“Great place”
Review of Coral Tree Inn

Coral Tree Inn
Ranked #21 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic place with a great special on their rooms. rooms are spacious and clean. Beds are comfy. Nice looking accommodation. Not too far from the esplanade. Definately recommend staying at the coral tree inn

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank morgz99
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear morgz99,

Thank you for taking the time to post a 5* review of your stay at the Coral Tree Inn.
I am glad that you found the hotel clean, well-priced and our beds comfortable.
It is very rewarding to hear that you felt that the hotel was good and that you would recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Cairns.

Thank you.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed at the Coral Tree Inn back in february 2013 for 6 nights. My first impression was that it looked fairly average, nothing bad by any means but nothing special, then again it is budget for Australia which on the whole is very expensive!
The receptionist was quite helpful and pointed out all of the local hot spots etc.

The hotle has no elevator so be warned especially if you are on the top floor carrying suitcases in the rainy season with 90+% humidity!! Very tiring indeed!

The rooms were quite dated but a good size with a good TV. The bedroom was seperate from the living area which was nice. The AC was average and took quite sometime to cool the room down.
Shower and bath were both fine, although the water was never cold, hot was fine, but sometimes I just fancied a cold shower to cool off!
Kitchen equipment was ok and useable if you wanted to make something throughout the day, you could get by.
Swimming pool was not to bad and a welcome relief in the heat of the day.
BBQ area was pretty good to use.
Security in the hotel was good, you had a key to get back into the hotel at night as the reception closed at 9pm.
Location was aprox a 10 minute walk to the seafront where there were quite a few good bars that were reasonably priced :-)

Overall would I stay here again? Probably not, but it will get you by for a few nights.

Hope this helps you...

Ian Hepple.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scoobyhep

Dear Scoobyhep,

Thank you for staying at the Coral Tree Inn, and for sharing your views through Trip Advisor.
It is important that the feedback provided by our guests is passed to my team to ensure that we continuously improve not only on our services but our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at Coral Tree Inn as a getaway package through Qld Rail. Our overall experience at the hotel was average to poor. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STAFF. The staff are welcoming and accommodating within their limits obviously enforced by management. Due to an unfortunate human error our room reservation had been cancelled by our agent. We arrived at the hotel after 5pm with two very tired young children only to find we had no room and we were in the middle of a long weekend. I however had travel documents and proof of payment and the check in clerk was able to accommodate our family in a suite, as originally booked, for the night. However the security deposit was more than I had actually paid! I took this on the chin as we were all very tired and I recognised that they had done their best to at least give us a room for the night.

When we got to the room we found that the kitchenette as advised was a sink and dated microwave; the bathroom had no ventilation and was growing mould and there were no plugs for the bathtub or sink. Our immediate need was to bath the children so had to ring down for a plug. The check in clerk scoured the hotel for one but was unable to find one and we were told that because ‘Cairns is in Nth Qld and it gets hot most people just have showers’. Both my husband and I have lived a number of years in Cairns and further north so I just smiled at the comment. She would tell the manager in the morning and see if he would buy us one – I found myself wondering how they managed to do our dishes in the room and restaurant with no plugs. In the meantime I bundled a two and four year old into the bathtub and tried my best to shower them around the fitted screen. This resulted in the two year old turning the hot water on completely and the four year old slipping on the edge of the bath scrambling to get out.

The next morning I contacted our travel agent who set about correcting the booking mistake and contacted the hotel. Since my payment had now been verified etc I attempted to get my security deposit refunded as the amount exceeded what I would consider both reasonable and a gesture of good faith. I was told I could get an urgent refund (which would take > 48 hours from the next business day – bare in mind it was Easter) as long as I found the fax number for my financial institution otherwise it would take 5 business days. As I had been told a number of times how the security deposit actually worked instead of what I had actually requested I decided to ignore the issue and get on with our holiday.

We left the hotel for the day to visit family and attractions and came back to a room that was in the same state we had left it except with new linen and bathtub plug along with a note saying because it was a long weekend there would be limited housekeeping. This was disappointing because it was Easter Sunday and we really needed to sweep the room but only had a small dustpan and brush – no broom and no advance notice. If even advanced notice had been given I could have organised a broom during the day to do it myself. I did our dishes using an upturned teacup to block the drain and continued.

The do have a comments card in the rooms and I have put all of this on there because I noticed when trying to deal with the manager about the security deposit my concerns weren’t actually being addressed but rather continually being told irrelevant information about how it all worked.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so check if you are on levels 2 or 3 before departing and travel light!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank OzReviewers

Dear OzReviewers,

Thank you for your post on your recent stay with Coral Tree Inn.

I will pass on your appreciation to the reception staff. Although it is disappointing to know that we delivered below your expectations, we truly appreciate receiving your feedback as this makes us aware of the areas in our service and facilities that need improvement.
In regards to your booking, most of the concerns addressed here were created because of the lack of information as no booking was held at the hotel. The hotel tries its best to accommodate all guest requests to its best capacity. Being Easter holidays and almost fully booked, it is extremely difficult to allocate the desired room without any prior reservation. I am glad that we succeeded in passing through this hurdle. Our suite rooms are certainly equipped with kitchenette facilities which are prepared prior to guest’s arrival, since this information was missing we did not get the chance to do so. The security deposit was held to authorize the payment for your accommodation in case the agent disputed the booking which was cancelled in the first place. All our guests our informed about the limited housekeeping services on public holidays which I believe was conveyed to you upon check-in.

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay here.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable spacious rooms with air conditioning. Very clean and functional (but basic rather than luxurious). Away from busy roads yet close to town centre (within walking distance). Would certainly recommend it to others. Powerful showers!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Mabbitts
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community regarding your stay with us at Coral Tree Inn.

I am so pleased that you liked the clean and spacious rooms. We are very fortunate to be situated so close to all the attractions such as the city center, Reef Fleet Terminal, Cairns central shopping centre, railway station, night markets, art gallery etc.

Thank you for recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked online for four nights. Our first room was above a car park and there was loud music coming from nearby. It wasn't possible to move straight away but day desk manager, Kenji, efficiently orchestrated the shift the next morning while we had an extended breakfast in town, only a short stroll away. Most of our dealings were with Kenji, who wrangled our telecommunication hiccups also, and he was very attentive and helpful. In the end, we never did get ABC 1 or ABC 2 and wifi was tricky but I think our room was located in some sort of black spot. TV and computers weren't, however, high on our list of things to do. Our new room looked over the pool and met all our needs and provided a restful sanctuary and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for mid-priced accommodation in Cairns.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. There was a little background noise of people swimming and enj...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colphi
Anand C, General Manager at Coral Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear colphi,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to share your observation of a member of the team and his hospitality. We are all very passionate about what we do here at the hotel and it is our priority to look after our guests during their stay.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and visit us soon again. Be assured that we will take great care of you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights. The staff was friendly and truly wanted to help. The room and breakfast was ok, nothing special but what we expected. Wifi was free which is a great pro! The location was convenient, a 10 min walk to the lagoon is just enough.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Uldall,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on the TripAdvisor.

Thank you also for your kind words about the team who take great pride in what they do and who want to make each guest feel very special. I am pleased that you found everyone to be friendly and truly wanted to help.

I am delighted that you found the location to be central and within walking distance of lagoon where all shops and restaurants are located.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We've booked this hotel via booking.com for 3 nights for $250,-
The welcome was good, the personnel was friendly and always willing to help you. The swimmingpool is quite okay, it's a bit small and there's not much sun because it's located between the buildings. The hotel is situated on a quiet location, the Esplanade is on a good walking distance (about 5 minutes).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ldhimself

Dear ldhimself,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that you had a good stay. So pleased that you could find the best deal on the internet.

I have passed your kind words to all the team who are very grateful for the positive feedback.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in Cairns.

Warm regards,