“ok but need to learn priorities”

Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Travelling with a friend from overseas I specifically booked a twin room via an online booking service. So we checked in--no problems and get upstairs to find a king bed. Sorry, two guys are not sleeping in this. I go back downstairs and there is a queue waiting for check-in. I wait to the side after the japanese staff serve a couple of people and then make the point that I've already checked in and have been given the wrong room. What? I'm told to wait until she serves all the people waiting to check in. Surely she must realise that this has the potential to upset a guest. I've already been through the check in process, they've stuffed up but now I have to return to the back of the queue. Fortunately an assistant manager came out to assist with the queues and he explained that they could make up the settee into another bed or we could have a twin room. We chose the larger king bed apartment and the room was made up quickly with little fuss.

I politely pointed out that I thought the young lady serving had her priorities wrong and that I explained that there was a problem but she, in effect, ignored me. She then defensively tried to explain that the other customers checking in were equally important as me. This was not a good thing to say, of course to a customer who's just been given something other than what he booked. Of course all customers are important, so why didn't she call for help from the staff in the back room rather than just relegating me to start again? Anyway as soon as they saw that I was irritated by this there were apologies all around. However, they didn't seem to understand. The apologies were just a way of diffusing the situation. It seems a shame to me. There was a simple mistake about the room that they were happy to fix but because of the ignorance of the staff they end up with a digruntled customer.

Ok now the room. We had a small apartment. It's no more than a 3 star. It's a pleasant location on the foreshore and no more than a 10 minute walk to the centre of town. They operate a free shuttle on the hour which is nice. There is a coffee shop and a restaurant downstairs but expect inflated prices. I've stayed in better for the price. The price for the in room internet was the most expensive I have even seen for a day anywhere in the world and I travel internationally frequently. Lucky I have my mobile roaming device.

Coming from Brisbane I found Cairns to be expensive. Even the Macdonalds charges outrageous prices. It seems that every retailer jacks up the price due to the tourist nature of this town. But Cairns sure is a nice place to visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
MercureHsideGM, general Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009

Dear Blue Heeler,

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that occurred whilst you were checking into the hotel.

In our industry first impression are lasting impressions and something that is in the fore front of any service orientated training that we deliver to our staff.

I would also like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. All too often we do not gain critical feedback from our guests which is an opportunity for our organisation to correct and improve our offerring.

I have spoken with my Front Office Manager and Assistant Managers to ensure that all of our team members are briefed on your experience and how it should have been handled.

We are all human and make mistakes from time to time but it is how we handle these situations that makes the difference.

Again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that occurred and I do hope that you choose to stay with us when you next visit Cairns.

Klaus Kinateder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 9 July 2009

We arrived a little earlier than check-in time and was told the room was ready for us. A lovely start. The room was light and airy. The beds and pillows were the best we've come across - very comfy. We experienced no noise and had a very comfortable stay. We had a very easy pleasant walk into Cairns central about 20 mins. and took their shuttle back. Staff were very helpful and pleasant and we enjoyed a lovely breakfast buffet overlooking the pool. Well Done!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2009

Dear Planetwonderer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time in Cairns and staying at the Mercure Cairns.

At our hotel, we like to get our guests that arrive early into their room as soon as possible.

There is nothing worse than having to wait for your room all day when you have been on the road or in the air all night.

I hope that you enjoy the rest of Australia as much as you have Cairns and also have the opportunity to visit us again some day.

Reviewed 28 June 2009

My son and I were travelling Australia and booked 3 nights at the Haurborside. I upgraded to Harbor view. It is well worth the money to have the view. I don't know what the other rooms were like but ours was like this. The view and balacony were faboulous, can't remember what floor but I think there was 2 floor above us. Getting off the elevator was a little disappointing, the ceilings were low in the hallway and lighting was dim, with a slight musty smell, but once in the room everything was better. The beds were unbelivable, I don't like soft mattresses but these beds were like sleeping on clouds. I wish I stayed there after visiting the outback not before. I could have used the luxury after Ayers rock.
The staff was very accomodating, check in and out was a breeze. There was an Asian girl at the counter and her smile went from ear to ear. A little too much all the time, but it put smiles on our faces everytime we saw her. We couldn't help but laugh, she was so pleasant and smilly. The first night we arrived it was rainy and the staff lent us an umbrella. They have shuttle buses leaving every hour to and from town.(free). The drivers were pleasant and even one time there was too many people for the shuttle and the driver made 2 trips. You might be able to walk downtown, don't think it's far for someone who enjoys walking and has the time. We hired a taxi to take us to the marina one morning only $10.00 and to the airport $15.00. Our 2 full days we had tours so we really didn't get to use the facilities at the hotel (resturant,pool, there is no gym).

• Stayed: May 2009
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2009

Dear 2304FISH,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time in Cairns and also The Mercure Harbourside.

I love the photo's that you took from your room, they turned out great and really highlight how great our location is.

The views over the mountains are just as good on sunset and of an evening the city lights light up the night.

I will let my receptionist know that her smile made your day. She does smile alot but it is just natural for her...That's what Cairns does to you...

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the furture.

Reviewed 15 June 2009

This is a solid 3-star hotel in terms of facility and amenities, and we were treated very well on the one night we were there. When I booked through the website I mentioned it was our honeymoon, and though I'd booked the less expensive mountain view room they upgraded us to the water-view room. In addition they sent up a bottle of champagne. Very nice touches and much appreciated. The hotel was clean and comfortable, although the bed, like most in Australia, was hard. The carpets in the rooms and hallway were a bit worn but otherwise things were in good shape. Furnishings and bathrooms are nice but not super fancy or luxurious. The water view rooms look across the street across a park and out over the water. Yes it's mudflats when the tide is out but the view was actually very nice even then. The biggest downside to the hotel is that it's just a bit too far from the central business/tourist area to be truly convenient if you don't have your own vehicle. There's some debate in other reviews about how long it is to walk and for us it was about 20-25 minutes to the start of where most restaurants and businesses are. We're major walkers and will hoof it anywhere but after walking to and from the central area in the afternoon, after we came back to the hotel to clean up for dinner we were annoyed that we'd have another 25 min to get back to a restaurant for dinner. So we took the once per hour bus the hotel runs and it was fine, then walked back after dinner since we didn't want to wait a half hour for it. The good part (for us) about its location is that it was away from the overwhelming young backpacker and tour-sales feeling of the central part of Cairns, so it was quieter and calmer than that area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Dear Phoyo California,

I am glad that you were well looked after by the team during your recent visit with us.

I don't want to sound full of it but this is what I would expect from my team as normal practice.

You quite rightly pointed out that some areas of the hotel require some updating but one thing that is always of great focus in our operation is - " A Great Welcome" and attention to "Clean Rooms".

We have 2 towers in our hotel complex and we have just finished re-painting one of these. Our focus will now shift to the remaining tower.

But don't worry, we take out a complete floor to do this work and we are not using any noisey machinery so there is no inconvenience to our in-house guests.

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, it is so important to get honest and constructive feedback from our customers but more importantly we need to know if something is wrong whilst you are with us.

Our goal is to have our guests leave the hotel with positive and favourable memories of the hotel and the Cairns region.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 20 May 2009

We flew into Cairns late iin the evening & didn't arrive at the hotel until after 11:00 p.m. and exhausted from traveling. The night attendant was not very cheerful or inviting. We went into our room & I was immediately disappointed but knew we wouldn't be in our room much. The carpet had stains all over it. The paint was chipping everywhere. The furniture was beaten up and stains on the bedspread. It was not very clean! There was rust in the bathroom and chips everywhere. I got into the shower to clean off and quickly got out as the water temperature fluctuated so much. I started scratching and feeling as if I was getting bites all over me. I am not alergic to anything either or very sensative so for me, this was quite a big deal. I thought maybe I had been bitten at after leaving the airport by mosquitos but I asked my friend and he also felt very itchy. At that point I immediately went down to the front desk to inform them of the situation. The front desk agent didn't know what to do and didn't seem to care so I asked for the manager on duty. I told her we needed to change rooms but asked her to accompany me to inspect the room. She seemed irritated at that. She asked if we had been in the rainforest that day & I informed her we had just arrived by plane. She casually looked under the matress for bugs or bed bugs but didn't see any. When I asked her about the condition, she stated they know they need to do repairs but it just hasn't been done yet. She said the carpet was like this in all the hotel. She gave us the key to another room and what a difference. The carpet still had stains but there weren't as many, there was no rust or scratches in the bathroom. The paint was much better and the furniture not as worn. I know rooms can vary but the first room was worst than any hotel room I stayed in college. The second room was much more clean and comfortable. The water temperature still fluctuated. The day management was much more hospitable and confident. It is quite amazing how drastic of a difference in both rooms as well as the evening/day shift personel and I do hope the management takes note of how unprofessional it is for such inconsistency. The hotel is much further from the action in the esplanade but you can walk it or take a quick taxi. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rebeccamp75
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2009

Dear Rebeccamp,

Firstly, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that occurred during your recent stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside.

We are currently repainting the rooms and corridors within the hotel and unfortunately the 1st room that you occupied had not been attended to yet.

This is why you would have seen such a difference between rooms.

We are also in the planning stages of a major refurbishment, where basically all joinery, carpets and furnishings will be replaced.

We are hoping that work will commemnce in late 2009.

I have spoken with our Night Audit team regarding the lack of service that you encountered during your stay.

Attentiveness and a smile can go a long way and in this industry is a must.

Our maintenance department is also making investigations into the fluctuating temperatures in our water system.

Again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that has occurred and I trust that you enjoyed the many activities that Cairns has to offer.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2009

We arrived at the Mercure Harbourside in Cairns for a 3 night stay and was pleasantly suprised. The reception area is lovely and spacious and the staff that were on the desk were very helpful. We did not have to wait to be checked into our room either.

The room was very clean with two queen beds easily fitted in. The mini bar was fully stocked and they also had a hairdryer and ironing board if we needed it.

We had a view of the sea from our room which was beyond a second high rise of the hotel. I can imagine that the views from there would have been much nicer, but we were not staying in Cairns to stay in and look at the view!

The hotel offers a free minibus shuttle into the centre on the hour, every hour. One evening there seemed to be an awful lot of people waiting for the 9pm bus (last one at 10pm) and everyone rushed to get on. The lady who drove it said that she would come back for the remaining passengers and she didnt. This was raised at the front desk when we had waited for over an hour for the next bus afriad that we may miss that one too.

The esplanade was lovely and good for people watching. The bars and restaurants along the coast were lovely too.

Overall, the room was spotless, the staff were very friendly and the hotel in a great location, so if I were to ever go back to Cairns I would definatley stay at this hotel again,

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2009

Dear HelsInTheSun,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Mercure Cairns Harbourside and also for taking the time to write a review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time in Cairns and also had some spare time to soak up the local atmosphere.

There is plenty to do in Cairns and we often forget that there are activities in and around town that don't cost a fortune.

I would also like to apologise for our bus driver forgetting you during the 9pm bus run. I will follow this matter up further with our Front Office Manager.

Again, thank you for your support and I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2009

It may seem weird to write a review for a hotel you stayed at almost 2 and half years ago, however on the flip side, it demonstrates how much we loved this hotel, its city, and the people in which we still think about after all this time. It may have been luck or fate, but from the second we stepped into the Mercure and the aroma of fresh Stargazer Lilies hit us until we left, we were treated exceptionally by ALL staff.
From the front desk to the cleaning staff to the chefs and the bartenders, we had great experiences with each and every one of them for the short time of 4 nights that we were there.
The saying is true in which if you ask a question, the worst they can say is no. In this case, we were content with our room that we originally had which did not face the harbour. However, we asked the simple question to see if they had any available and we wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade. Without much hesitation and just a simple check, the front desk was able to accomodate an upgrade! Next, it was a special vacation for us, and we were craving strawberries. Little did us ignorant Americans know that they had a bad year for strawberry growth and strawberries were scarce. However, the chef at the restaraunt was able to contact another chef/manager at another restaurant (who so happened to be her husband), and special ordered them for us drizzled in chocolate. The restaraunt was phenomenal in which we ordered the HUGE seafood platter and of course more dessert. The bartenders were extrememly nice as well and designed many different drinks and shots for my wife and I, and we just had a great time until the closed.
The hotel was extremely comfortable, the pool and the jacuzzi looked stunning, though we did not swim - the great barrier reef tired us out. Awesome location close to the city - whether walking, by taxi, or they have a service at the hotel as well. Great times all around!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MercureHsideGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2009

Dear Tampa,

Better late than never, I say but after 2 and half years you probably need a return visit!!

I wish I could take the credit for the wonderful stay you had with us but I have only been General Manager here for 12 months.

I can tell you though, that this hotel has always had a great reputation for friendly staff that delivery great service.

I actually worked at this hotel 12 years ago as a breakfast waiter and many of the team are still here.

I agree with you when you say that Cairns is a great place. I recently replied to a review and told of my journey to Cairns for a working holiday and here we are more than 10 years later and I am still here.

We still have the same chef working for us, Khalil, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to him. I think he will happy that his kind gesture and help is still dear to your heart after so many years.

I must give him a wrap here...He is a great Chef...he might be young but he has a real passion for uncomplicated, fresh and delicious food.

We are just about to re-design our dining concept but I will be sure to let him know NOT to take the seafood platter off the menu.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review and I do hope that you have the opportunity to make a return visit and say hello to the team.

Kind Regards,