“Mercure Cairns Harbourside”

Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Buderim, Australia
“Mercure Cairns Harbourside”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

we note the Mercure Cairns Harbourside Hotel offers no free "WiFi" . Room 414 was neat and spacious but unfortunately the was a "yakkie" stain on the seat of a chair. It takes approximately 25 min. to walk to down town Cairns (Pier) where free WiFi is available.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

MercureHsideGM, Assistant Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 9 December 2014
Dear Antoon L,

Thank you for your review and I apologise for the delay in replying.

In regards to our hotel Wifi, we do now offer it complimentary if a guest is a member of our group's Loyalty program, Le Club which is a free to join if not.

I do hope you return in the future.

Thomas Kelly
Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We found the location of this hotel to be pleasantly off the beaten path. It's at the end of the Esplanade with the walking and biking paths right across the street. It's a pretty walk through the park into the downtown or to get some exercise. We had no trouble with the shuttle service with only a few people waiting for it each time; once it was only us. The hotel doesn't have a gym, but it's a 5 minute walk to a real gym you can use for free, so what you get is actually better than a standard hotel facility. We also enjoyed great views of the harbor and the mountains as we stayed before and after a reef cruise.

On the downside, the bathroom was gross. The grout has clearly not been given any attention in ages; it's black and moldy all around the tub. It makes you want to wear shower shoes or something. Blech.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kat9699
MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Kat9699,

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor, it is important that we hear from our guests so we can review our products and service.

In regards to your concerns I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the bathroom in your room. I have addressed your feedback to our Executive Housekeeping Manager to discuss with her team.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hunter Valley
Reviewed 10 January 2014

All those commenting on the distance from town and the tired facilities haven't done their research. We booked this hotel well aware that it was not located in the CBD and that it was in need of refurbishment in some areas, so our entire stay was as we expected.

We stayed 10 nights over Christmas and New Year and were satisfied with the staff and the property. 1br suite was spacious enough for our party (2 adults 1 teen) and well serviced each day. The balcony could have benefited from a small table. The air conditioning worked well and as others have noted, the bed was super comfortable, and the addition of the pillow menu made my holiday a sleeping paradise!

The pool served its purpose even though it is not 'resort style'. The café and restaurant offered fair food at prices you would expect in a hotel. As an Accor member, the dining benefits made the breakfast extremely affordable. Staff did not go out of their way to be pleasant or overly helpful, but all of our needs were (eventually) addressed in a satisfactory manner. The shuttle bus service was extremely useful, and I agree with the suggestion of another reviewer that a number system would be useful as some people have no manners when it comes to waiting in line.

Overall, because we had researched the hotel we knew what we were getting, and thus were not disappointed - in fact we were quite satisfied.

Dear Woolygirl1,

Thank you for your recent response on TripAdvisor and allowing me the opportunity to respond to your comments. I am glad to hear overall of your thoughts that you enjoyed the hotel however there are a few items that I need to follow up with my team.

Once again thank you for your response and I look forward to your return in the near future.

Kind regards,
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We were stopping by on vacation and had a good time at the hotel. Clean and nice. Not the best location, but it only took us about 15 minutes to go downtown, and it was really quiet. We felt it was a pretty good deal for the price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear EinarMo,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Brisbane
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Had a pleasant enough 5 night stay in Harbourside room. Had a few problems arise which were handled quickly and efficiently . Some areas of hotel such as pool starting to get a little tired . Room was clean and fair size with all expected amenities .Minimum Staff all tried hard but they seem to have to cover numerous positions .
A little out of town and i suggest you get at the front of the stampede for the hourly bus run . We ended up having to wait for it to return for a second trip a number of times ( even tho we were first downstairs ) as we couldn't beat those people to it that rushed it like the world was coming to an end ...
No free wifi but free internet PC for 30 mins each day ... Overall was a good experience and had an enjoyable stay but would probably try somewhere else next time just for the hell of it !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear wocka,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent stay at Mercure Cairns Harbourside I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am glad that you found the hourly shuttle bus run useful, we do try to make sure it is a 'firs t come first served ' basis however this can be challenging if we do have a number of people waiting at one time however we are always happy to run duplicate services until everyone is either in or returned from the City.

I was disappointed to read that you would not return to Mercure Cairns Harbourside, I know that there is plenty of choice in Cairns however we pride ourselves in looking after a high number of return guests who come to treat our hotel as a 'home away from home'.

I hope that you change your mind on your next trip to Cairns regarding your accommodation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to assist with your reservation.

gm@mercure-harbourside.com.au
Annandale, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The room was nothing like the picture and I mean nothing.spoke to the manager on duty and was told that how we market the rooms..was the made to feel like he did me a favour by moving me to the room that I paid for after a long discussion and him trying to give me restaurant credit to stay in the room. The room that we were originally in was not clean fridge was rusty and not on, popcorn all throught the lounge and the fact that I had paid for 3 people was still only made up for 2 had to ask for extra bedding and was questioned about that overall very disappointing I was not happy will never go back..

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

4 Thank Kellie D
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Kellie D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a post on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Mercure Cairns Harbourside, I have tried to call you on a couple of occasions to discuss your experience, please accept my apologies that I have had to revert to a Trip Advisor response and that the hotel and the facilities therein did not meet your expectations.

I would like to assure you that at Mercure Cairns Harbourside there is no intention to mislead any of our guests through our marketing material with images or room descriptions. Due to the hotel having a number of different room categories all with different aspects I am afraid that it can be very difficult to show the whole range in it's entirety on every booking channel. I am sorry that the room you were originally allocated did not match the picture on the internet as it was on the top floor of our Mountainview Tower and provides panoramic views of Trinity Bay - not the mountain view that is offered by the suite in the online image.

I am sorry that the room had not been prepared to our usual high levels of cleanliness prior to your arrival and was not set up for the extra person as specified in your booking, this is unacceptable and I have discussed your experience with my Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager to prevent future occurrences.

I was disappointed to read that you would not consider returning to Mercure Cairns Harbourside in the future Kellie D, I would ask that if you are travelling to Cairns please give me a call on the mobile number I provided on your voicemail and I will be very happy to try to make amends for your previous arrival experience.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

On the face of it, the hotel seemed reasonable for budget accommodation but it was further out from the centre of town and Esplanade restaurants than I had expected. Reception was not exactly friendly but was fairly efficient - although I wonder why they actually raised a debit on my credit card given that I had prepaid in full for the room, there was no minibar in the room and we were leaving well before the start of any breakfast service in order to catch a flight out of Cairns. On leaving, the person on reception said that the reserved debit would be released from my card account in "about a week or so."

The room itself was of a reasonable size and adequately furnished, albeit carpet and upholstery cleaning would not have gone amiss.

However, the bathroom was a total disgrace. Chips or holes in the surface of the bath where one would stand to take the in-bath shower (no shower cubicle) had been amateurishly filled with an orange coloured sticky putty-like substance. Mould was plentiful on the grouting around the bath and the inside of the bathroom door was black, rotten and disintegrating at the bottom.

No hotel should be permitted to subject its guests to such filth. It was shameful.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom before you accept the room.