“Budget”

Ranked #61 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Maclean, Australia
“Budget”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

You get what you pay for . I chose this affordable hotel only on wanting to have an ocean view on return back to cairns for last 2 nights. Front of house staff showed little personality . Cleaning staff pleasant and smiling. Distance too great to walk to sights. Did not see anyone use the pool though this was not surprising. Wifi does not work in rooms. Would not recommend unless you were using this hotel as a base only to return to each night, as it does not give you a feel of a relaxing holiday enviourment.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shahur77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I had booked my stay before viewing the reviews on Trip Advisor. When I did see reviews I became somewhat anxious as to whether I had make a serious error! However I am happy to report that my stay in this hotel was most enjoyable.. We had an ocean view on the 6th floor, end of corridor with wonderful views across the Esplanade to the ocean beyond. The room was clean, spacious and light. Yes, the style is somewhat dated and the bed linens are of a colour scheme that went"out" years ago. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning very efficient. The balcony was a welcome bonus. For a budget hotel the Acacia Court was excellent. Contrary to other reports on this site, I found the check-in staff efficient (not overly smiley it must be admitted, but so what?) and helpful. WiFi was available at no extra cost - it did not work in the bedroom but was ok in the reception area. The breakfasts were plentiful and of reasonable standard. On site car parking was available and at no charge. My only negative was the quality of a room service meal on our send night. I would advise getting an Ocean view room on a high floor to take advantage of the view.

Room Tip: Ocean view. Higher floor. End of Corridor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed at this Hotel before when in Cairns and was very pleased with everything about it.
I did some Internet searching for prices and availability and was pleasently surprised to find that this place, which is where I wanted to stay, had a very attractive rate. I was surprised however to find that it was cheaper to book on a booking agency than direct with the Hotel.
I will agree with others, this Hotel is not a new building, but everything that I wanted was there and in good order. To start with there was always senior staff on the front desk who were pleasent and had a sence of humor. The car park is easily accessable any time.
The rooms are quite comfortable and pleanty of space to move around in. Plenty of room in Bathroom and a good shower over the bath.
Everywhere in the Hotel was spotlessly clean, especially my room.
Of course a lot of sins can be forgiven by the views that you get, no matter what side of building you are on.
The only downside was the Buffett Dinner at night in Charlies Restaurant. It is nowhere to the standard that it used to be. For what you get it is overpriced. There was no meat dishes except some small breakfast sausages. I only ate there the first night, other nights I went elsewhere.
At the end of my 6 night stay I was very happy with everything. I will certainly look at it again for future stays.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room and one on the end of building, you get to see both water and mountains.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
TI
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I'm writing this r/v at 12:20 at night having left this hotel at 10:00 in disgust. I often stay at this hotel because it's close to the airport and far enough away from the CBD to be a quiet stay.
Though tonight at 7:45 I reported a problem with the toilet not flushing and received little reassurance that the problem would be fixed or we would be moved to another room.
Benefit of the doubt given until a waiter from the restaurant was sent up to assess problem then as I was leaving the room to check out a phone call to say that the manager was coming up to check, it is now nearly three hours after reporting the problem. This was to be our first night of two paying $109.00 AUD per night. We received $65.00 refund!!!!!!Last word from the manager was "stay or be refunded $65.00 of your $218.00".........We checked in today at 12:00 and checked out tonight with our $65.00...never to return.......ripped off I was!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sam8Ti

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Selborne UK
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my fifth visit to Acacia Court - its situation at the northern end of Cairns Esplanade in a quiet part of the city and its outlook over Trinity Bay is its main attracton. The hotel is rather dated now, but its situation and reasonable charges go a long way to offset this. I did notice some re-decoration taking place during my stay. The breakfast buffet is good, and fairly priced and there is also a buffet dinner 6 nights per week. However, the attitude of the Reception staff lets the hotel down greatly. I was met by an extremely off hand gentleman, and whilst I was waiting to check in I witnessed him being extrmely rude to another guest.
This rudeness I was to experience myself the following day. This has been lovely hotel, and Ihave enjoyed my previous stays here, but the general attitude of the staff may make me think twice about a further visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ReindeerSelborne
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Believe the reviews about the hotel regarding the service and room age (ie a bit tired) but for us the view and buffet breakfast made up for these short comings. Located at the quieter end of the esplanade, we found the hotel to be good value for the few nights we were in Cairns. Knowing the service and the rooms we would be happy to stay again for the view and convenience.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I agree with most people the room was okay, location was not too bad along the seafront however as people come to cairns to swim etc could do with heating in the room. Also was greeted by an old battleaxe and even the male receptionist was not helpful. There was no notice to where the swimming pool including in the hotel information guide. Also left luggage area was not secure anyone could walk in and take it away. Welcome to cairns

Room Tip: avoid at all costs unless desperate
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends