“Yes I liked it”

Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We decided in the morning last minute to stay in Cairns overnight, so as we have eaten and been to the casino a few times before we decided to stay at the hotel as a treat.

My husband called and they offered him a good package including sparkling wine in the room, breakfast, a superior king room, and $10 casion chips. I have also stayed at the Shangri-La and Rydges Tradewinds in Cairns in the last 12 months.

I thought the room was beautiful, large, amazing bathroom with spa bath, and very nicely decorated. We didn't use the pool but it looked very nice, and the sunbeds looked large and comfortable. The gym looked pretty basic.

We both had room service, and although typical 5* hotel prices (never easy on the wallet) I really enjoyed my club sandwhich, my husband had the chicken and said it was average!

Even I thought the breakfast was nice, and our voucher covered everything on the a la carte menu I was not amazed, I much prefered the Shangri-La breakfast. I also was little dissapointed in the coffee machine a nice cappuccino would have been appreciated!

One thing I didn't like was waiting to check-out, there seemed to be no order in who was next and a few people snuck in front of me! the staff however on reception, and the breakfast waiter were fantastic.

Overall it was nice, but for the same money I would try to get a deal at a club room back at the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2010

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us. You may be interested to know that we have just completed a refurbishment of our gym and now boast the only gym in Cairns with the new fully integrated TV and running programs built into the treadmills, bike and trainer. We have also installed other new equipment which we hope will address your comments.

We also offer complimentary coffee in our hotel lobby using the new Nespresso coffee system. Guests are also able to order barrista made coffee at any time of the day.

Again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to the number one rated 5 star hotel in Cairns.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

I think it has all been said before by those who enjoyed this place, so I can only concur
I think the outstanding things were...
- great location
- the quietness of the room
- the bathroom with spa that could open up to the main room
- general cleanliness
- attentive and helpful staff

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Grimace60

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many guests comment as you have on the way the bathroom opens out to the main bedroom. This is a great feature of the rooms as guests can relax in the spa and enjoy the views or television!

I hope to be able to welcome you again to the Pullman Reef Hotel Casino

Reviewed 27 September 2010

What a great place to stay. The hotel is pure luxury, the rooms are superbly appointed, including separate toilet and spa bath. The beds are quite simply the most comfortable we have EVER slept in. The location is brilliant, minutes walk from the esplanade, marina and town. We ate in cafe China which was wonderful, and the breakfast in tamarind was superb also. Why have I scored the service low? Well, two reasons. When Tamarind gets busy at breakfast the staff are hopeless, and there is no organisation whatsoever. The second day though we were earlier as we were going on a trip and the restaurant was quite - the service was much better, the staff could cope very well. Our second service problem was the concierge on the morning of 20th Sept. We only had a couple of days in central Cairns, and we wanted to see some part of the great barrier reef, so we asked about half day cruises. The concierge did everything possible to suggest it was not worth it for a half day, and suggested the crocodile tour instead. We went and independantly booked a half day trip to green Island for that afternoon and it was SUPERB. The Concierge also booked us on the Kuranda trip, but did not consult our needs and requests. We thought we were going on the first train of the day, but ended up on the second, and spent 45 mins driving round cairns on a bus picking up people, then trnsferring to another bus, before a 45 minute wait for the second train. Go independant, as we wanted to do. The only thing the concierge did right for us was show us correctly where a particular bank was.
That aside, the hotel is fantastic, and is one that we will have at the top of our list should we visit Cairns again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We get many guests commenting on our wonderful beds and we are glad to read that you also found them very comfortable.

In reference to your comments on our concierge service following your review I have implemented retraining for the staff responsible. It is essential that guests recieve the best of local knowledge and I apologise that in this instance the advice you received for tour information was not at the standard that we normally provide. Our suggestions are not made based on commissions or other inducements and can be considered independant of any operator. In this instance our staff seem to have misunderstood your needs and this is the basis for their retraining.

I would recommend to all guests coming to Cairns to visit the reef if only for half a day. For guests with limited time the Green Island half day tour is a perfect introduction to the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef. The Karanda tour including the scenic railway and Sky Rail are also highly recommended.

I hope to be able to welcome you again to the Pullman Reef Hotel Casino

Reviewed 13 September 2010

Whils the casino itself looks very dated, the rooms at teh hotel are very nice, with everything you could wish far. A balcony, a seperate toilet, a spa bath and one of the best beds I've ever slept in! Really nice, and would defiantely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2010

Dear AustraliaUnitedFan,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in Cairns and our hotel. We get a number of comments regarding our beds with most guests agreeing that they are extremely comfortable and luxurious. I will pass on your comments to my Housekeeping team as they take great pride in the way the rooms present and your comments will serve as encouragement to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us again.

Reviewed 2 September 2010

We spent two nights at the Pullman as part of brief trip around North Queensland and wished we had stayed longer. Rooms were stylish, large and very comfortable, and dining at Tamarind was superb. I'll echo the opinion of others that the "sit down" reception arrangement doesn't work well when staff are busy.
Another peculiarity that we personally did not like was the breakfast arrangement. Instead of the usual buffet, for continental you are served a fixed selection of pastries, fruit, cheese and ham. Likewise the full breakfast is a rather limited choice served a la carte. Others may think this arrangement more refined.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Oztraveller61,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and we also wish you were able to spend more times in the beautiful tropics of North Queensland. I am pleased that you enjoyed our signature restaurant, Tamarind. It is a multi award winning restaurant and a favourite with Cairns locals.

Our breakfast is a traditional breakfast buffet served to your table. Guests are able to enjoy a range of items including eggs cooked to order and a selection of a la carte options. Just like a buffet guests are able to select more of their favourite items delivered fresh to their table without the need to queue at a buffet.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you back again next time the weather in Canberra is getting too cold!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I stayed here on a business trip and was quite impressed. The hotel from the outside is nothing special, and it is not in the best location (a short walk to the main esplanade), but the hotel staff were very friendly and professional, and the rooms and food were great. I quite liked the front desk scenario with the table and chairs, but it can be a bit daunting at first because waiting guests can hear exactly what you are talking to the staff about. The room was fantastic - bed was a little too soft for me but comfortable all the same. The bathroom was perfect - spa bath, full powered shower and double basins. Food was absolutely delicious. I had the in room breakfast option and the food was all cooked and presented wonderfully. They even had soy milk on the menu for breakfast (to have with cereal) which, for a soy milk drinker, is not very common! You have to pay for parking, but at $8 a day it is hardly a deal breaker. Would recommend if you like to stay in luxurious rooms. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

Dear JazzyJeffrey

Thank you for your review. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.

I note your comment regarding the bed. Frequently I get comments from guests saying that they found our beds to be the most comfortable bed that have ever slept in and we often get requests on how to buy them. The secret is the high quality mattress specifically designed for Pullman. With this we add a feather and down pillow topper to the mattress to give added comfort and luxury. Where guests prefer a firmer sleep we can remove the pillow topper. When you are next with us please let us know and we will adjust the comfort to your needs. We then add this request to your guest profile so that every time you return your bed is set to your individual needs.

We also offer a choice of pillows to add the final touch of personalised comfort.

Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 16 July 2010

The Pullman has to get away from the “open” desk scenario in reception.
I have waited a while before sending in this review,
To give you the picture…I am seated face to face with hotel staff …Check in etc
Table and chairs.
It’s not the best situation, but it’s the way they do it.
Problem is for me. And humour me here, whilst in conversation with “front desk” about my account at checkout, I don’t need other hotel guests butting in to the side rudely asking for directions!
Pullman Cairns front of house staff will know what I mean!

Apart from that the Hotel is well appointed, clean and the 2 suites we had for us and our guests offered a great water view.
Pullman Casino Hotel Cairns (formally a Sofitel branding) is a nice hotel, but not a true 5 Star …just yet.
We would return. Staff are wonderful. Room service fantastic with no service charge.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
AdrianWilliams, General Manager at Pullman Reef Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2010

Dear NQtropics,

Thank you for your review. I acknowledge your comments regarding reception but am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and will return. I hope that next time you are with us I will have the opportunity to meet you.

Our front desk is indeed not the usual large desk building a barrier between our service team and our guests. We offer smaller sit down desk to allow our guests time to check-in without being rushed and to allow a closer, more personalised arrival.

Our concierge team and Pullman Welcomers are on hand to answer questions, provide assistance and directions. Unfortunately there are times when all staff are assisting our guests and some guests may be in a hurry and need to cut in. We apologise for these intrusions but try to assist all guests in a manner that best suits their needs.

You will be pleased to know that we have again increased our team with a new manager specifically responsible for focusing on guest service and interactions. It is with this commitment to our guests that saw the Pullman as the highest independently rated 5 star hotel by AAA tourism last year in Cairns. I hope that you will enjoy this increased level of service when you are next with us.

Warm regards,