Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Hotels.com
US$105
US$92
  • Pool
Tropical Heritage Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$81
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$79
Agoda.com
BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$182
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$94
1,448 results
All reviewsevery hourblue mangoihg memberhourly shuttleshuttle servicetown centreocean viewthe hotel offersclose to the airportminute walkking bedhotel restaurantquiet locationbuffet breakfaststayed here for nightsbarrier reefan upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2014

my husband and I decided to spend a few days in Cairns following an operation on my arm. Swimming is part of my rehab.
When I asked what was happening with the pool I was told it was being upgraded. I said where will we swim ? I was told the hotel could shuttle bus us to the Novotel or take us down to the public pool at the waterfront. ( if we wanted a public pool we could have booked a cheaper motel and taken ourselves down to a public pool)
We let the staff know how disappointed we were.
I wonder why we were not offered a switch to a room at the Novotel where we could have the use of a pool. staff were not interested. When we booked out and were asked how we enjoyed out stay we told them we were disappointed about the pool and not being told there was NO pool when we booked in. The girl behind the counter did not even respond! I sent a message saying how angry and disappointed we were. We were sent a generic response on how they strive to do their best blah blah. My husband was an Accor club member in the past. We did not renew because we were disappointed with the brand. We decided to give this hotel a shot and guess what...we will NOT be renewing our Accor card.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
3  Thank R0sie1
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2014

Dear R0sie1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your stay at Mercure Cairns in March this year, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in my response to you.

I hope that the rehabilitation of your arm has gone well and you are now back to full fitness and I am sorry that the shuttle bus was not convenient to you whilst you were at the hotel and that the response of my Team to your comments was poor.

I have the pleasure in sharing with you that our pool has now re-opened and our guests can once again enjoy the stunning views of Trinity bay from poolside, Blue Mango Café Wine Bar and Teshi's Restaurant.

If you are travelling to Cairns again I hope that you consider the possibility of staying with us again - photos of the new pool can be viewed on accor.com. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Paul Morton
Mercure Cairns Harbourside
gm@mercure-harbourside.com.au

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel pool out of order made very disappointing stay!!Should have been notified prior that swimming was only an option at other hotel via shuttle bus. Hotel facilities ok but looking tired needs revamp. Hotel supervisor wasn't interested in any possible upgrade for special occasion and didn't offer info or discount due to no pool availability.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, Assistant Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2014

Dear Toni C,

Thanks for the review.

I do apologise you didn't experience the greatest of stays. I do hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and were disappointed. The check in staff were indifferent, not too enthusiastic at all. They missed a wake up call, apparently a phone problem, rooms and facility is tired, our room was spartan, stained carpets, shower temp near impossible to control, in addition to credit card imprint and and extra $50/day was charged to cover other charges we might incur, which resulted in a confusing check out, too many charges on the cards, reconciliation problems, and to top it off a 1.5% charge for using a Visa card. Breakfast is $19/pp for continental, $25/pp for full buffet, not worth it! Pool closed.

A good location, coast road makes it a bit noisy for an open window though, location is a half hour walk from the core, a shuttle is available. Could be a good one if they spent money on room upgrades, new trained staff, straighten out very confusing wifi access, etc.

2  Thank Highfade

Dear Highfade,

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived at approx 8 mins to 2pm and somewhat greeted by a chap who either doesn't really like his job or just can't be bothered. Told we can get paperwork done but room isn't ready until 2..no way was he going to check and see if the room was 5 mins early..ok then sorry we are a tad early!
Would've been nice if he'd showed a little enthusiasm and told us there is a bar if we'd like in the meantime but no, we had to ask, also no advice on parking, restaurant or wifi. Surely this couldn't be too hard but obviously being the only customers there, it was indeed all a little too bothersome. Hope newcomers to cairns are told a little more and made to feel welcome?
Anyway we found the bar, no customers, in fact no guests anywhere, but the barman was lovely and did a great coffee and beer.
Half hour later went back to front desk and after a bit of ho humming finally got our key. Pick up your game mate!
The room was sparse, desperately needs a bit of refurb and love.
Bed ok, balcony nice with a partial view out to the lovely esplanade, pillows lumpy and cheap but if you test them early apparently there is a pillow menu.
Be aware that this hotel is a good 20 plus minute walk into town, we know cairns well and just needed somewhere close for an early air departure plus we had the car, on the plus side there is a courtesy bus which will drop you into town.
Pool is closed for a reno, so no swimming for a spell. We didn't try the restaurant, preferred town for dinner.
We live in FNQ so are quite reasonable when it comes to mould but mould on the ceiling is not acceptable, bit of mould spray please.. Bathroom also had more than it's fair share too. Bathroom tiny, shower over bath, good hot water, no safety handle though so be careful getting in and out!
All in all average stay, staying in cairns again in 3 weeks at one of the Rydges so it'll be good to compare as price is similar.
Mercure needs to rethink this place as it could be so much better with a little tlc and enthusiastic staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kezCairns

Dear KezCairns,

Thanks for the review.

I do apologise you didn't experience the greatest of stays. I apologsie for the staff's attitude which is out of character for all our reception staff.

I do hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had a couple of nights at the Mercure. Great views over the Coral sea, rooms are ok but in need of a refurb as looking rather tired. Shuttle Bus into town a bonus. No pool as being repaired would have been a problem if travelling with children, although again shuttle bus to another pool available. Staff very helpful especially Scott who drove the shuttle bus, always a smile for the guests and gave loads of tips and advise when asked - a true asset to the Mercure.

Room Tip: Superior room with sea views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Wathey,

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor, it is important that we receive feedback so that we can continue to improve our services and facilities to our guests.

I will pass on your appreciation to Scott for the mention I know this type of feedback to our team members is very important and makes them feel that they do make a difference to our guests experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Annick Dubois