“Absolutely Loved it Perfect Location and Service is Beyond 5 Star”

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have stayed at the Reef Casino several times over the last couple of years and thought i should write a review. On each trip to Cairns there is only one place we stay and that is here.

The staff just make this place warm and welcoming always greet you by your name that really goes the extra mile for me and are always asking how your day was is there anything i can do for you. They really want to go the extra mile to help you with your stay here to ensure it is as good as it can be.

The staff valet park the car after the first day i didnt even need to say my name they just knew me and my room and got the car with minimal fuss i love the personal service the reception area is stunning with its beautiful flowers and super clean.

The room we always stay in a junior suite and with mountain and water views it is just beautiful, the big spa overlooking the ocean and the marble shower with seat looking over the ocean is stunning to. The room is huge with a good lounge area and office desk the bed is HUGE and soo comfortable love it.

We also go out for dinner each night at various restaurants around Cairns and the reception staff are only to willing to book a table and assist with directions and reviews on the restaurants, it is nice to come home after dinner and get back to your room with the bed turned down all the lights dimmed and blinds closed really makes it feel homely not to mention the chocolate and water on your bedside table. The house keeping service is 5 star to never encroaching on your personal space we never saw them each day but came home to a beautifully clean room.

Breakfast each morning is just divine there is no menu, you just make it up and in a short amount of time there it is, thats what i call good service after the first day no need to tell them your room number the staff once again with their personal service remember you and your room!!

The hotels location is about 5 to 10 mins walk from all areas including the night markets and a leisurely walk from the Cairns Central and the Esplanade the facilities and gardens are always maintained green and lush and very tidy.

If there is only one problem i could pick with the hotel is that it needs a quiet lobby bar to unwind after dinner to kick back and have a piano playing and a cocktail is what i would like to see. There is a bar near the casino entrance but after having dinner and walking back to the hotel we would like to kick back and have a quiet relaxed chat and a cocktail or drink in peace not at the noisy casino bar.

Other than that this is my favourite hotel i have stayed at and wished there was one of these in every city its just very personable warm and welcoming congratulations on being such a top hotel.

1  Thank DrRedgrave
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Thank you for your review. We delighted to read that you enjoy your time with us so much that you keep returning! I am especially pleased to read that you find our staff provide high quality service, they will be delighted to read your comments.

I note your comments regarding a quiet bar. We have a number of bars and a nightclub on the property although these are often very active areas. I would recommend two options: a drink on the terrace in our Tamarind restaurant. This is typically quieter and on a warm night is lovely to sit outside. Alternatively our hotel lobby lounge is very quiet and like the rest of the hotel is separated from the casino and entertainment areas of the property. Our staff are only too pleased to provide service to you there.

I look forward to seeing you next time you are in Cairns.

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I can't believe this hotel garnered so many rave reviews -- I certainly booked it because of them. It may just be that all the other hotels in the area are so awful by comparison, which certainly seems like a possibility, but I can't recommend this one. It wasn't especially bad, just not top-notch or even worth what we paid. The check-in experience was poor -- from not having a ramp to bring up our heavy bags to being outright ignored when we requested a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevator but were placed right across from the elevator on the 2nd floor before we complained and were moved to a room more to our liking which was clearly available. Even so, we paid for an ocean view room, but the design of the hotel means these rooms are right above the entrance to the hotel as well as right over the ocean road, which can be quite rowdy. It was not an easy sleep. The casino atmosphere is bizarre, and the restaurant food there is terrible. The breakfast, which my cousin and I got included, was limited. We went to the Wildlife Dome, which was pretty cool, but sort of adds to the overall weird design of the hotel. Even the trick of the room, bathroom doors that open from the tub, means you can hear everything in the bathroom, unpleasant if you're not close and still annoying if you're the early-riser trying not to wake your partner. It's even a bit of a walk farther from the Esplanade and the wharfs than other highly rated hotels like the Shangri-La. Free internet on two Macs in the lobby. Two good things to point out -- shoutout to concierge Matthew for being better than absolutely everyone else and a shoutout to the amazing shower. Otherwise, I'd try another hotel in Cairns.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Wolch

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Typically our guests enjoy the comfort of our rooms and the shutters that open the bathroom to the views of the room. Contemporary hotel design for 5 star properties is increasingly adding this as a room feature in many international hotels. Unique for our property is a separate toilet and washroom that provides for complete privacy.

I note your comment on our property's food: Our casino restaurant provides for high value, quick service bistro meals. I am sorry that this did not meet your needs. As an alternative I recommend our multi-award winning Tamarind offering a high-end dining experience showcasing the best of local produce matched with professional experienced service staff. There is also Cafe China Seafood Restaurant and the Cafe China Noodle bar.

Thank you for pointing out our free internet services. We have this provided in three iMacs in the Connectivity Lounge as well as free WiFi in our public areas and hotel lobby and lounge.

I am sorry that you missed the ramp to the hotel entrance. In line with Australia building standards we provide an all access ramp to the hotel front door. This is immediately next to the stairs that you refer to in your post. Our concierge staff are on hand to assist guests with luggage or in using the ramp (I refer guests to the property video available on this site that shows the handrail to the ramp on the RHS of stairs at the entrance).

Again thank you for your post and I welcome direct contact from all our guests while in house if there is anything further we can do to ensure you have an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us. I do hope you left with great memories of the amazing Reef and Rainforest here in Cairns.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

We were referred to sugar land car rental by the hotel. When we returned the car the owner got on her Hands and knees and found a scrape under the bumper and wanted us to pay for it. We only had the car 6 hours and did no damage. We took pictures of the car before leaving and even had to walk two miles back to the hotel. We brought this to the mgr at the hotel but were told this was the only rental company they work with. Find another car rental company on your own if staying at this hotel. Otherwise 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with our property. It is always disappointing when matters such as your car rental experience sour your time on holidays. I am aware of this incident and am pleased that our team were able to make arrangements with the car rental company to ensure you were not charged for any damage.

We typically recommend Europcar internationally for all our properties as we have preferred rates that our guests can take the benefit of. We suggest that guests should book early as last minute plans will often mean that cars are not available. In such instances we have found Sugarland to be professional and again in this matter we note that no charge was applied for car damage.

I look forward to personally welcoming you when you are next in Cairns.

Reviewed 2 June 2011

I went on a holiday with my mum to Tropical North Queensland and stayed our first night at the Pullman in Cairns. From first arrival when were greeted by very friendly staff and when we walked into the room there was definate Wow factor. There were 2 double beds in the room and a nice bug spa bath. The shower had a double shower head and a bench seat and there was a Cappucino machine in the room, for someone that does not use those machines it would have been handle to have a manual in the room. It was also great to be in the casino and the Tamarind restaurant was amazing to eat at for both dinner and breakfast. Would definately stay here again if i went to Cairns.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I stay at the Reef Casino almost annually as a wedding anniversary treat. The staff have always been exceptionally friendly and helpful, the beds are very comfortable, and the Tamarind restaurant is one of the best in Cairns.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you are with us each year for your anniversary celebrations. Combined with our multi-award winning Tamarind restaurant we are a wonderful hotel for romantic getaways and milestone events.

I look forward to welcoming you back again next anniversary!

A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The service was great from the time we checked in till the time we checked out. The room was great, and the bed.... Oh.. I have never had a better sleep in a motel room ever (and I travel alot for work) Usually I travel for business and this was supposed to be just a business trip, but I decided to spend a few extra days and bring my wife along. She also had a great time and loved the Place. We will be back someday.
The only thing that annoyed us was someone smoking in the next room and the smoke was coming around the balcony and into our room. We had to close the doors and were not able to enjoy the view and fresh air. Hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Well done on extending your business trip to take a few extra days to enjoy the beauty and adventure of Cairns and the tropical north! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in the region and at our hotel and will be looking to come back again.

We look forward to having you with us when you do return.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

If you want to be in town, this is a great place to stay. Even though most of the hotels in Cairns have had or are being refurbished - this hotel is starting to look old and dated.
This hotel is not really set up to accommodate a family, though can have rooms next to one another- but at extra expense. Their beds and pillows are to die for, so comfortable.
The spa in the room is definitely a decider to book this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. While it is true that other hotels such as the Novotel and Mercure in Cairns have undergone refurbishment, we spend a lot of time and money on maintaining our rooms. Our room design, as shown in the images on this site, is a more classic room with a great sense of tropical Queensland. This is highlighted by the garden balconies and the plantation shutters. This is a deliberate design brief and differentiates our property from the many minimalist hotel rooms found in Sydney or Melbourne.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our beds and in-room spa and that our service team provided friendly and knowledgeable service.