“not happy”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Cairns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at the Mercure for 4 nights in March and was really pleased with my choice. I paid extra for an ocean view room and didn't regret it - the view was amazing!

My room was massive - and the bed could have fit 5 people in it! The room had everything in it you'd need but was basic - would have been good to have had a bigger wardrobe - or more drawers to put my clothes.

The hotel is 5 mins from the airport and a 30 minute walk from the main pier. There are a lot more hotels nearer to the pier but the walk was lovely and I did it every day.

The food at the hotel was just ok - although the burger and fries were AMAZING! The coffee shop they have in it was brilliant though and great price and they did a good deal on coffee and cake.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff - every single one I spoke to was so friendly, polite, charming. I have travelled extensively and have never met staff like this. They were just so nice!!

Only negative was the pool was being refurbished so couldn't be used but they laid on a bus to get you to the Novotel to use theirs for free.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Katie W
MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Katie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Harbourside Cairns.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Guest Relations Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Mercure for 5 nights as a single traveller. I booked an oceanview room which was very spacious, clean and had fantastic views to wake up to in the morning.
The walk to town was pleasant along the seafront and too be honest a nice distance to avoid the noise of the party crowds in the town.
All employees that I spoke to were very pleasant and helpful and booked tours and called cabs with no problems. I left a dress in my room and this was sent onto me at my next address with no problems.
I had a great time in Cairns and thought this hotel was excellent value for money. Would def book here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Lynsey W,

Thank you very much for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Mercure Cairns Harbouside
oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel shuttle helped to make their location okay. However, one sometimes had to wait for a second or third run as the van only held 9 people. An upgrade to a small bus would certainly be a plus. It's location on the harbor was definitely a plus for those having time to walk the "boardwalk" directly behind the hotel, extending into town and beyond. Take advantage of the fridge to stock with breakfast items unless you want to pay the standard $25 for breakfast buffet. Great room, great service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Barbararob,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor. It is important that the feedback provided by our guests is passed to my team to ensure that we continuously improve not only on our services but our facilities.

Please note that our shuttle bus actually can sit 11 passengers and that we do as many bus run as require to make sure all our guests can go to the city.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Guest Relations Manager
Lombok, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

my husband and I decided to spend a few days in Cairns following an operation on my arm. Swimming is part of my rehab.
When I asked what was happening with the pool I was told it was being upgraded. I said where will we swim ? I was told the hotel could shuttle bus us to the Novotel or take us down to the public pool at the waterfront. ( if we wanted a public pool we could have booked a cheaper motel and taken ourselves down to a public pool)
We let the staff know how disappointed we were.
I wonder why we were not offered a switch to a room at the Novotel where we could have the use of a pool. staff were not interested. When we booked out and were asked how we enjoyed out stay we told them we were disappointed about the pool and not being told there was NO pool when we booked in. The girl behind the counter did not even respond! I sent a message saying how angry and disappointed we were. We were sent a generic response on how they strive to do their best blah blah. My husband was an Accor club member in the past. We did not renew because we were disappointed with the brand. We decided to give this hotel a shot and guess what...we will NOT be renewing our Accor card.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R0sie1
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 12 December 2014
Dear R0sie1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your stay at Mercure Cairns in March this year, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in my response to you.

I hope that the rehabilitation of your arm has gone well and you are now back to full fitness and I am sorry that the shuttle bus was not convenient to you whilst you were at the hotel and that the response of my Team to your comments was poor.

I have the pleasure in sharing with you that our pool has now re-opened and our guests can once again enjoy the stunning views of Trinity bay from poolside, Blue Mango Café Wine Bar and Teshi's Restaurant.

If you are travelling to Cairns again I hope that you consider the possibility of staying with us again - photos of the new pool can be viewed on accor.com. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Paul Morton
gm@mercure-harbourside.com.au
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel pool out of order made very disappointing stay!!Should have been notified prior that swimming was only an option at other hotel via shuttle bus. Hotel facilities ok but looking tired needs revamp. Hotel supervisor wasn't interested in any possible upgrade for special occasion and didn't offer info or discount due to no pool availability.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, Assistant Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this review, 20 December 2014
Dear Toni C,

Thanks for the review.

I do apologise you didn't experience the greatest of stays. I do hope you return in the future.

Thomas Kelly
Caledon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and were disappointed. The check in staff were indifferent, not too enthusiastic at all. They missed a wake up call, apparently a phone problem, rooms and facility is tired, our room was spartan, stained carpets, shower temp near impossible to control, in addition to credit card imprint and and extra $50/day was charged to cover other charges we might incur, which resulted in a confusing check out, too many charges on the cards, reconciliation problems, and to top it off a 1.5% charge for using a Visa card. Breakfast is $19/pp for continental, $25/pp for full buffet, not worth it! Pool closed.

A good location, coast road makes it a bit noisy for an open window though, location is a half hour walk from the core, a shuttle is available. Could be a good one if they spent money on room upgrades, new trained staff, straighten out very confusing wifi access, etc.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple