“Muito bom”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great place to stay and will stay again. Looking forward to going again and the view from the balcony was great . Looking forward next time to taking the kids with us, and coming to take that view over water

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Adam L,

Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor, it is important that we receive feedback so that we can continue to improve our services and facilities to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Annick Dubois
Guest Relations Manager
Mercure Cairns Harbourside
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Very unpleasant stay!

We checked in 23rd Jan 2014, for a four night stays of 2 rooms. It has been very unpleasant since the first day. After we checked in, we went on the lift near the reception, the staff did not tell us we went on the wrong lift, luckily we do not have a lot of luggages! When we checked in, they told us one of our rooms was not ready, we could check in one of the rooms first, they will call us once the other room is ready. however, we waited for 40 minutes until 2:30pm, we haven't received any calls. I had to call them and they told me the room was ready, I can go downstair to get the key myself. When we stay in rendezvous hotels in auckland, the same situation happened, but they sent the key upstairs to us instead!

The second day after the whole day activities, we came back quite late. the third morning, after I took a shower, I found out there were no bath towels. I used the small towels instead. Before we go out, I came down to check with the reception staff to make sure they leave the towels today, he did not even lift head to look at me until I mentioned we had no bath towel in our room. He asked me if I notice that last night, I told him I did not take shower last night, as we came back really late. then he just said he was sorry about that, which I expected to hear when I raised the problem at the beginning!

Even worse when we came back around 8pm they did not even tidy my parents' room at all. No made up bed, no clean towels, the rubbish bin was still full, nothing changed! We rises the problem the forth morning, same front desk staff, even ruder! He said "you need to tell us yesterday..." I was shocked I need to tell a four stars hotel staff they need to make up the bed and change towels!? I am here to relax and enjoy my holiday, I do not think a hotel staff should tell me what I need to do! Of course I was upset, and I told him, you were not in the position to tell me what I need to do, you should already know how to do your services! At the end we need to talk to the manager as the rude staff ask me" do you want me to talk to you or not?" The manager on duty was very nice and friendly, both rooms was cleaned nicely when we came back on that day. But is it supposed to be like that when you on holiday and stay in a hotel?
I have stayed some accommodations in Australia and other countries, mercury harbor side gave me the worst experiences! The other hotels I stayed they have modern facilities, the motels and b&b I stayed they offer more friendly and helpful services.
There are also other small things eg:
We booked a taxi through reception, when we came down, I asked the reception whether the taxi was here or not. She told me to wait until the taxi show up. We need to keep an eye on the taxies ourselves, when we waited in the hall. When we stayed in Hilton in Singapore, the staff would noticed us once our taxi was here.

Definitely won't back again! I didn't enjoyed myself during the stay, before I took a shower I always need to check if there were bath towels; when I took a shower the bath taps drop twice; when I came back from a long day activists, I was worried if they made up the room; even I booked for a taxi, I need to keep my eyes on the entry of the hotel. If the hotel manager actually read the review, can you tell me if you had such experiences, will you come back to this hotel again? Will you recommend it to your families and friends?

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Echo-xiaomao
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Echo-xiaomao ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent stay at Mercure Cairns Harbourside, please accept my sincere apologies that the service that you received did not meet with your expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity assure you that the lack of service is certainly not the culture of this hotel and I am sorry that you had this experience. I was glad to read that when you spoke with the Manager on Duty she provided the same high levels of service that you were accustomed to when travelling in New Zealand and Singapore.

Rest assured Echo-xiaomao I have spoken with my Front Office Manager to ensure that this behaviour is not repeated by any of the Team members who were present during your stay with us and that corrective training is carried out to prevent any future guests receiving similar attitudes and replies to their queries.

Although I understand your reasoning not to return to our hotel I would ask that next time you travel to Cairns you contact me directly (via my below details) in order for me to ensure that your future stay is the best one - as experienced by a vast majority of our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Cairns soon,

Yours Sincerely,