The location of the Mantra Esplanade is its saving grace. The fantastic view from our ocean view room, and its proximity to local attractions, however, only just compensated for its shortcomings.
When we arrived we sincerely thought the lovely Indian people who helped us in the lift had cooked a feast before going out for the evening, as the air in our corridor was redolent with delicious, but somewhat overpowering odours of curry - freshly cooked. When in the morning this smell was replaced by a distinct, and frankly nauseating, odour of cooked chips in our ensuite we realised the smells originated from several (perhaps all) restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel. This, seen in relation to the fact that we lived in fear of cooking even a piece of toast in our (self contained) room lest we incur the threatened several hundred dollar fine for setting off the smoke alarm, made the hotel's entreaty for us to "relax" a bit of a joke.
I found the staff polite and reasonably helpful but their welcome, and their perfunctory explanation of parking and access procedures, lacked warmth and failed to take into account that their guests may be tired, stressed, and perhaps HADN'T BEEN THERE BEFORE!!!. While I, like many Australians, am suspicious of fawning fetlock tuggers, I'm a patient and polite person and I'm paying handsomely to enjoy the facilities of this establishment - I feel that I've bought some warmth (if not the real thing, at least a pretence of it)
As this was our first visit to Cairns, and since we've had a chance to look around, I'll be looking carefully at what's on offer from nearby establishments (for the same or similar price) before I rush back to the Mantra Esplanade.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra Esplanade offers a prime waterfront location, with stylish and contemporary accommodation in the heart of Cairns. Just steps away from the Cairns Swimming Lagoon and offering sweeping ocean, city and mountain views Mantra Esplanade offers a range of Hotel Rooms to fully self-contained One and Two Bedroom Apartments. All rooms feature air conditioning, a balcony, cable TV, hair dryer, internet access (fee), iron and ironing board, and tea and coffee making facilities. There is also a 24 hour reception desk, tour desk, shopping complex, swimming pool, spa (not heated), exercise room and barbecue area. Wander across the road to the Cairns Lagoon in front of the Mantra Esplanade or grab a bite to eat at the many restaurants and cafes on your doorstep. In the evening, stroll down the Esplanade to the night markets where you'll find souvenirs, aboriginal art work, crafts, homewares and jewellery. Cairns is a nature lover's paradise and the gateway to the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef, as well as the Daintree National Park and Cape Tribulation. Take the SkyRail cable car and glide above the spectacular rainforest canopy to the laid-back market town of Kuranda. Catch the Kuranda Scenic Railway back to Cairns to enjoy more breathtaking scenery as it winds through rainforest and past tumbling waterfalls on its way back down to Cairns. Discover all the amazing sights and activities available in and around Cairns while staying at Mantra Esplanade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mantra Esplanade Cairns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Esplanade Cairns Hotel Cairns
- Mantra Esplanade Hotel Cairns
- Mantra Esplanade Resort Cairns