“Two satisfied guests!”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
North Shields, Tyne & Wear
“Two satisfied guests!”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night only as we had a planned flight to Sydney the following day. Upon arrival we were most impressed by the efficient and at the same time, friendly, welcome we received. We arrived with the relevant printed confirmation in hand, but there was no need, as on giving our name, we were immediately identified and made to feel welcome.

We were pleased with our room and it was just what we requested with a sea view. It was spacious, had a comfortable bed with good pillows to lie on, with TV and refreshment making facilities (though no nibbles, as previously pointed out by another reviewer). The bathroom was modern and pristine clean with good quality toiletries provided.

I had occasion to use the laundry which was fine, however, due to my own mishap, I accidently dropped an item of clothing behind the tumble dryer and knew that in no way, could I on my own retrieve it. However, on going to the reception and explaining my plight, the reception staff were very emphatic on how anxious I was to try and retrieve my item and so in a flash, one of the staff quickly went with me to the laundry room and in an instant my garment was returned to me. Underneath, I was feeling embarrassed by it all, but in no way, was I made to feel it by the staff. I was so pleased that I was able to have this situation resolved immediately and it was all down to the helpful and willing staff who more or less "dropped everything" to help me. And all with a smile.

The breakfast was self service which is often the case in most hotels so this was not a negative. The main thing was the great variety of foods on offer for both Europeans and non Europeans and all very tasty and delicious. There was something for everyone.

There was plenty of room for parking, both in the car park at the side of the hotel and outside at the front. However, there is an underground car park, accessed by the use of your room "key" which you just swiped by the sensor as you approached the gate. Once inside the underground car park, there was a lift to take you up to all the floors, without having to exit the car park on foot with cases etc. and return to the main entrance. Definitely a "plus" for this hotel. We were offered help with our cases, but declined, due to easy access of the hotel and to the lift - it was not a problem!

One last thing to add, is the use of the Hotel's courtesy bus on an evening to take you into the centre of Cairns. It leaves on the hour and also picks up residents on its return journey with no extra charge. I don't know of many hotels that would provide this particular service to take residents into town and we were again, impressed with the care and service provided by the Hotel.

All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and will certainly consider booking with this hotel again (or one of its sister hotels) if we return to Cairns. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay a most enjoyable one. (Jen Percy).

Room Tip: Nothing in particular to advise on. All good.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sabiston
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Hi sabiston,

Thank you for recent comments and giving me the opportunity to respond. It gives me great pleasure to know that the hotel was able to meet your expectations and overall you enjoyed your stay in Cairns..

Once again thank you and I hope you had a safe trip home.

Shane Edwards - GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for the last two nights in Jan 2013 and it was a lovely if not short stay in Cairns. Was here for a day trip out to a floating pontoon on the great barrier reef and to pick up a campervan to drive south to Brisbane. As a result did not get the chance to sample some of the hotels facilities. On arrival the staff were friendly and welcoming. Our room was lovely, bright and fresh with a partial sea view. It was modern , very clean and air con worked well which is essential in the overpowering humidity of Cairns. There are some shops/ bars etc within walking distance but really you have to go into the town centre. I like to walk and get my bearings when i arrive somewhere new but this was a mistake to try the walk to the town centre on our first night there, it is simply too humid if you are not used to tropical heat. The following evening we took advantage of the hotels free friendly shuttle bus which is a quick 5 min drive into town and you can arrange a pick up time also (it runs every hour). There is a good choice of bars and restaurants in Cairns so we had a great night out. The following morning we got up early to pick up our campervan but there was a delay and we realised we would not be back to vacate at the 11am checkout time. We called the hotel and they said not to worry they would push checkout back to noon to help us out and it did. Only negative about our stay is we did not spend enough time both in the hotel and in Cairns.

Room Tip: There are two blocks in the hotel, the east block has sea views. We were in the other block with a p...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Hi MartinB,

I agree that you need to spend more time in the region and at the hotel, hopefully you have the opportunity to return to region in the near future. I'm so glad that you did manage to make it out to the reef a must experience for everyone.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Cooktown, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My husband and i really enjoyed our time at the mercure. great service, lovely staff and nice room. well done :) we would have perfered some nibbles in the room for purchase but all in all we would def stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi TeilaWinton,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip advisor, it is great to have locals stay with us on a regular basis, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We Stayed here for 3 nights over the Australia day weekend and have to say I wasn't that impressed. First trip to Cairns so was a bit disappointed by that and then the hotel was rather 'tired' looking and pretty average. The staff were helpful and friendly but the facilities, rooms and restaurant were all a bit dated, in need of refurbishment and pretty much just not great. We stayed in the superior ocean view rooms and so glad we hadn't selected a standard one as I am not sure what they would have been like!

Room Tip: stay in Port Douglas!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin B
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Dear Kevin B,

Thank you for your recent feedback, while the service and staff were able to met your expectations I would like to apologies for the not meeting those same expectations with the facilities. The Superior Ocean view rooms were refurbished in 2010 and we continue to receive many great comments on the quality of these rooms. I have passed your comments onto my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to review in case issues you mentioned are a quality of finish or in room maintenance.

I thank you once again for providing me with the information and allowing us to review.

Home Hill
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We spent the Australia day weekend here for my daughters wedding. The staff were exceptional, position of the hotel fantastic.
We had an issue with the air conditioning in our room staff overheard us talking about it and we were immediately offered another room and the offer of staff actually moving our gear.
Would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Hi Accor traveller,

Great to receive your feedback on your recent stay, I hope that you enjoyed the long weekend and we look forward to welcoming you back on you next visit to Cairns.

Kind regards