“Pick your room wisely”

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 19 June 2011

At the outset, let me say this is a fabulous hotel. The fittings, professionalism of most staff and general vibe of the place is sensational. Apart from a very dated entrance doorway to the lobby, most things were first-class.

However, we were given a room right above the loading bay - which we were not aware of at the time, and spent the first night woken virtually every single hour by bins loads of bottles being tipped into a recycling bin below us on a Monday night (room 212). Presumably the casino bars empty their bins all through the night and I would suggest the hotel could benefit by asking casino staff to hold off empyting these until well into the next morning. I went down to complain to the overnight duty staff member at 4.30am. So, at almost $300 per night, our first night was non-existent.

The overnight staff member told me that someone would contact me when day staff arrived after 8am, which I accepted as being reasonable and went back to bed, as the casino had closed by then. They didn't. I went back down at 10am to follow up and the day staff members had no record of my complaint. Sorry - not good enough for a 5-star hotel. The lady at the front desk kindly arranged a room transfer to 503 where we thoroughly enjoyed our remaining 2 nights.

As we booked through Hotels.com, I fear we were deliberately given a dud room over the loading bay (212) and, having paid in advance, had no recourse. I read of everyone else's water views and delightful stay and just wish we had started on the right foot. There was no apology or acknowledgment of our problem and no apology for the complaint not being recorded (even though the european man who took my complaint wrote it all down).

That aside, the hotel is in a sensational location and is handy to the city centre, the casino and has first-class concierge staff - Matthew and Andrew were so refreshingly genuine and helpful. The China Cafe in the casino foyer was sensational.

Room Tip: Avoid the city rooms above the loading bay
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank GumnutMelbourne
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thank you for your review. As discussed in our direct correspondence again please accept my apologies for the difficulties you encountered on your first night. This was caused by a new staff member not understanding our process. Our standard procedure is to leave bottle bins in the basement until normal daylight hours to avoid any guest impact. Following your comments we have raised this with our bars team and retrained where necessary to ensure we do not have any other impact on our guests' enjoyment.

I can also assure you that your room allocation was not made as a result of any prepaid booking channel and despite the one off noise you experienced the room allocated is otherwise a beautiful room. Naturally all our guests are important and we strive to ensure all our guests leave delighted regardless of how the booking was made.

I am pleased to read that after the first night you enjoyed your stay and found our service team helpful. I hope to personally welcome you back when you are next in Cairns.

Adrian Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (2,039)

Reviewed 17 June 2011

This was our second stay at the Pullman. We were greeted warmly upon arrival and found our upgraded room to be fantastic. The water views made it so easy to sit on the balcony and relax. The Tamarind restaurant was fantastic - highly recommended. The other cafes and restaurants cater for all tastes. A handy location too- with shopping just a short stroll away. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read that you are a return guest and have again enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments on our signature restaurant Tamarind. Tamarind is Cairns' most awarded restaurant and we are please you enjoyed your experience with us.

I look forward to personally welcoming you when you return next.

An Accor traveller
Innisfail
Reviewed 15 June 2011

1  Thank An Accor traveller

Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Pullman Reef Hotel is a gem. The staff are as helpful and friendly as any Five Star hotel ( Four Season, Etc).... but a much better price. After staying almost a week I did not find anyone who was not helpful, pleasant and accomodating.

The hotel rooms are very nicely appointed and the lobby and public spaces were elegant. The hotel design allows you to come and go and not go thru the Casino, unlike most Vegas hotels.

The location is on tne boardwalk and is excellant. Any part of Downtown including all the restauarants are within a five-ten minute walk. I would go back with out hestiation

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room... over look the canal.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AndrewCharles11

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to have you all the way from Toronto. Although we may not have Tim Hortons in Australia I am sure you will have found everything else in Cairns was a trip to remember (and I would argue with better coffee than Timmys too!). We appreciate your comments and hope that you spread the word about the beauty of Cairns.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed overnight on a quick business trip to Cairns and loved everything about this hotel. Pullman Reef is in a great location in the centre of Cairns and faces the water. The rooms are perfectly decorated with a stylish yet relaxed tropical feel, the facilities (including conference rooms) are spot on and the staff are exceptional. This is a stylish and very guest friendly 5 star hotel. I will return for a leisure trip so that I can take the time to soak up all that Pullman Reef has to offer.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lynWollongong
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2011

Thank you for your review. As a seasoned traveller (ref the number of your posted reviews) we highly appreciate your comments. Coming to Cairns on business often means that you miss out on the best of the region so we do hope to see you return for a more leisurely visit where we can assist you in discovering the hidden secrets of Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef!

I look forward to personally welcoming you when you are next in the Tropical North.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We researched hotels in Cairns and found in general The Pullmans was the best. Lots of good things to say. Staff really the best especially Mathew. He was so kind and helpful. Efficient and fast chech in, again front staff very, very nice. Bed the best there is and lovely pillows. Location very good and close to everything. Would have to say the best hotel we have stayed in.... Except our carpet was filthy and had what looked like blood stains on it. Housekeeping came up and cleaned it but we were not offered another room. One staff member said it was unacceptable and I have to agree. On the Tuesday evening I slipped and fell badly on the driveway of the hotel on spilt water. I was offered a cold pack but although we stayed for another 3 days management didn't didn't follow up to see how I was. Nearly 1 week later I still have a bruised foot. These incidents colour ones stay. In fact I was quite shaken and would have appreciated follow up by management. On the plus side the hotel did have barriers put up immediately so no one else would fall.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank rosietas

Thank you for your review. I have personally addressed these issues in our recent telephone conversation and again we wish you a speedy recovery from your fall. We never like to hear of anyone having an accident impact on their time in Cairns and we hope that you were still able to enjoy the beauty of our region.

I note your comments regarding the carpet and I can confirm the red wine stains have been rectified. Although small, we have now replaced the carpet in that room and apologise this was not addressed prior to you entering the room per our normal standards.

Thank you again for your comments.

An Accor traveller