“A BIT TIRED, BUT GOOD VALUE & WATERFRONT LOCATION”
Review of Acacia Court Hotel

Acacia Court Hotel
Ranked #62 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 5 September 2012

If you want a cheap place to stay in Cairns, this is worth a try. The fittings, linen, etc. are old and tired, but very clean. For an extra $10 you can get a waterfront room which I feel is worth it. They also have motel units out the back which are really cheap. It is a 20 minute walk into Cairns, or else a taxi costs between $8 and $10. The buffet breakfast is good with a great selection of food. The check in staff could do with some 'personality lessons', but all I wanted was a cheap bed, and that is what I got.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Acacia Court Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2012

My first recent trip to Carins with my 11yr old son for his birthday, we were very excited untill we arrived at reception of this Hotel, there were 4 staff behined the reception desk, not one of them acknowledged us with our tone of luggage, finally one (Jeanette, who is the worst) of them looks up and says "can i help you" i said i would like to check into our room and she said your to early, i said i just got off the plane i cant help that, she said leave your bags over there and go for a walk into town, she didnt even give me a check in time, i had to ask. When we got back she still didnt acknowledge who i was and said "can i help you", again i had to tell her that i wanted to check in to our room, she gave me the keys (no eye contact, no apologies for the stuff up) and vouchers for breakfast, i asked what time is breakfast open and where do we go, she said 6 and pointed "there", headed up to our room i noticed that the voucher has only one person on it, should have 2! They fixed that with no apologies.

The bed was so hard, they only gave me 1 extra blanket to put under me for comfort. Every single satff member in that hotel is RUDE, even the waiteress.

Only good thig about this place was the view from our room.

Be warned!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We have stayed here a few times in transit beore and found it basic and clean at a good price and a good breakfast. We found the night staff here to be unfriendly before but after our last dealings with them we will never stay here again. On our last trip we stayed here in transit on two occasions in June/July. We stayed first in the budget motel rooms and then in the hotel.

We found the following pros and cons:
Pros:
Hotel rooms basic but clean
Good price for transit in hotel and budget motel rooms for expensive Cairns
Good breakfast buffet
The wonderful Jeanette who is on reception in the day. She is welcoming, cheerful, helpful and friendly.

Cons:
The most unfriendly and unhelpful night time reception staff I have ever encountered anywhere in the world. They were unpleasant and outrightly rude in their dealings with us on this stay. We came down late one evening to ask where to go and eat as we had been sleeping after 25 hours travelling. The receptionist saw us coming to talk to him (with smiles on our faces I might add), pointed to the taxi phone and went and stood out the back of reception so he did not have to speak to us. On our return around 12.30pm we had to ring a buzzer to get back into the hotel. The same receptionist snapped NAME! over the intercom, when I told him he then snapped ROOM NUMBER! when I fumbled to find my key he yelled it out at me again. We were both very offended by his attitude.
The male receptionist earlier in the evening is only slightly better in his attitude with all enquiries met with a Ï've got better things to do" manner. He also answers most enquires by pointing to the taxi phone. We asked if he could book us a taxi for our early departure to the airport and once again the finger pointed to the taxi phone and that was all we could get out of him apart from an impatient look like we should have known he was far too busy to do anything for us apart from hand over keys!
The budget motel rooms are accessed through the main hotel lifts when you arrive, but then the glass doors leading back into the hotel from here are locked during the night. We were never told this at any time by the uncaring staff and found this out at 4am when we tried to get back to reception to check out. You have to carry your luggage down the steps and then go through the NAME! ROOM! routine again to check out.
The budget motel rooms are just that, dismal basic budget rooms that look like they had their last refurb in the 70's, that is why they are cheap (for Cairns).
Long way from the main parts of Cairns if you are a tourist staying for more than a transit and taxi's are not cheap.
Quite a few undesirable types hanging around outside at all hours.

Like I said, we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fayvans
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We booked from 13 of August until 19 of August. We Read reviews before comming to hotel about reception staff. But we couldn t belive it untill we experienced ,so unfriendly and unprofesional ppl work in this hotel at reception,we been to many hotels around world but never in life experienced such arogant reception.On the end we left one night before check out date, volontarely checked out. We were so disscused with reception only one man name Cris was so so Ok all others specialy that rude man i dont know name was arogant and sooo rude please DO NOT go to this hotel. Only highlights is Buffet Dinner(cheap 23$) exelent seafood and some restourant stuff was nice. PS. You have been warned about reception.
Zack. B Melbourne

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zack B
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My experience was very bad..I arrived at the venue to be told they had no record of my booking, I was told to take a seat by the lady on reception and they would sort it out.. I was left sitting there for 2 hours, when I went up to the desk and the lady was gone and there was a man there who had no idea I was waiting. I finally got to my room, turned on the tv and found I only had 4 fox sports channels.. Not good for a lady on her own with only the tv for company . I called reception, an hour later a girl came up who had no idea, she said she would send someone else up, after 2,hours of waiting a man came up who also had no idea , he said he would see if I could change rooms, never heard anything else that night. The next night the same thing, the man could not have cared less.. So no tv again.. Also heater did not work , and bedding was freezing .. I will never go back there.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kerry T
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Good points: generous size room, view of the esplanade, buffet dinner at restaurant downstairs, bottleshop downstairs, far away enough from cairns central. The bad points: could do with a revamp, may be too far for some people from the main area of Cairns 15-20 minute walk - usually longer for me as I like to stop and have a look around. so many things to see and do along the esplanade.

Chose this hotel as it was close by to where I needed to go. Was pleasantly surprised. A nice distance from the cairns central, good restaurants close by too or if you don't want to go anywhere, there the buffet dinner downstairs.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Very bright cheerful place, we had a room with a brilliant sea view. Located ideally adjacent to the Esplanade with all its gardens and activities. Really lovely walks available in both directions and it was only a casual 15 minute stroll to the main shopping areas.The hotel's tour booking facility was run by a most cheerful and accommodating lady.Many great things to do local and slightly further a field.Would definitely stay again and highly recommend to others

Room Tip: Better views of sea and the bay are found on higher floors
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple