“Non serviced apartments”

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Australia
“Non serviced apartments”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a bright and sunny, tho small, well located apartment overlooking the Bay.
I was astounded to discover having already paid over $200 per night, the rooms are NOT serviced during stays. If this was on the website it was certainly not apparent pre booking.

The desk staff tell me this is Mantra policy, to me it is an absolute deal breaker as part of the joy of a hotel experience is not having to do domestic duties!

I cannot recall any other hotel that I've ever stayed at that does not service your room daily.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tiinna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Mantra Esplanade for a tropical holiday. I arrived around 1pm and was not only able to check in early, but received an upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment, which I thoroughly appreciated. Kitchenware is all supplied so you can save money by buying groceries at the Woolworths one block away. Pool is lovely and the beautuful Esplanade pool is across the street. I was lucky enough to have a view of the Cairns Xmas tree being lit for the first time from my balcony, so I spent 3 balmy nights people watching and enjoying the tropical nights. Staff were faultless. There was a mix-up where I planned on staying a further night and and pay for it when I arrived. But because I'd booked through Expedia, the special rate wasn't available and I would've ended up paying over $200 for one night, so I had to move to a cheaper budget hotel on my last night. But one girl (I think Tahlia was her name) really tried her best to sort something out. Even though she wasn't able to clear a cheaper rate with her manager, I appreciated that she went the extra smile. So yeah, if you're looking for a well-run and friendly centrally located hotel, close to Reef Terminal, this can't be beat!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights in July. Having stayed in several Cairns hotels as I have been coming here several times a month on work, I think it is a question of what you are looking for.

Mantra is functional, large rooms/apartments, clean and centrally located.

On the downside, the rooms are a bit dreary (clean but worn out). Biggest complaint I have is that wifi is chargeable (on top of the $250/night I paid) but still didn't work properly. Weak signal and kept dropping. When I complained to reception, they said the service is outsourced and they can't do much. This is unacceptable for a supposedly top class hotel. Also, at $250 a night (Shangri-La and Hilton prices) I expect housekeeping service. No excuse other than cost cutting.

In sum, if you are traveling with family and need space, Mantra is a practical choice even if the value for money is not great. But if you want a bit of glamour or romance, or anything memorable, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Critical_eye1111
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The accommodation was great! I did feel a little disappointed initially as the room did not turn out as 'amazing' or 'sparkling new' as how the photos looked. The place does generally feel a little old even though it looks brand new from the outside.

However! We still had a peaceful and comfortable 3 nights of sleep here (probably also because of the activities we have been doing in the day though). It is clean too, most importantly. It is also well situated in the bustling and exciting Esplanade/Night market/restaurants strip of town. We definitely enjoyed the convenience!

Maybe another point to note: I am not sure if it is due to the special rates I booked, but I was told they do not service the apartments (unless requested?) and if I needed change of towels I could do so at the reception. I wasn't fussy about that since I was only there for three nights.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ohyeahpandas
Shellharbour, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was perfect for myself and my two children aged 3 and 10. I was a bit worried after reading some poor reviews but quickly realised on arrival I had no cause for concern. The staff were always welcoming polite and very helpful. The staff were excellent in recommending and booking tours for us and also helped with recommending places to eat. The room was clean and practical and suited our needs perfectly. I do agree that the pool is to cold to be comfortable but the kids still braved it, it is a shame because it has a beautiful feel to the overall pool area, I think it would be very under utilized just for the fact it is to cold (its a shame). As for the location it couldn' t be better especially with kids that don't want to walk great distances especially after a long day on the reef. Even after check out the staff were awesomecstoring our bags and giving us access to the gym show to freshen up before our flight. Overall I would highly recommend. One other tip a taxi was cheaper and faster to the airport than the shuttle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hoperawlinson
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at the Mantra Esplanade in June. Our room was supposed to be an ocean view. Got into our studio and we could see buildings across from us down a side road and a small bit of water. We payed for an ocean view. I complained when we checked out and the manager said the general manager would ring me, it is now July and never heard a thing. Be weary people if you ask for a water view cos ours was very small, but we paid for it!!!!! No in room wifi. In today`s society you would think they would have it.No heated pool and it was really cold, so no swimming.

Room Tip: When booking a water view complain if you don`t get a good one
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris M
Ontario. Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 days before taking a 7 night cruise of the Great Barrier Reef. Choose this hotel because of its location in Cairns and its location to the pier. Upon check in our room was not ready, but the staff was nice enough to hold our luggage and take the time to go over the area with us in detail. The hotel is right across the street from the Lagoon which is always very busy in the day. The Lagoon is nice but the amount of children in diapers in the pool, made it seem more like a children's play area then a landmark. The hotel does have a nice pool which we enjoyed. We got a room with a washer and dryer which was great, as it allowed us to do laundry before the cruise. It is walking distance to everything including the big shopping centre. However, don't get to excited when you here there is a "TARGET" it is not like the Westernized ones :)
There is no housekeeping at the hotel, which we were fine with as we were only staying for 2 days. The room we stayed in also had a kitchen, there is a grocery store right behind the hotel which was very helpful, it had computers which were handy for checking in etc. The kitchen and the grocery store saved us a lot of money for the 2 days we were there. Very quiet at night, did not hear any noise at all. It is more lively on the boardwalk near the night market, more in the heart which is about a 10min walk but could not hear anything from our hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends