“My stay in mantra esplanade”

Mantra Esplanade Cairns
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights from 19 jan until 25 jan. I had read all the the reviews about the hotel before we got there so was not expecting much, but on arrival we were presently greeted by the receptionists and were checked in quickly.
Our room was 431 overlooking the street and to the side we could see the sea which we were very pleased with. Our room was very nice and the bed was very comfortable(regardless of it being 2 single beds together) the bathroom was very nice but the shower wasn't that good , pressure of water wasn't very good but that is the only thing I could find wrong. One night I thought I had lost my mobile phone so asked reception if anyone had handed one in and was helped by a really nice girl on reception. I would just like to say thank you very much for a lovely stay even though the weather was a bit rubbish

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear Eileen M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to hear you had enjoyed your stay with us at Mantra Esplanade and thank you for the feedback regarding the water pressure in your room - I advised our maintenance manager who has since rectified the issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully the weather will be better!

Mantra Esplanade

Reviewed 24 January 2013

My family and i have stayed at the Mantra Esplanade on several occasions. The location is perfect, you could not find a more better location. The rooms are great. We have stayed in the dual key rooms on all occasions and have found them very accommodating. The views are great , the pool is nice, lots of restaurants and cafes close by. The courthouse bar is out the back of the hotel which my husband and father enjoyed as they could relax with a drink at the end of the day. The staff are friendly. When I arrived this stay the shower tap was broken. I rang reception and they immediately moved me to another room. I am currently staying as I can't get home due to flood water. I asked if I could extend my stay and the staff were very helpful. I could not ask for a better place to stay. My family and I are planning to come again soon. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are big and have a good view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mantrafan

Dear mantrafan,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Very poor value. The bathrooms are very tired and borderline gross. Mattress was worn and bedding was outdated. Overall the property has a very shop worn appearance. Be aware they charge for everything - whether its an unscheduled cleaning or extra towels. They also enforce a 10am check out. All in all - a rip off.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank robert_dfw

Dear robert_dfw,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback rearding your recent stay at Mantra Epslanade.

Our competitive rates do not include daily servicing but extra linen is available at reception free of charge. Unfortunately at times of high occupancy, we do require guests to leave the rooms at 10am to ensure we have all rooms ready for a guaranteed 2pm check in. We can store luggage and guests are more than welcome to continue using the hotel facilities.

I apologise that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations.

Geneal Manager

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here over the New Year period. We booked our room 6 months prior to ensure we got exactly what we wanted. We booked a dual key 2 bedroom with a request for 2 king beds. When we checked in, we were in a 2 bedroom apartment with no dual key and the second room had 2x single beds instead of the king bedding as requested. So we were moved to another room as we had requested a dual key room and bedding was wrong. The second room we moved to had so much mould and mildew around the air conditioner that it was a serious health risk! And so we were moved to ANOTHER room! The third room we were moved to was meant to be for other guests that hadn't checked in yet, so unfortunately those poor people probably got the mouldy room. As the evening progressed the 2 indian restaurants downstairs starting cooking and the smell of indian food came up through the vents and the room smelt like and indian restaurant which was very over powering, The beds were rock hard, the rooms were certainly not cleaned very well and the furniture and TV's really need updating. You don't get a room service unless you stay for more than 4 nights, and don't even get fresh towels!!! We had to try and air our towels out each night! The pool is very average. Really the only thing good about this place is the location, but there are plenty of other hotels right in the city centre. We really didn't enjoy our stay and would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: No rooms are good, trust me we were moved into 3 different rooms and all were terrible
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank drifters_11
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear drifters_11,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed that on your second stay with us, we did not meet your expectations.

I have passed your concerns regarding the cleanliness of the rooms to our executive housekeeper. She was upset that the high standard our housekeeping team pride themselves on, was not met on this occasion.

All our rooms have flat screen LCD digital televisions and DVD players.

Once again, my apologies for your less than ideal stay with us.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have a family of 5 so we had a double suite. We were in Cairns for a dive trip so stayed at the hotel for one night before the dive trip, and one night after the trip. They stored our bags while we did our boat trip and that was not a problem at all. The pool was very nice. The hot tub was not a hot tub and was just part of the pool with jets, but the air temp is so hot that you don't need a hot tub. We had 2 different rooms for our 2 stays and both were nice. A single door let you into 2 rooms which were also 2 separate hotel rooms. The washer/dryer was great and it provided a full kitchen with fridge which was great for keeping drinks cold. Very centrally located to local restaurants/shopping. The room was clean. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so I can not comment. Yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank preekat

Dear preekat,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and left Cairns with positive Mantra memories!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Suited all our needs, though as a family with a toddler it became apparent how filthy the floors, tiles and carpet are, her hands, knees and feet were black as we're our own. Self contained but no oven or dishwasher. Additional charges are payable for a cot or sofa bed, not mentioned through booking agent. Great central location but could use a little TLC.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Krissy J,

Thank you for writing about your experience with us when you arrived home.

I was sorry to hear you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. I have passed your comments to our housekeeping department to ensure we are doing all that we can to present our rooms in a pristine manner.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Esplanade in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at Mantra Esplanade on the 26th dec for 5 nights. The location could not be better, it is right in the centre of cairns close to the reef terminal, restaurants/shops and opposite cairns public lagoon pool. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment with city views, the apartment was spacious with a small kitchen, dining table and lounge. The bedroom was quite large and had a tv and fan. The bathroom was a bit outdated, but it was clean. It is great in terms of value, we found it to be much cheaper than a lot of other apartments in cairns. The hotel pool was large and very warm- although I dont think it is heated, it was warm due to the sun. The hotel provided pool towels and free parking if needed.

I did however experience bad service, our air conditioning was leaking buckets of water, after calling reception a lady came to our room and wiped the water with our bath towels she said she would bring up more linen. After a day our linen still was not replaced, I had to call twice, I also requested another roll of toilet paper. Our linen was finally replaced but the toilet paper wasn't, I called reception and the lady told me she was busy and to 'come down to reception and get it myself', I found this very rude and unprofessional- the apartments do not get serviced either which I thought was a very big problem due to the heat and the bed sheets and towels being sticky after a few days. When I return to cairns, Mantra Esplanade will not be my first choice of hotel due to the service and due to the apartments not being serviced daily.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NatalieDW89
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear alan0056,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about Mantra Esplanade.

I was pleased to read you were happy with most aspects of your stay and I apologise for the issue with the airconditioner and the resulting lack of linen.

Our competitive rates do not include a daily service and this is indicated when booking the accommodation. A daily service can be requested by contacting reception.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.