“Nothing great.....”

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Positives- rooms are spacious, bathrooms r really good,,, breath taking view of room, comfortable bed, rooms were clean, location is in the heart of cairns with best view I guess,
Negatives-Lobby is small...staff doesnt ve knowledge about the hotel restaurants and inhouse club, swimming pool is small, poolside area is just like a roof of a home, a guy at the reception will do the job for taking ur luggage, giving u ice in the room after 9 pm, they had no anti inflammatory spray in there first aid as my wife got hurt while SCUBA dive, breakfast was not of a 5 star type with very limited options...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gursimar S
Wayne R, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Gursimar S,
Thank you for posting your feedback, it is great to see that you enjoyed the rooms. I do apologise that the pool and lobby size did not meet your expectations and that we did not have what you required for first aid for your wife.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for work and found the rooms very comfortable. It was really great to have such a nice room to relax in after a days work and shopping. The breakfast was very good and best of all off street parking available. Location is very central to all the coffee shops and restaurants or just a drink in one of their many bars.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Leanne1364,
Great to read that the location of the hotel was perfect for work and for relaxing. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to Cairns.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Our arrival and check in was smooth, we were greeted by Magnus who was very friendly and professional. We were booked into a deluxe room which was clean but smaller than we expected it to be. Unfortunately our first night was interrupted by lots of noise in the plumbing system. This continued through to about 1.00am when we rang reception to see if we could be moved to another room as the noise was so loud we were unable to sleep. While we were waiting for the night Duty Manager to locate another room we observed that water was now streaming through the drain in the bathroom floor, flooding the bathroom and extending all the way through to the entry and carpet area. When the Duty Manager arrived he very quickly took charge of the situation, getting towels so that we could safely walk,through without slipping on the flooded floor. He very quickly upgraded us to a Junior Suite and helped us move all of our luggage. The suite was lovely and the rest of our stay was fantastic. The main thing I wanted to identify was the attitude of the staff throughout our stay. They were without exception fantastic! All,of the staff were professional, friendly and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. We found out on the second day that a pipe had burst and this affected other rooms as well as ours and it must have created a bit of a headache for the staff, but we as guests wouldn't have known as all of the staff were so professional. Thank you for a wonderful stay, would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Dare2Dream1,
My sincere apologies, for all of the inconvenience caused during our plumbing malfunction. I thank you so very much for your patience. As you have noted our team are the difference and I am very proud of their fantastic service ethic and willingness to go the extra mile. We hope to welcome you back when you next holiday and give you a stay minus the midnight room moves and wet feet.
Best regards

Reviewed 19 April 2014

This Hotel took my breath away. When we got there we told told by the receptionist that we had a lovely room and she wasnt wrong!!! It was a good size with a beautiful view of the water. It was done in colonial style and the louvre doors opened up between the bedroom and the bathroom so you can have a bath and look at the view from your window in private...amazing! The staff were very helpful and the concierge who I think was called Matthew could not have done any more for us, he was truly brilliant at what he did

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Br0lga,
We do thank you for your recommendations, it's excellent to see that we were able to provide that "WOW" factor for you during your stay. Matthew our concierge is amazing, I have passed your feedback onto him, he is chuffed that he has helped.
We do hope to welcome you back when you next holiday.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is the second of our one night stays at this hotel. Rooms are beautiful, large and well appointed. What I wanted to commend was the night manager Mr. Vasudev Walie. My partner fell ill and the manager first tried to get us a doctor at the hotel, and when the timing proved unsuitable, he personally drove us to the 24 hour medical clinic in town at 6.00 am and then returned to pick us up. Accor a Hotels should be proud to have this caliber of staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Serendib100

Dear Serendib100,
Thank you for coming back to stay with us! I do hope that your partner has fully recovered, I have passed your compliments to our team member, we are very proud of our team and the lengths they will go to ensure our guests are looked after in every way.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing. We took the double bed upgrade for an extra $45 a night which had a water/city/mountain view and a balcony. It also had ensuite espresso machine and milk frother and a double spa bath. It is much more spacious than our original booking of standard 1 K. The pool was nice as well. There are a lot of places to eat at and near the hotel; however, the hotel restaurants close EARLY. This hotel is also a very short walking distance to the reef terminal where the Great Barrier Reef tours leave from. The concierge was extremely helpful with our tour bookings and also provided us with our tour towels. They also have complimentary Nespresso at the lobby for guests that you can take with you in take away cups.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Sunset007,
Thank you for chosing to stay with us, it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your room and all of it's luxurious amenities. We do hope to welcome you back when you next holiday in Cairns.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is semi-attached to the casino. The casino is arguably nicer than the hotel, and the casino is solidly mid-level. So the hotel- while maybe on the better side compared to others in town- is just okay. Lobby was unremarkable. Gym was minimal. Pool was nice. Room service was below average (I was out of options due to hotel restaurant being closed; see below). I stayed in a suite with a great water view and wrap around balcony. That was the best part of the room and best part of the hotel. The room was spacious, but the work desk was too small and the spot lights directly above the bed had no independent controls. If fact the room lights were either on or off; sometimes it is helpful to offer degrees of each. The bathroom was adequate (windows in the shower and tub were a nice touch), but the closet was too small. Internet/wi-fe was easy, if not a little slow. I can deal with the room and ultimately it served its purpose. However, the staff was really a low point. Nobody seemed to know basic information about restaurants, transportation, and local information. Asked for a nail salon, nobody had any recommendations (I found one two blocks away). Asked for bus service, they sent me to the main station closed for renovations. Asked for Thai restaurant, nobody had any information (I found one on the esplanade a few block from the hotel which was very good and I wish I could recall the name of it so that I could point others to it (it was located upstairs past the McDonalds is the best I can recall). Asked what time the Chinese restaurant in the hotel closed and I was not give a specific time only told no earlier than 10 or 11. Turns out the restaurant closes before 9. Asked for more towels, it took two calls as an many hours to spurn movement. These are just a few of the problems. None of these questions were meant to be confounding or confusing, just the basic stuff. These are signs to me that the staff is really not interested in being helpful and not engaged in creating a positive customer experience. I won't be back and I would recommend that you try another property. There is a Hilton, as well as another Pullman property across the street. They looked more than adequate and will surely be a better choice in the overall.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Latitudes_Dancer
Wayne R, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Latitudes_Dancer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am very sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occassion. I have followed up with our team members and they are equally dissappointed we could not meet your needs.
We do thank you for staying with us.