“Ants everywhere, rude service”

Mantra Esplanade Cairns
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Stayed for 1 night only prior to going diving on a live-aboard. Arrived at midnight after a flight from Brisbane. Had called ahead to warn them I would be arriving at that time and ensure someone would be there for me to check in. When I arrived there was someone at the desk. As I was paying my cab, the desk person left the desk and went somewhere else, even though my taxi driver had pulled right up to the door in the roundabout and I was clearly coming into the hotel. I could not get into the hotel as the doors were locked. The taxi driver had to honk his horn several times to get the person to come back and let me in.
The hotel room was fine, except that there were ants everywhere. Initially I thought it was only the bathroom, which clearly had not been cleaned. There was coffee or cola pop dripped all over the counter clearly attracting the ants. Afterwards however I realized there were also ants in the main hotel room as well, climbing the walls, etc.
The next day upon checkout I went to the front desk and asked if I could leave my bags. The front desk women (who I had spoken to 10 minutes prior) snapped at me "And who are you? We don't just let anyone leave their bags here!" I responded that I had just came off the elevators, had spoken to her in person 10 mins earlier and was checking out but not leaving cairns until later that day. She then apologize quickly, and I was able to leave my bags but too little too late...
would definitely not stay here unless there was nowhere else to stay. Head up the coast to Palm Cove and stay at Melaleuca - absolutely lovely, right on the beach, gorgeous pool for the same price!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank similan22
ASMNQ, General Manager at Mantra Esplanade Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. All feedback is welcome as it is only way to improve our product.

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered an instance of indifference and rudeness in terms of attitude from a member within our team and sincerely apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.The issues you have raised have been addressed with the Front Office Manager and measures will be taken to ensure these issues do not reoccur.

Gaye Coughlan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed 28 February 2011

New, extremely elegant, clean and has all the room amenities you could ever desire. By far, the best 2 bedroom accomodations I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed here 23/02/2011 to 28/03/2011 , stayed in the 1 BR apartment , Room 616. Very surprised that the room was very spacious, well furnished, Clean, and value for money. Location wise, believe Mantra Esplanade has the best location amogst the other top Cairns hotel, 2 mins walk to lagoon, 1 mins walk to the esplanade restaurants, 2 mins walk to the pier, 3 mins walk to casino. And right in the middle of the Cairns city.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, one night at 10pm we have a problem with our room key, the receptionist Aiya straight away call the technician and provide us another room for us to have rest while they fix the room key system. Not just that, they also compensate us with free of charge late checkout until the afternoon. We were very surprised and happy because we are expected to pay a fairbit of money for an extra 8 hours stay. Special thanks to the beautiful Ms.Aiya and the Management for the very quick action.

Downstair at the Cairns Travel Centre, ONLY MEET KYLIE for travel advice ... She is the Best, Honest and Helpful tour advisor, she will check everything including the weather and satelites photos to ensure we get the real experience, she is a local aboriginese and very patient, Her Great Grand father is one of the Aborigin Kings at Baron Beach :) That makes her even more special.

We Highly reccommend everyone to stay at Mantra Esplanade Cairns

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank eas013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
We are happy to hear you were impressed with the proximity of our property to all the wonderful attractions that Cairns has to offer.
I am also glad to hear we addressed the issue you had during your stay efficiently and there was a positive outcome.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Esplanade again.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

The hotel room was excellent, very clean, the only problem we had was that we hadn't realised that the package we had bought did not include the room being serviced daily, but once we realised it was fine for the bargain price we paid. The hotel is an excellent position right on the Esplanade, close to the lagoon and the piers where the boats go out to the Barrier Reef, etc. There were excellent restaurants and bars, by, a supermarket and the main shopping area all within easy, flat walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FirstLadyNI

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent holiday in Cairns and your stay with us at Mantra Esplanade.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotel position was a definite bonus to you.
We hope to have opportunity to welcome you back ot Mantra Esplanade again in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

The Mantra Esplanade is centrally-located to almost everything you'd want to try on your first visit to Cairns (which this was for me): the night markets, the boat tours,a man-made lagoon, souvenir shops, off-the-beaten path places to eat, a Woolworth's, banks, and the casino. One thing I wish this hotel had was free wi-fi internet. Fortunately, someone told me about the McDonald's a block away that had free wi-fi access.The lack of daily maid service didn't bother me so much, but I can see how that might be an issue for a family. Noise was only an issue the first night of our stay (a Saturday), when there seemed to be loud music and dancing coming from the wine bar next door. Fortunately, that ended right around midnight. One of the best things about the Mantra Esplanade is its proximity to the Cairns Travel Center, where we booked our day tours. This convenience made up for the lack of free wi-fi at the Mantra. Overall, my stay at the Mantra Esplanade was positive and I would stay here again next time I visit Cairns.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank CCC_wanderlust
Reviewed 23 November 2010

For a short stay in Cairns to see the Great Barrier Reef and the Rainforest I booked the Mantra Esplanade on the basis of its reasonable prices and location on the Esplanade .Thanks to TripAdvisor I was aware that they offered more of an apartment rather than a standard hotel so was not surprised by the lack of daily maid service or towel change. I was in fact quite impressed with the accommodation. I was upgraded to a suite rather just a room. This included kitchenette, washer & dryer (very useful if your traipsing around the jungle) and a good sized bathroom also TV’s in bed room & living room. Hotel facilities were fair with a small pool and fitness room and the hotel staff were always very pleasant. Generally this hotel was a great spot to base yourself for the various trips outside of Cairns. As for Cairns itself this is perfectly located on the front next to the lagoon, near all the restaurants and night market (However I would not recommend that anyone comes to Cairns and stay in town). A good base.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Astrobop
Reviewed 13 November 2010

The Mantra Hotels are everywhere. They are a good product, but not a great product, its just they are everywhere, at least 2 in every major city in Australia.
We chose the Esplanade because of the position which was as we thought fantastic. Right in the middle of everything, across the road from the swimming lagoon which was lovely, a little warm and a little crowded but a fun experience.
Lesley's warm welcome at reception made the trip. She was awesome. This is what can really make a stay 5 star, though I wouldn't call the rest 5 star.

Nothing majorly wrong, just expensive cost for an average room, whilst with a lovely balcony overlooking the water, comfy bed (king with two singles together which worked well), great TV, fridge, furnishings, the bathroom was a little lacklustre, toilet seat wonky every time you sat down, bath had a shower curtain!!!! (the 80s called they want their curtain back) and a very wide vanity so much so you couldn't really get close to put makeup on (ok not a biggie but would be nice to have a vanity that helped us girls). Loved the soap, nice touch I adore those little touches (square shaped not those usual wrapped round yicky smelling chemical soaps) it smelled like lemongrass and the little shampoo/conditioner sets were lovely.

Interesting observation. Two doors of rooms next to each other with the same foyer with one door if you know what I mean. Now great idea in theory but NOT if you put a couple like us next to a family with screaming kids who ever time their door was opened would scream and perfect coz the entry way is tiled, so the sound was louder. Light on in this entry way all night so light streaming in like a spotlight under and around the door frame.
Suggestion, have the light come on when someone comes in that first door and have it dimmed so it doesn't affect either room. Daylight comes early in Cairns and people on hols would love a bit of a sleep in. Oh and yeah why not put a couple next to another couple or single instead of a family with kids? We're on holidays and the last thing we want is kids screaming at 7 am!

I would stay at this hotel again but with the above suggestions plus please oh please why cannot not Mantra offer free wi fi & internet into their hotels? It is so bloody cheap to offer this service and with the world being so online these days it would be a nice touch and considering I have found Three to be non-existent north of Melbourne, it would have made things so much better. High charges for internet are so old fashioned and ultimately will lead to you losing favour. I will be flying to Bali in 2 days and know that wi fi is everywhere in most hotels, please move with the times.

Thank you for car parking, pretty good room, great position, lovely view, superb receptionist and sorry there were some complaints but I am sure in time they will be looked at.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple