional. Fantastic that he replied personally to my emails and that he responds to Tripadvisor reviews personally - great customer service.

This continued when we got to the hotel. As I'm a Diamond Priority Club member we we're looked after very well and much enjoyed access to the Executive Lounge. I can't sing the praises of Anne the lounge manager highly enough. She was fantastic and her efficiency and attention to detail added a new level of customer service. She anticipated what we needed without us having to ask! All her team were wonderful and we enjoyed the banter with all the ladies who worked in the lounge - they looked after us royally with lovely food and drinks as well as advice and tips on local attractions, tours, transport and restaurants. They made us very welcome and we're extremely friendly. We loved having an extended breakfast to start the day and just hang out in the lounge to drink tea, read the papers and use the WiFi. We'd come back just for Anne and her team!

Our room was lovely - good size, huge bed, lovely bedding, big TV, desk, lovely relaxing reclining chair, great bathroom and shower. All spotlessly clean. We we're lucky enough to have a balcony overlooking Trinity Inlet which was wonderful. Especially watching the thousands of Fruit Bats flying over every evening - we loved them!

The location of the hotel is perfect. You want to see the Great Barrier Reef - the hotel is next to the marina where all the trips leave so perfect. You want to stroll along the esplanade and go to the lido - right by the hotel. You want to enjoy the shops, bars, restaurants in Cairns centre - all a short stroll from the hotel. You want to get a bus to Palm Cove - the buses all pick up just in front of the hotel. Also it is right on Trinity Inlet so you are literally on the waterfront.

We wanted to do several tours and the tour desk in the hotel did everything for us - all of which could be charged to our room. The ladies on the desk we're helpful and made it all very easy.

It's the personal detail that really makes a hotel stand out. I mentioned that I had blocked ears after scuba diving and within minutes John Lucas the manager had given me the number of a local doctor that he used and could recommend. On our last day when Anne in the executive lounge knew our flight time she had suggested and arranged a late check out and a taxi to the airport before we even needed to ask. That's great service!

Also a plus for us was the nice pool area - with lots of shade if you wanted it which we did (also plenty of loungers in the sun if you prefer).

The ten days flew by and we would return in a second! On this trip we're visiting 4 countries and staying in 7 different hotels - all 5 star and the service we've had at the Hilton in Cairns is the best!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the waterfront if you can.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timothys
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Timothy,

Many thanks for the Tripadvisor comments. I’m so pleased you’ve enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to properly relax and take in the many sights and activities our wonderful region has to offer.
Special thanks for making mention of Anne and her team – they consistently do a tremendous job and I know they’ll be pleased to receive your personal recognition. I know you’re regular and adventurous travelers so a return to Cairns is unlikely anytime soon, however I hope your next holiday takes you somewhere within the Hilton network. !

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I loved this hotel. It was clean, and very comfortable. It is in a great location, and close to all of the jettys. You can walk to the Esplanade, and there are many places to eat within walking distance. The wifi was a bit of a hassle as it is only complimentary in the lobby. As you can imagine, the lobby is always packed with people trying to access the network which makes the internet run very slow. I recommend bundling your breakfast package with the initial purchase of the room. It is worth it, and cheaper prior. The restaurant looks at to the ocean, and has a great backdrop to the water and mountains. I would definitely stay here again. It was a great hotel, and great find!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christina A
John L, General Manager at Hilton Cairns, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Christina,

Thank you for the review of Hilton Cairns. It’s great to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us and made the most of the unique waterfront location – just a short walk from almost everything our great city has to offer. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.