“Location is Great, Rooms are Average, Service is Poor”

Mantra Esplanade Cairns
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Melbourne, Australia
“Location is Great, Rooms are Average, Service is Poor”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel is in a perfect location, right near the Lagoon, 5 min walk to the marina, 2 mins to Woolworths and bars are on the doorstep. The Courthouse which is right out the back of the hotel is great for pre dinner drinks and we had lunch one day it was delicious.

The rooms leave a lot to be desired they're modern(ish) looking but everything is tired and old, our bed caved in the middle. But you get what you pay for it was cheap for that location.

The most disappointing thing for me was the service, in the 4 nights we were there the cleaner did not come once! We had to go to front desk to request some more body wash and toilet roll. I left an item in the room and realised immediately as i left so i called and they 'couldn't find it.' Its the only place i had my case open so it was definitely in the room. The dishonesty is disappointing.

On the last day we asked the lady on recpetion to help us get a taxi but she wouldnt call anyone for us. Being foreigners our phone dont work so that was unhelpful. Also security isn't great. They stored our bags for us on day 1 but when we came to collect them a different person was on reception and she asked no questions she just said go through and get them. Not very secure :-/

2 Thank Saz8008
mantraesp, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Saz8008,

Thanky ou for your review of Mantra Esplanade, Cairns.

We do have specials at times and the competitive rate that is offered does not include a daily service. This can be requested from the front desk if required and paid direct to the property.

I am sorry to hear that your experienced service issues with front desk staff and have asked the Front Office Manager to investigate further and implement training as required.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Gaye Coughlan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

New to the concept of a 'serviced' room which you have to pay extra to have cleaned. The hotel is in a great location and would recommend getting a sea facing view. Thankfully Cairns provide free wifi on the Esplanade so you don't to pay the extra which the hotel insist on charging despite the already costly rooms. Rooms are clean, comfortable and bright.

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing view. Cost extra but it's already expensive so why not!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BRIAN F
Dear Brian F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am glad you enjoyed the sea views your room provided.

Yes, the free WiFi the Cairns Regional Council has provided is definitely a bonus for travellers!

Thank you again for your time.

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Mantra Esplanade has every reason to trade on its location. Situated, as the name suggests, right on the waterfront at Cairns, the view from the front rooms is spectacular and worth that little extra. Whilst it is firmly 4 star in quality - maybe even 31/2 - it's clean and well priced. Rooms are basic hotel rooms but have everything you need. Beds aren't feather soft and super comfortable but then you aren't paying the price you need to pay for that.

Front desk staff lack a little warmth and having stayed several times at this hotel I noticed quite a cooling in the front desk friendliness this visit. Someone needs to shake that up a bit. The hotel market in Cairns is competitive and dismissive front desk staff is just inexcusable.

Would I stay again? Yes. The location is just too hard to beat but for a holiday or if I wanted a special trip to relax I would probably go for something a little more upmarket. This hotel is great for a functional business trip or maybe a short stay if you don't want to spend too much.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank seaview088
Dear Seaview088,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I have forwarded your comments regarding the front desk staff to the relevant manager as I am disappointed to hear you had received indifferent service on your return visit. Mantra Esplanade pride themselves on their customer service and we work hard to maintain the high standard.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to enjoy all the Mantra Esplanade and its surrounds offer.

sydney
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stay here 4 nights in October 2013. I think i had a upgrade because I booked a city view room, end up I can see abit of the sea ( Level 4 not high enough, so just can see abit ) But still very nice view. Dont know why Cairns city had firework on top of Hilton, lucky my room can see it, lovely.
Balcony nice view, average room size, bed and pillow are too soft for me, and its not a real king size bed, it just put 2 single bed together. Bed quilt was smelly, lucky have extra quilt that I can exchange. Air con abit too loud at night. No one clean our room in 4 days, but its not bad because no one get in to my room, ( laptops and valuable things left in room)
The good things are nice reception and staffs, and very close to everything! walking distance to wharf city supermarket restaurants etc.... only 5 mins walk.
But if only good location, its over price.

2 Thank C H
Dear C H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to hear you had enjoyed your stay in Cairns.

Adelaide
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have stayed here twice now, in both a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom (which was great). I have stayed at many Mantra's around the country and I have mostly had good stays. Not this time. I feel as though the 1 bedroom apartments are not up to scratch. Maybe I was just unlucky and got given a pokey apartment or something. First of all, recpetion state that they will match what ever rate is on Wotif or booking site. They did not do this when I pointed this out to them and charged a couple of dollars extra. I didn't think it was a big deal, until I went to pay and they told me that there was a 2% surcharge on credit cards. I ended up paying an extra $15 from the rate I initially found. The location of this place is great, perfect in fact. The lagoon pool is at your doorstep. Woolworths directly across from you when you cut around the Courthouse. Close to public transport. It is great. I sadly cannot say the same thing for the apartment. We were given a dual key room which means that you and your neighbours enter the same door to a little corridor to access your apartment, and from there you swipe into your apartment. This was the worst. There was no way of shutting the door quietly and your sleep is always being disturbed by two noisy doors slamming with plenty of echo considering the tiled floors. Mantra - it was extremely unpleasant and I really think that you and potential guests should know that. It was awful. The clanging of bottles from the garbage disposal is very audible and woke me up each morning. I don't know if this is Mantra or the Courthouse Bar, but it is very loud. Another thing to note is that there is a bar right outside the city view rooms and the music is loud. I could even hear people shouting in the bar from the top floor, level 7 where I previously stayed. The bath over the shower looks tacky and the water pressure is bad. Not only that, but I hit my knee on the edge of the bath while climbing into the shower and it caused me great pain that day. I had to hobble around for the rest of the day not knowing if I would recover in time for my reef trip. I'm not asking for a luxury spa bath or anything, but for $170 per night, I think the guest should be given a proper shower. I'd never pay that again for the 1 bedroom. On a positive note, the apartment was very clean and the staff are helpful and kind. Sorry Mantra, but the room was poor and that $170 was a real rip.

1 Thank snazzy_traveller
Dear snazzy_traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

Hope Island, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

As the title suggests, this place is in a fantastic location and was very well priced, we paid $106 per night. Very central and with a fun little pool out the back and gym. We didn't have any servicing during our stay which we knew when booking and upon asking for more towels and toilet paper we were told we had to collect them from reception. I have never had to do this and quite frankly think its lazy and rude of the hotel to expect this of guests, its a hotel - bring the damn towels up to the room!

I would also like to note that the bathroom had a shower curtain. Now many people may not think this a big deal, however a clean bathroom is a must for me and the presence of a shower curtain is quite honestly, vile. They are so dirty. I have travelled quite a lot and even in the most basic hotels nobody has shower curtains anymore. really not appealing.

Unlike some other reviews we didn't have any noise, we were staying at the back overlooking the pool and courthouse hotel which can get quite loud, although with the door shut we didn't hear anything, perhaps the ocean view is noisier.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsktm
Dear mrsktm,

I do agree about the shower curtains but as each unit is privately owned, we must approach the owners first to agree to replace the curtains with a glass screen. This is one of the projects our Maintenance Supervisor is currently costing.

I do apologise that not all aspects of your stay at Mantra Epslanade did not meet your expectations.

Goonellabah, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary, with 11 friends. Staff played their part in a surprise. We all had our own rooms, which were clean and tidy. Located close to everything, walking distance to great food and entertainment. Great views from all rooms. Would recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darren B
Hi Darren B,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Mantra Esplanade, Cairns.

I was pleased to hear we helped make your special anniversary even more memorable!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.