“Cairns trip”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Some improvements may include better communication. Prior advice as to the closure of the 'Esplanade Street Entrance' would have been helpful. We had to carry our own luggage to our rooms, no assistance.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MercureHsideGM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Travel_Bug1109,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Review on Trip Advisor. It is important that the feedback provided by our guests is passed to my team to ensure that we continuously improve not only on our services but our facilities.

In regards to your concerns I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the fact that you had to take your own luggage to your room. I have addressed your feedback with the Front-office Team to ensure that they are offering this service to our guests when requested.

Once again I thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Mercure Cairns Harbourside

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Tried this hotel as I have just joined Accor rewards program, if this hotel is typical of the service I will be receiving i've waisted money. The rooms are tired, a shower with a curtin that sticks to you, old disfunctional shower heads, no glass in the room to have a drink of water, I would have got a drink from the mini bar but had no mini bar....they did however put $100 on hold on my debit card for the mini bar usage. I had $700 of my own money tied up for a two night stay totaling $300 which has thrown my working bank account into disaray. The staff basically did not care when questioned about any issues, the service is poor, rooms are old, and they have caused me a dishonour fee with my bank due to their incompatence. I will be taking this further, not recommended at all.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rob B
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Rob B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor post following your recent stay at Mercure Cairns Harbourside, please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel and the service therein did not meet your expectations.

Further to your feedback I have spoken with my Front Office Manager and other departments concerned to ensure that your experience is not repeated for our future guests and that my Team ensure that they have all of the relevant information available prior to discussing any queries with our guests.

In Relation to the credit card pre-authorization taken upon your arrival at the hotel I am sorry if the Receptionist did not explain this process to you. The credit card pre-authorization is requested from all of our guests upon check-in to enable any incidentals to be charged to their room account, Pre-authorization is not a charge by the hotel to your card but a ‘hold’ of the funds placed by your financial institution. If one chooses to pre-pay prior to their stay, our policy is to pre-authorize only $50 per night.

Depending on your financial institution or account type, the pre-authorisation may appear on your statement as “pending” until it is released upon check out. Every bank also holds the amount for a different number of days (5 to 14 business days) which unfortunately we do not have control over, in saying that we are happy to contact the financial institution on your behalf and request release of any ‘held’ funds. I have addressed your feedback with the front-office Team to ensure that they are offering this service to our guests.

I am very disappointed to read that you would not return to Mercure Cairns Harbourside Rob B, if you are travelling to Cairns in future I would encourage you to contact me on the email address or telephone number below in order for me to welcome you back & share the high levels of service normally received by our guests.

Best Regards,

Paul Morton

gm@mercure-harbourside.com.au
Direct Line - 07 4080 3008

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at the Mercure for a couple of nights at the end of February. As other reviews have said the location is quite good with nice views and a relatively easy walk along the beach to the town centre. If you're not up to the walk then there is a free shuttle on the hour. The staff were friendly, but on the whole I thought the hotel was a bit tired. I got a reasonable deal but the promotional material omitted to say that there was no pool as it was being renovated - very disappointing. The management have since advised me that they now provide a free shuttle to a nearby pool - not quite the same and no help to me.

Room Tip: If arriving by plane catch a cab - it is only a couple of dollars more than the airport shuttle but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear MaroochyRiver,

Thank you for taking to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is important that the feedback provided by our guests is passed to my team to ensure that we continuously improve not only on our services but our facilities.

In regards to your concerns I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the pool facilities of the hotel. I have addressed your feedback to our Front Office Manager to make sure all our guest are inform on check in of the shuttle service to use the pool at our sister property. We also since add a letter in every guest room to make sure all our guests are inform.

Once again, we appreciate you sharing your experience, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Mercure Cairns Harbourside.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We got this booking in advance thru Wotif.com with a good deal. We recently stayed for 2 nights and was really impressed by the ambiance and service. The check in process was quick and professionally handled by the Front Office Team Leader . She clearly briefed us of the hotel's facilities & other services that they offer. The shuttle service to the city was a plus factor for the hotel.

The room was clean & huge and has a good view of the esplanade.The hotel was clean and well maintained in most areas.

Special thanks to Asst. Manager , Nick, who has helped me organize a birthday surprise for my hubby ; kudos to the chef for the sumptuous meal and a mouth watering birthday cake for my hubby ; hats off to our waiter that night who was very pleasant and always anticipated our needs.

Overall, the hotel experience was indeed a very good one. I would recommend this hotel to our friends and would definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SMP0718,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside. ,It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will pass on your appreciation to Nick and the rest of the team for the mention I know this type of feedback to our team members is very important and makes them feel that they do make a difference to our guests experience.

Once again SMP0718 thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed at the Mercure Cairns for 4 nights in mid march. The location is about 2km from the city center of Cairns. The trip from the airport is around 15A$, they offer a hourly free shuttle to the center of Cairns and if you prefer to walk along the beach, there is a nice promenade and a fitness path. It just takes about 20 mins slow walking into Cairns.
The hotel has very nice and clean rooms, the staff is very friendly and helpful (got a great restaurant and beach recommendation from them)
The value for money is excellent.
At the moment their pool is under construction, but they arranged alternatives if you really need a pool.
Would definitely stay there again, because its a nice quiet place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Frank,

We very much appreciate your review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank sueelm
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at the Mercure for 4 nights in March and was really pleased with my choice. I paid extra for an ocean view room and didn't regret it - the view was amazing!

My room was massive - and the bed could have fit 5 people in it! The room had everything in it you'd need but was basic - would have been good to have had a bigger wardrobe - or more drawers to put my clothes.

The hotel is 5 mins from the airport and a 30 minute walk from the main pier. There are a lot more hotels nearer to the pier but the walk was lovely and I did it every day.

The food at the hotel was just ok - although the burger and fries were AMAZING! The coffee shop they have in it was brilliant though and great price and they did a good deal on coffee and cake.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff - every single one I spoke to was so friendly, polite, charming. I have travelled extensively and have never met staff like this. They were just so nice!!

Only negative was the pool was being refurbished so couldn't be used but they laid on a bus to get you to the Novotel to use theirs for free.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 198katiew

Dear Katie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Harbourside Cairns.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.