“110% great”

Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
New South Wales
“110% great”
Reviewed 4 July 2009

The room was terrific - clean, well furnished, great view which made our short stay a great stay, one to remember. Service from Jo made us feel right at home, nothing was a bother, thanks Jo. Will definately stay when we return to Cairns

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Stayed twice at the 181 during our trip to Australia. On the first stay our room was really pretty, well furnished and maintained with a terrific view of the lagoon. Our second stay, the room was worn; tired carpet, cheap furniture, little tv on a box, etc. but still a beautiful view. So, I think it depends on which apartment you get, as there seems little consistency. Would recommend with caveats.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Cooktown
Reviewed 18 May 2009

181 is one of the best places to stay. It had everything needed to ensure a great stay. The place was clean and the Managers were extremely helpful with our enquiries. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Katanning, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2009

My husband and I recently spent 7 nights at 181 as a wedding anniversary gift to ourselves on the way home to WA from New Zealand.
The self-contained apartments are superb with nice Cairns casual furnishings, spa bath, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 balconies and plenty of lounge, dining and kitchen space including having your own self contained laundry. This is a godsend after being away for 10 days or so.
The Managers, Jo and Jack are very helpful and full of information regarding tours, sights to see and will book any tour for you at the drop of a hat.
The amenities in the apartments are great with wine glasses, coffee plungers, dishwasher and starter packs of detergent and bathroom toiletries etc.
We really couldn't want for anything.
The location is about 1.5 kms from the main heart of town but this is a very relaxing stroll along the boardwalk and we managed to do it about twice each day we were there.
There is a small supermarket and main street take away food stores 2 blocks away on Sheridan Street as well as numerous restaurants in the other hotels on the walk to town.
We would thoroughly recommend 181 for people wanting a relaxing, quiet stay which is a bit away from the hurly burly of the city but still close enough to be a part of it.
Magnificent views of the Coral Sea from each unit.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Longreach, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2009

As someone who spends half of his working life travelling, the first time I stayed at 181 I was pleased and very surprised just how nice a place it is. One of my pet hates for corporate travel is how much noise you sometimes have to put up with in hotels, with people slamming doors and carts going by your room all night. 181 gave me complete peace and rest, and it has never failed me in the few more times I have stayed.
A nice walk from the city centre along the water front is always a nice way to start the day. While some might like the city centre, I found that being a short distance was not an issue with me, as I soon discovered a number of wonderful dining places all within walking distance, including a Bali style one.
The rooms offer all that is required, be it for 2 days or two weeks. Of the many rooms I have stayed in, not one of them has come up as a lemon. Some have wonderful outlooks towards the mountains that sometimes have a light covering of rain to remind you that you are in the tropics; other views are across the bay or out to sea.
The pool is wonderful for a swim, or just to catch up on some reading time with a good book. Its location is perfect if you need a place to base yourself for a while and you want to be able to cook your own meal every now and again, or do a little laundry before you head off again.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric P
Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I had stayed at 181 before for a week so when I knew I was going again for work I requested it, and was given an even better room than before! I loved the pool, the verandas, the large in-room spas. It is right on the esplanade, and a pleasant walk from the lagoon. I think if you had a higher floor than me the view would be spectacular.

If you stay for a while like I did, the rooms are flawlessly serviced - restocking washing/dishwashing powders too! The staff were very friendly and went beyond what was necessary to help me out. It is RIGHT next to the hospital which was handy for work, but could maybe be a drawback for others.

I would definitely request it again.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, spa
  • Disliked — uncomfy sofa is all
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2008

181 The Esplanade is a well appointed apartment situated approximately 1km from Cairns CBD. This location was quiet and our seventh floor apartment commanded views of the coast and outlying areas. The apartment was neat and tidy and well appointed.
A very quiet and restful location situated close to the CBD.