“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stay at this hotel each time we visit Cairns as it is a excellent hotel. Beautifeul, modern, spacious rooms and suites.
Friendly, efficient and great staff. Cheap valet parking. Good location, with nice views of water and mountains.
Large and lovely bathrooms with relaxing spa baths.
We stayed on a Saturday night and a number of loud party buses, cars and people went past, so not the quietest hotel, but this is OK as it is in the city!
Can not recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to have return guests with us and we thank you for your generous comments. I see you were in our region coinciding with the Carnivale festival is Port Douglas and hope you had the opportunity to join in the festivities. Now is a wonderful period in Cairns with beautiful weather and many exciting activities and festivals. We hope to see you back with us again at the same time next year!

Adrian Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed just a single night in a deluxe room with my partner at the end of our week long holiday around Carins & Port Douglas. This was the last night before our trip back home.

I stayed in a deluxe room which features a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs, and a spa bath. Although this has been commented on before - be aware that the spa is only big enough for a single person - if you want a larger spa to fit 2 people you will need to book a suite.

The hotel itself is quite nice, the bed was really comfortable and the pillows were amazing. The shower was spectacular, the water pressure was amazing - I can saw without a doubt it's probably the best shower I've ever used at a hotel!

The casino, while small, has what you would expect. We were here on a Friday night so it was pretty busy, but earlier in the day when we checked in it was pretty empty. There's also 2 restaurants in the hotel/casino and a few bars as well.

My only negative comment is around the checkin, and for the majority of people this wouldn't' be an issue - but if us it was. My partner and I have been together for about 4 years and we're gay in a committed relationship. We sat down to checkin and were greeted very warmly by one of the staff, the way things were handled after this point was pretty poor, and quite frankly I've never been so uncomfortable checking into a hotel ever before. After our reservation was checked my partner was asked if he was on another booking - he wasn't. Then after a few more key strokes we were asked "oh, so you're sharing the bed then". We've visited many hotels together and I must say this is the first time this has happened. We get the usual "OK, so we've got you in a suite with a KING bed" from time to time, but we've never been questioned like this TWICE. Given the fact that this is a 5 star hotel and we're not in the 50's I wouldn't have expected this.

To be clear about my score, the checkin dropped this down from a "very good" to an "average", and I must stress this is unlikely to be an issue for the vast majority of the guests. That being said, given the General Manager reviews the comments and I'm sure will address the checkin issue I'm likely to stay here again as it is quite nice.

1 Thank ZapoAUS
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 23 May 2011
Thank you for your review. Although I'm delighted that you enjoyed our hotel I sincerely apologise for the nature of your check in. Typically our service team are sensitive to individual guest needs and I am sorry that on this occasion one of our team got it wrong. Based on your feedback I have discussed your review with our front office service team to ensure we better handle all service interactions in the future. All in my team apologise for making you feel uncomfortable on arrival and I am certain the team have learnt from your feedback.

I remain available should you wish to contact me directly. Again thank you for your feedback and for the positive comments you made about all other aspects of your stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 May 2011

From the moment we arrived all our cares were taken care of from luggage to check in to parking to familiarisation with amenities. The concierge on the night was outstanding and couldn't be more helpful. We were looked after better than family and to top it off with a genuine smile on their faces...it helps when you work in such a delightful place as far nth Qld!! The room was fantastic, bed divine, wish I could have taken it home. Overall we wished we didn't have to leave.

Well done Accor I'm sure you would attract more customers if all your hotels provided genuinely friendly helpful staff that went about their business with a smile just like this one

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Thank you for your review. As the weather starts to get colder down in Warrnambool it is no surprise that you enjoyed your time with us in the Tropical North! My team will take great pleasure in your wonderful feedback.

I note that you were with us on business, please contact me directly if we can be of assistance to you again. I look forward to personally welcoming you when you are next in Cairns.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed at the Pullman Reef Casino hotel from 8/5/11 to 12/5/11 and what a wonderful stay it was. We arrived at the hotel around 10am thinking we could put our bags in storage until check-in however our room was ready so they let us up to settle in. We were on level 5 with a city view which was pleasant. The room was very nice, with a king size bed and a nice bath tub where you could slide back the doors which opened into the bedroom. There was a little balcony with a table and two chairs and the toilet had it's own separate room with a basin which was a nice touch. I loved the shower, decked out in marble with a bench so that you could sit and just let the water pour over you if you felt lazy. We booked the breakfast package and had a fully cooked breakfast with the continental buffet every morning we stayed at the hotel. The Tamarind Restaurant where they serve breakfast is very good (Holly, our waitress most morning was very nice) and they also serve Dinner which the food is spectacular. We are not keen gamblers but it was fun to walk around the casino, have a drink and play the pokies. They also have the wildlife zoo which is ontop of the Casino in the glass canopy but we decided to wait until we come back next time as they advertised that by late 2011 it will also have flying foxes and obstacle courses you can swing on through the zoo and a sky walk outside the glass roof of the casino. They also have two other restaurants in the hotel but we did not dine there but they both always looked busy. We tried out the roof top pool, it was a little cold (colder than the ocean at 26 degrees) and the spa was also cold so that was a bit disappointing. We did use the sauna which worked well and there was a small gym guests could use. The staff were always very friendly and accommodating to us when we wanted something or asked questions. The hotel also provides guests with 30 minutes use of their internet in a connectivity lounge which has 3 terminals and a printer in the lobby area which came in handy for us when booking and confirming the several tours which did around Cairns. I would recommend this hotel to all friends and family and we will definitely be coming back to the Pullman next year for our annual trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very comprehensive review! We are delighted that you had such a great time in Cairns and hope that you were also able to take in the fabulous touring options of our region. Our concierge team are a fantastic resource to use to ensure you experience the best of the Tropics.

I see you plan to return. Please feel to contact me directly when you are next planning to stay so that I can personally welcome you.