“Disgusting! Falseley Advertised!”
Review of Acacia Court Hotel

Acacia Court Hotel
Ranked #62 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were looking for somewhere to spend New Years Eve on the Esplanade so as we could sit on our balcony & watch the fireworks. We googled this hotel which had rooms available with a balcony & mountain view, so perfect we paid triple the usual price being New Years Eve & off we went babysitter arranged & car packed. On arrival we were horrified to walk into our room as small as a broom cupboard, dirty, no wine glasses, and definateley NO BALCONY!! Only a roof outside our window!! So we had to walk a long way into town, buy drinks when we had brought our own,catch cabs as you would not spend 1 minute in this dirty poor excuse for a room. Had we known we would have stayed home!! And the hotel refused to refund our money despite the false advertising!! A tent would be more luxurious than this place or even a back packers save yourself the grief go elsewhere, somewhere reputable!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amarice H

Reviewed 3 January 2013

The Hotel as stated by some is NOT close to the CBD. Over two weeks between 3 families we stayed at this hotel 7 nights in all. The rooms included meals which were ok, the rooms were mouldy and old. Most things we could put up with for the price. The issue is customer service- the people behind the reception particularly the lady with all the gold bracelets and bangles on were nothing but absolute pigs, rude abrupt, couldn't find our internet booking at any time we stayed there and said "oh come back later we have been busy"
We gave the hotel many chances as not wanting to whinge but when a smile is not offered and they struggle to do the job they are employed for it makes you determined to go elsewhere, and we did, The heritage was just great, closer to town and Rosemary the manager is a gem smiling and very willing to help.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms have a view of the car park more than mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank colin t
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I spent two nights in this hotel on the seventh floor with a great view of the Cairn's Esplanade. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was ok, but they could have used a little more help at the front desk. The restaurant (buffet) in the hotel was so-so, although there are many better places to eat just a short walk away.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an ocean view room - above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This hotel is close to Cairns City Centre and on the Promenade.. nice walk to restaurants etc, but you can stay as well for the buffet. Clean and comfortable and I think all of my group enjoyed the week we spent here.. thanks!

Room Tip: Room with seeview with balcony is everything you want.. but the rest of the rooms at the back are fi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My husband and I spent a night here in an Ocean view room on the seventh floor. The view was quite nice, the room was very clean and about average size. To my surprise (after reading some the reviews here) our check in was quite promptly done by a pleasant lady who even smiled at the end. As a previous reviewer has said, you hear planes taking off and landing but I can't say it bothered me a lot. My only complaint is that the bed was way to firm for my liking, however my husband said he thought it was fine, so I guess it's a matter of opinion. All in all it was an okay place to stay, however I'd be happy to part with a little more money for a softer bed.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leanda M
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I felt quite fortunate to have got a late booking here, as my stay coincided with the influx of 60,000 tourists for the total eclipse of the sun. The room was comfortable and good value. The view was out across the sprawling rooftops of the town towards the mountains, rather than out to sea, but as I wasn't there to spend my time sitting in a hotel room, that was not a problem.
With the one very notable exception of the lady who does trip bookings (I think this was Maha, who another visitor praised), and the chap who helped me try and fix the door of my room, the staff leave a lot to be desired. I arrived from a late flight to be "greeted" by a curmudgeon at the front desk who was clearly irritated by having to deal with a guest.

The staff at reception kept me waiting for ages (it's always more important for them to be fiddling with computers than talking to people, seemingly) on several occasions, so I must have spent over an hour of my stay hanging around in the lobby trying to sort out really basic matters.

On my final evening, I arrived back to find that I could not get into my room and a piece of paper stuck to the door asking me to get in touch with reception as soon as possible. I had been locked out of my own room because I had not yet paid my full bill! Now, it may be the custom in some parts of the world to pay in full before you check out (although not a custom I have ever come across before, admittedly), but if this were the case, you might think they would have asked for payment, wouldn't you? But no, not this place. It is the height of disrespect to prevent someone from even getting into their room as some kind of "punishment". Basically, they must assume that their guests are dishonest and are going to run off without paying. I tried to complain about this, but noone was interested (they were either "new here", not senior enough, or simply couldn't be bothered). It took two attempts to sort out the door, because noone had the master key, and when that was found the lock was not reset properly. In the end, thanks to my Swiss Army Knife, I fixed the mechanism myself.

Although the hotel is right on the esplanade, it is about 2km from the centre of town. There are some but not many restaurant options nearby (the hotel does an evening buffet, I think, which didn't appeal). Internet access charges exorbitant, even by jaw-dropping Australian standards.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2012

On arrival to reception I was address as Mr Lastminutecomau (lastminute.com.au), the name of the online booking agent. Yeah!! There is a first for everything!! Rooms where clean, TV, air-con, balcony etc,and ocean view. Short walk to city center or $10AUS taxi to and from the city for or after a big night out in town. Restaurant buffet morning and night and was satisfy and very adequate. Noise from planes taking off from Cairns airport wakes light sleepers like myself at 8 in the morning. Would use this accommodation again, but always look for a room bargain online.

Room Tip: Always look for a room bargain online. Ask for Ocean view room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo