“8th March 2013”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Good service and friendly staff. Bed was not the best to hard. Shower and bathtub and bit on the small side. Room was clean and tidy. No mini bar which was good no temptations. Our stay at this hotel was enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Hi concertgoers13,

Great login name!

Thank you for your recent feedback it is great to hear from our local guests as it is important we do a good job that inturn attracts travellers to the region and supports everyone in the community.

I hope you had a safe trip back to the Tablelands and we look forward to welcoming you back to Cairns.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at the Potts Point location prior to my visit to Cairns which was terribly disappointing so I was incredibly happy when I checked in to the Cairns location. The service was great, the rooms were beautiful, amazing sheets, very modern and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The only thing that they could change is the shower head as it is a tough spray instead of a flow.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing room, it's lovely!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Adam S,

Thank you so much for the positive comments, it means alot to my staff and I that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel; In regards to your comments regarding Mercure Potts Point I have passed this on to Troy who is the GM at the Hotel to review.

Thank you once again for your feedback regarding both our hotels and we look forward to visiting our shores again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Great location, wonderful balcony, spectacular scenery. I echo what others have said, the staff was exceptionally friendly and cheerful and helpful and knowledgable. We arrived two hours before check-in time, but our rooms were ready (and adjoining, as we requested) and we were able to settle right in. The pool was lovely and the perfect temperature; we stayed in the pool for many relaxing, rejuvinating hours after we arrived. The easy access to the bar near the pool was a wonderful bonus - what a relaxing afternoon. My husband needs a CPAP machine to sleep, but the cord on it wasn't long enough to reach the available plugs - but he zipped down to the front desk and arrived back in no time with an extension cord - crisis averted! We had two great days at the Mercure, and were very happy guests.

Room Tip: I definitely advise spending the small amount extra for an oceanfront view. The sunrise over the wa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cindy H
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Cindy H,

Fantastic .......and thank you for the kind words.

It is great to receive positive feedback as it does make us feel good about what we do.

I hope you had a safe trip home.

Shane Edwards - GM

Reviewed 27 February 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank David S

Reviewed 26 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night only as we had a planned flight to Sydney the following day. Upon arrival we were most impressed by the efficient and at the same time, friendly, welcome we received. We arrived with the relevant printed confirmation in hand, but there was no need, as on giving our name, we were immediately identified and made to feel welcome.

We were pleased with our room and it was just what we requested with a sea view. It was spacious, had a comfortable bed with good pillows to lie on, with TV and refreshment making facilities (though no nibbles, as previously pointed out by another reviewer). The bathroom was modern and pristine clean with good quality toiletries provided.

I had occasion to use the laundry which was fine, however, due to my own mishap, I accidently dropped an item of clothing behind the tumble dryer and knew that in no way, could I on my own retrieve it. However, on going to the reception and explaining my plight, the reception staff were very emphatic on how anxious I was to try and retrieve my item and so in a flash, one of the staff quickly went with me to the laundry room and in an instant my garment was returned to me. Underneath, I was feeling embarrassed by it all, but in no way, was I made to feel it by the staff. I was so pleased that I was able to have this situation resolved immediately and it was all down to the helpful and willing staff who more or less "dropped everything" to help me. And all with a smile.

The breakfast was self service which is often the case in most hotels so this was not a negative. The main thing was the great variety of foods on offer for both Europeans and non Europeans and all very tasty and delicious. There was something for everyone.

There was plenty of room for parking, both in the car park at the side of the hotel and outside at the front. However, there is an underground car park, accessed by the use of your room "key" which you just swiped by the sensor as you approached the gate. Once inside the underground car park, there was a lift to take you up to all the floors, without having to exit the car park on foot with cases etc. and return to the main entrance. Definitely a "plus" for this hotel. We were offered help with our cases, but declined, due to easy access of the hotel and to the lift - it was not a problem!

One last thing to add, is the use of the Hotel's courtesy bus on an evening to take you into the centre of Cairns. It leaves on the hour and also picks up residents on its return journey with no extra charge. I don't know of many hotels that would provide this particular service to take residents into town and we were again, impressed with the care and service provided by the Hotel.

All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and will certainly consider booking with this hotel again (or one of its sister hotels) if we return to Cairns. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay a most enjoyable one. (Jen Percy).

Room Tip: Nothing in particular to advise on. All good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sabiston

Hi sabiston,

Thank you for recent comments and giving me the opportunity to respond. It gives me great pleasure to know that the hotel was able to meet your expectations and overall you enjoyed your stay in Cairns..

Once again thank you and I hope you had a safe trip home.

Shane Edwards - GM

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for the last two nights in Jan 2013 and it was a lovely if not short stay in Cairns. Was here for a day trip out to a floating pontoon on the great barrier reef and to pick up a campervan to drive south to Brisbane. As a result did not get the chance to sample some of the hotels facilities. On arrival the staff were friendly and welcoming. Our room was lovely, bright and fresh with a partial sea view. It was modern , very clean and air con worked well which is essential in the overpowering humidity of Cairns. There are some shops/ bars etc within walking distance but really you have to go into the town centre. I like to walk and get my bearings when i arrive somewhere new but this was a mistake to try the walk to the town centre on our first night there, it is simply too humid if you are not used to tropical heat. The following evening we took advantage of the hotels free friendly shuttle bus which is a quick 5 min drive into town and you can arrange a pick up time also (it runs every hour). There is a good choice of bars and restaurants in Cairns so we had a great night out. The following morning we got up early to pick up our campervan but there was a delay and we realised we would not be back to vacate at the 11am checkout time. We called the hotel and they said not to worry they would push checkout back to noon to help us out and it did. Only negative about our stay is we did not spend enough time both in the hotel and in Cairns.

Room Tip: There are two blocks in the hotel, the east block has sea views. We were in the other block with a p...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Hi MartinB,

I agree that you need to spend more time in the region and at the hotel, hopefully you have the opportunity to return to region in the near future. I'm so glad that you did manage to make it out to the reef a must experience for everyone.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Reviewed 14 February 2013