“Luxurious large hotel with gambling”

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Luxurious large hotel with gambling”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and found staff friendly helpful and willing to provide detailed tourist information as well as assist with dinner reservations.
We booked our room through the Accor website and got a great deal on a King size Suite with jacuzzi tub. The room was luxuriously appointed with quality fittings and furniture. There was a sink in the separate toilet room separate from the main bathrrrom which also had 2 sinks and a lg stand up shower. The bed was very comfortable and a pillow menu was available.

I took a jump in the pool which was interesting as it is not at ground level. I enjoyed sitting in the outdoor hot tub while hundreds of bats flew overhead.

The gambling was of no interest to my wife and I and we skipped the hotel restaurants so I can't comment on them. There are cafes nearby for breakfast and plenty of tourist shops. We found plenty of very tasty less expensive restaurants that were not too many blocks away.

The water views from the room were good and we sat on our balcony and enjoyed the bay vista although there is construction underway below which is an eyesore.

Minor complaint: Parking is under the hotel and a bit of a pain as I ended up circling the hotel multiple times while we were there.

This Pullman is a great luxurious hotel for those who like gambling & opulence. For me, I liked quieter Port Douglas & the Pepper's resort in P.D. much more. I probably would not return to Cairns to stay for the night, but instead return to PD or Palm Cove.

Room Tip: Top floors are better
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Wayne R, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Vardon,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino.
It is great to read that you enjoyed the room and our team were friendly and helpfull. Our fantastic team, excellent service, great location and luxurious facilities enjoyed by yourself have helped us to win the Luxury Accommodation award at the recent TNQ Tourism Awards.
We do thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Warm regards
Wayne Reynolds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
Lille, France
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed in Cairns for business purposes in Feb 2012. We selected the hotel through the Accor website. The value was exceptional. A king size bed and spa for two nights including breakfast for under $380. We were shocked however, when upon checking in, we were advised that we were on a smoking floor! I haven't stayed in a hotel that allows smoking for years. We could "upgrade" for an extra $20 per night! I was outraged and didn't hesitate to tell them so. I advised that a: I wouldn't stay on a smoking floor and b: I wouldn't pay any extra to move to a non smoking floor. We had earlier been advised that the hotel was booked out and that was why we were allocated a smoking floor. This was obviously a lie. We didn't see anyone on our floor when we were booked into a non smoking floor at no extra cost. The only people in the corridor were the chamber maids. Cairns is dead at this time of the year due to the economy and in particular the weather.
Having moved on from the checking -in process, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was clean, spacious & well appointed with the luxury of a separate toilet!! Breakfast was continental buffet with a hot meal ordered. The meals were tasty, plentiful, prompt and hot. We had a look at the pool, but, as there was a fairly amorous couple in there, we declined to take our chances. There are two restaurants within the hotel both are asian food. We tried the cafe in the casino (neither of us are gamblers) and the food was very good. All meals were under $12. There were roasts, steaks (a bit thin) chicken schnitzel lasagne etc. All good pub food. The hotel is within walking distance from the marina. Shops and restaurants are close by. The staff (apart from the check-in fiasco) were all friendly & helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Wayne R, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino.
On behalf of the hotel I do apologise for the inconvenience caused at check in, we do often fill on the weekends, even in the wet season and at times cannot furnish all requests.
It is pleasing to read that our team managed to redeem themselves and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Kind regards
Wayne Reynolds
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My sis, partner and I stayed at this hotel for overnight in Apr 2010 (sorry for the late review, I have to select Mar 2011 in order to write this review) at the Junior Suite 2 double Beds City View with spa, waiting for the other group to arrive on the next day, so we decided to pamper ourselves.

The room is massive, it is so comfortable, that I didn't even want to leave the hotel. I have been to Cairns so many times, I love love the city.

Room - big bed, bathroom is slightly old, but still massive and comfortable, we had a roll. We ordered room service for lunch and the portion was quite generous, obviously came with a big bill, but at least out of all the room service that I have ordered, this one certainly was worth it.

We went for a dip at the pool, the pool itself was fantastic, however you have to go through the gym to go into the pool and the air con inside the gym was so freezing and it wasn't a nice walk back to our rooms after getting wet.

The pool was great, except that we had some hotel guest staring at us from their room balcony (not their fault), however it was kinda weird dipping in the pool, with other ppl eyeing you from their room (balcony close to the pool).

Overall experience was wonderful, would def. come back to this hotel!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family