“Nice outlook from some rooms, out of the way”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The hotel is out of the way from Cairns CBD and requires you to have transport although an hourly shuttle bus is provided until 10:00 pm. Rooms located on Esplanade have good views but I suspect the rooms in the other wing have no ocean views. The room allocated to us was adequate with only a small bathroom and basic amenities however as I booked this hotel as an Accor Advantage Card holder I was expecting some additional benefits however the reception staff did not acknowledge my Accor Membership and erroneously informed me that I had to pay for breakfast. No room upgrade was offered and no little extras were given, not even free internet, a common practice in Accor properties for Advantage Plus Platinum members. Only when I returned home did I realise that breakfast was included in the price I had paid and after having paid for breakfast it was a difficult job to try and get some recompense, very unsatisfactory and in my opinion unprofessional attitude on part of the reception staff. The breakfast buffet was not that attractive either with rather limited choices of cold and warm foods that had been sitting there for some time. If you want fresh coffee, not that siting around in a flask for age, you have to pay extra and the coffee I was served was totally undrinkable. I have never tasted coffee this bad. All in all not a very satisfactory experience.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside

Reviewed 29 October 2012

First impressions of the hotel externally are a good location on the esplanade a short walk to the city. The check-in process was smooth and painless. The room booked had 2 double size beds with a balcony overlooking the water through the gap of two other high rise buildings. The lobby staff were pleasant with requests for umbrellas dealt with promptly and luggage holding not an issue.
The bathroom has limited room for maneuvering with a bath come shower, the off putting features of this room is the cigarette burn on the small desk and the well worn seat accompanying it and the not so clean carpet, footwear is recommended at all times I would say. Free wireless with a FEE here and my pet hate, slamming doors, are ever too present.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Had an excellent stay here this month for 11 nights. Staff very friendly and handy having mini bus service to centre of cairns. The hotel was a 30 minute walk to the reef terminal along the esplanade.
For the hotel information on transfers, do not use sun palm transfers as they are unreliable. Always use taxi service. In was booked on a transfer to airport and it never arrived after ringing and being told it was on its way, but never was.
I would recommend this hotel to all of my friends.
Oops before I forget, a hand rail into the pool would be handy as those steps are huge

Room Tip: Any room is a good room, although the rooms near the lift well seem spacious. Rooms 11 or 12 numbers
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in an Ocean view room.
On the first day we returned from our full-day excursion to find the bed had not been made. We mentioned this to reception the next morning and asked them to make sure it was made that day. It was, but so poorly we had to remake it. That same night we saw several large cockroaches and managed to kill two of them. Their dead bodies were still on the floor after our room had been made-up later that day. Clearly the room was not vacuum cleaned.
Each of these issues by themselves would not have bothered us but together left the impression that this is a hotel where the room services need to be managed better.
We have experienced better service at cheaper hotels.

The staff in the restaurant were excellent and food very good.
Pool was OK but not great.

1  Thank Oratia_Chris
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Kia ora, Oratia_Chris,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the cleanliness of your room. I have passed your concerns onto my Executive Housekeeper to review and address your comments with her team.

The cleanliness and servicing of our rooms is very important and I know that my housekeeping team will be disappointed in not meeting your expectations.

I thank you for your comments and feedback regarding my Restaurant team and allowing me the opportunity to respond.

Kind regards,

Shane Edwards

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Got this hotel booking as a mystery deal from Wotif.com for a 1 night stay. Was excited it was the Mercure. But was dissappointed to be given the room facing exact opposite the lift. One sliding wardrobe door was off the rollers and came falling when we tried to push it open. We had to lift it off and place it precariously placed against the other sliding door. Nobody was sent to look into this when I called to inform room service. A safety hazard considering I had a child in the room. The shower pressure was poor, had to spent hours just washing off the shampoo from my short hair. Otherwise the room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Perundevi S

Dear Perundevi S,

Thank you for your recent post on Trip advisor. I apologies for the inconvenience of the maintenance issues you experienced on your recent stay at the hotel. I have passed your comments onto my Chief Engineer to review the rooms in question.

Once again I thank you for letting me know and allowing me the opportunity to respond and address the issues highlighted.

Kind regards,