“Satisfactory - but wouldn't win me back.”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Canmore, AB
“Satisfactory - but wouldn't win me back.”
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Clean, modern, well equipped rooms, which I guess is all you can ask for.

But you can get this elsewhere in cairns for less money. Location is too far from down town. Good enough if you use the hotel as a base, but not the best to explore cairns itself. Minibar was empty, and had to pay or Internet. Free parking though.

Hotel also failed to process my payment on the pre-auth they took, resulting in the initial charge pending on my Visa for a week, as well as the actual payment being deducted. Not the end of the word. Just annoying and unprofessional.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear scottyjc,

Thank you for your recent comments on Tripadvisor, I am happy to hear that we were able to meet some of your expectations however unable to win you over to consider your next stay at the hotel. I understand that we are a little way out of the CBD however we often have guests stay with us because of the quiet surroundings and the outlook over the Esplanade.

With regards to pre authorisation this is something we are discussing with the banks to allow the instant release of funds as this does make it inconvenient for our guests.

I thank you for feedback and again I would like to take this opportunity to apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Kind regards,

Shane Edwards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Stayed here on our way out of Queensland, because of its proximity to airport. Too far to walk to downtown, used our car rather than shuttle, parking did not seem to be an issue and was free. We had a HUGE room facing the waterfront (lovely view), the problem here was the TV which was tiny, bed at one end of the HUGE room and small tv at the other, with one sitting chair and one desk chair, TV impossible to see from the bed. Why does an international hotel chain think that an undersized tv is okay for a superior room? A big room needs some furniture. The balcony had 2 chairs and no table. We did enjoy the Nespresso machine and the front desk staff very helpful when we wanted to leave our bags after checkout. Quiet, but would look for somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: ask for harbour front
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear albertst,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor and giving me the opportunity to investigate and respond.

I have viewed the privilege room that you booked, I agree that the TV in this particular room is too small and I have order a larger screen, our rooms on this floor do vary with this being one of the largest in the hotel.

I thank you for this feedback as this has not been mentioned previously since we replaced with new TV's. With regards to the furniture, we are often mindful not to clutter our rooms however we do have an option if guests would like an additional item we can organise something from our conference department.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and hope you provide us with an opportunity to look after you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Shane Edwards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

OK Hotel which could do better!!!
In Sea View room but all I could see of the sea was between the palm tree leaves which obsured the entire view really.
Interconnecting door between rooms rattling when other occupants opened something or other in their room. Had to Jam with paper to stop rattle. Reported to housekeeping but nothing seemed to be done. Original piece of paper still in door jam.
Half lights in room not working, these did get replaced when reported.
Disappointed in cold hot food at breakfasts. I was always down early for breakfasts so expected the hot section to be at least HOT!. Cold bacon, tomatoes etc. Scrambled eggs very watery. Complained via our tour manager. Suprise suprise, the next breakfast steam was rising from the baine-marie which held the breakfast items.

Room Tip: Ask for room in front block overlooking sea. Rear block rooms of hotel obsured by front block or pal...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

a bit out of the centre (but walkable) and there is an hourly bus to the centre that runs 10am to 10pm. Hotel has details for trips to rainforest and barrier reef and helped book tours which was great. luggage storage and friendly staff. nice pool. breakfast was expenseive we thought and no smaller option if you only want a croissant. huge rooms which are great. bathrooms could do with an update.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Staff friendly and helpful and show genuine interest in achieving client satisfaction. Hotel located Borth Cairns with easy boardwalk on the esplanade to the city and attractions. Hotel provides a shuttle service to and from the city.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed at the Mercure Harbourside for 4 nights in the leadup to the Eclipse.
Cairns was busy, very busy. The hotel was full, however the staff never made me feel like I was just one of the crowd. Similar to my previous stay here, the service was outstanding!
The room was impecably clean, the house keeping staff friendly and attentive and the front desk staff worked hard to ensure that everyone (including me) had the best possible stay.
The day time food options out of Blue Mango are a little dull after a few days, but the breakfasts and the evening menu are delish at Teshi's.
I loved being a little out of town (I have stayed in town twice before) and that little bit of distance takes the hard edge off Cairns. The shuttle bus is a godsend for trips to the CBD during the day. I would walk down in the morning, futz around, then shuttle bus back for some relaxing.
Wireless was fast and affordable.
I highly recommend the Mercure Harbourside and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are totally worth the extra cost for the glorious sunrises and balcony drinks i...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends