“Excellent hotel”

Mantra Esplanade Cairns
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I do not usually write reviews, but I was very impressed with this place so I thought I would.

I did a big trip staying at a lot of places and really liked this one. This was actually the cheapest hotel (not hideously overpriced as some Australian hotels I found)I stayed in and the best.

Staff VERY helpful and organised my day trip pickups with no issues before advising places to see buses to take and where to catch them.

Hotel has a spacious reception which is glass and smart. The rooms are quite large and I was lucky to get a great view across the Esplanade.

The pool is compact but very nice, the gym is nice and spacious and free towels provided.

Hotel is located perfectly only a couple of mins walk to the reef terminal for your trips out. Also the night market is only a couple of doors down for souvenirs and food, and a McD's if close too for more reasonably priced and early doors breakfasts which I found useful.

I did not try restaurant which looked quite upmarket but it did smell good.

Generally a very relaxed and nice place which I thoroughly enjoyed staying at.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Steven m,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Mantra Esplanade.

I have passed your comments to the staff as they do like to hear that they are instrumental in helping create wonderful hoiday memories for our guests.

I hope you had a safe and uneventful trip home and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

First, this hotel is perfectly fine. THE GOODS:
- excellent location. A very short walk will get you to all key places you need to go: night market, restaurants, & fleet terminal (just few minutes walk)
- wonderful front desk staff
- good facilities in-line with price of the room (there is always some sort of specials running, so make sure to get that -- such as 3nt free)
- rooms are comfortable. The basic room has sofa, mini-fridge, tea/coffee setup, glasses & some silverware, dish clothes, and dish liquid. The 1-bedroom unit is spacious, with walk-in closet + extra storage in the living area, kitchen with 2 burners on the stove, half-sized fridge/freezer, silverware & such for having a meal, and washer/dryer for your clothes.

Now, THE BAD:
I paid AUD$60 for a 5-day/800MB wifi. For this, I got the slowest access speed I've ever experienced. Highest speed I noticed was 12Mbps, a lot of the time it was only 5Mbps or less. That is beyond painstakingly slow. Additionally, connection problems occurred multiple times each day. These issues made it nearly impossible for me to get work done. Internet access is provided by 3rd party called docomo. I called docomo to complain. They said that the access speed is controlled by the hotel. It was explained that if a lot of guests are accessing the internet at the same time, speed will become very slow. This is unacceptable. Then I asked why connection dropped frequently. Got the standard unless answer. Also, you can connect only 1 device at any one time. So, if you have a laptop & a phone, only 1 at a time can be connected (unless you want to pay X2)!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
FOM027, Front Office Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Dear Sasima,

Thank you for your feedback and for providing not only the good but also the bad.

Your comments are valuable and have been passed on to the external provider in the hope to continually improve our offerings to valued guests such as yourself.

Once again thank you for choosing Mantra Esplanade Cairns and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Melanie

Reviewed 17 November 2011

This hotel has been good for years. Sure - there are more upmarket, fancier hotels in the Cairns region... and you will pay for them! Mantra is in a sensational location, close to shops, restaurants, bars - pretty much anything you might want. Mantra Esplanade is value for money. Although some of the fittings are becoming a little dated this hotel still ticks the boxes even for a very fussy hotel patron like me.

The friendly reception staff could also teach a thing or two to staff I have encountered in far more upmarket establishments.

This is a top place to stay in Cairns. Very hard to beat for value and absolutely can't be beaten for location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank seaview088

Dear Seaview08,

Thank you for taking the time to write in about your recent stay and thank you again for your continued loyalty to our beautiful hotel.

It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests back to stay and I am so pleased our staff had made a lasting impression on you.

Melanie

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I arrived at the Esplanade after a 27 hour flight from England. I traveled with my mother, who is a pensioner, and found the journey particularly punishing. We got to the hotel, early, at about 10.00 am, and we were so pleased to find that our room was ready for us, and we could go in straight away. The room was a good size, and was really clean and tidy. The balcony was lovely, facing the Esplanade, and the sofa bed was a nice size and comfy. I used the sofa bed to avoid listening to my mother's snorning! The reception staff were friendly, welcoming, polite and could not have been more helpful. After such a long journey, to meet such friendly faces was a real relief and pleasure. One night we ate in the restaurant at the hotel, and again the staff were very pleasant. I used both the swimming pool and the gym, and was very pleased with both. I also went for runs along the Cairns Esplanade, which was just fantastic! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, and I would like to say a particular thank you to the great reception staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Dear slowrunnerHampshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.

I was delighted to hear your Australian holiday started on the right note with a memorable Mantra experience. The staff were very pleased to read they had been part of your positive memories of Cairns!

I hope you had a safe trip home and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

Firstly this is a "serviced" (limited) apartment, not a motel or hotel. Looks like some are dual keyed to give second bed and kitchenette for a higher cost and a second key ... I just paid for and used the single bedroom side of my dual key apartment.

Don't expect more than basic reception services and room service virtually non-existent. The room I stayed in was old, tired, needed refurbishing and smelled strongly of cleaning agents. In addition, a very strong heady asian cooking smell was being pumped into the corridors and rooms at the northern end of the building via the air-conditioning ... perhaps the inlet is too near the exhaust of the restaurant kitchen.

The room is also not sound proofed - there is no excuse not to double glaze windows - so the street noise that was quite significant past midnight was quite noticeable.

Wireless internet access is provided by a third party who charges $29 per day for a slow, data limited service (400MB for the 1 day). Okay for email, browsing and social networking but useless for sending larger documents, sending photos, updating operating systems and programs on one's working laptop (that is critical when otherwise you only have a limited 3G device in remote areas not that far from Cairns) ... two other places in Cairns I have been to recently charged less, with unlimited data.

Adequate bathroom, bedding and room space, but I paid $154 for the night, a price manifestly excessive for the quite average facilities provided and given my experiences in other places in town where much better service and facilities were provided for a lesser price.

Room Tip: To be honest, choose somewhere else for a cheaper option on a better quality room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Oz JohnD,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

I have passed your comments regarding the internet service to the third party provider as feedback concerning the system.

The rate does not include a daily service. A Mantra refresh can be requested at reception.

I apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay and regret you did not leave with a positive Mantra memory.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed here in a 2 bedroom apartment and could not have asked for a better place to stay.

From the moment we arrived we were blown away. The check in staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful - just as the phone reservations team were. The room has a fully supplied kitchen and laundry which made the place brilliant.

We were aware this was a serviced apartment that offers the choice for daily service at an extra cost if you want it = a fantastic alternative to charging a higher rate and including it whether the guest wants it or not. Personally I don't want people coming into my room each day so this was a bonus and it saved cash.

The location of the hotel cannot be beaten - right in the middle of the city, opposite the lagoon and park, 2 minutes from the night markets, 5 minutes from the casino, 2 minutes from the marina & restaurants.

We had an ocean view room which is absolutely worth the extra money (especially if you are on The Esplanade side & not Shields St side - the hotel is an L shape with the inside being city view rooms & the outside being ocean view).

The hotel pool & spa are protected from the severe nth Queensland sun but if you want sun on you while you swim then the public lagoon is on the other side of the street).

The stay was for myself, my other half and my mother (hence the 2 bedroom) - the make up of the room was a 1 bedroom apartment connected to a hotel room via an internal lobby with separate doors to each in the shared lobby. The doors to each can be kept open by swinging the security lock around to prevent the doors closing. This may not be ideal for a family with kids but perfect for adults travelling together.

I will never, ever shop around for a place to stay in Cairns - there is no competition & I will only ever come back to this place when in Cairns.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth the money & the higher the better
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brad W

Hi BradW,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide the feedback on your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that you and your mother had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed all that Cairns and it's beautiful surrounds have to offer.

We are very pleased we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable Mantra holiday and the staff and myself look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

We had a 1 bedroom apartment with a sea view. This resort is right on the waterfront in the CBD of Cairns. Apartments are spacious, modern and comfortable, but beware the very sensitive fire alarm when cooking! very nice pool area with heaps of sunlounge chairs.
Cairns is a great destination in the winter months, and these aprtments are great.. Free but limited parking availability, but there is penty of adjacent street parking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
FOM027, Front Office Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Dear Clive P-T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at the Mantra Esplanade.

It was a pleasure to read that you were able to enjoy all of our facilities and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Melanie Legge