“Cairns package tour”

Ranked #31 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane
“Cairns package tour”
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We visited for 5 nights through a package deal and were very pleased with the content and value of the tours as well as the resort's setting. No, it is not near the sea nor near the city, but all the shuttle pick ups were well organised and on time; we were well prepared for this as we looked up the location and weighed it to other locations being offerred. The resort package was well in advance of other offers.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank holterburger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed 13 September 2007

We booked one night in what we thought was a 4star hotel. We arrived at the airport at 10pm and had to wait one hour for the shuttle inspite of providing arrival details when we booked.The room we were taken to was by the rubbish bins with only a hedge between it and a busy road. The carpet was stained, the bathroom paint was dowdy and scratched and the room smelled of smoke. The airconditioner wasn't working. The staff member who took us to the room was going to call management .By this time it was midnight nearly so we asked to be moved to another room This happened and the next room was much better.
The restaurant was tired looking and the food and service very average.
We wont stay here again

• Liked — shuttle bus to leave the hotel asap
  • Disliked — shabby smelly room to start with.Felt that we were given the worst room on the premises because we booked on wotif
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemstone511

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

kiama
Reviewed 1 September 2007

we stayed at the palm royale as part of a package tour , and was a bit dubious after reading some reviews.
but i must say we were very impressed ,our room was serviced every day, the meals at the snack bar were very nice and good value and the dinning room was just as good as any ala carte restaurant we have been to , the swimming pools were very clean, if there was one criticism it was the spa not heated, been from the southern states found it a bit cold in there.

• Liked — cleanliness and peacfull
  • Disliked — to far from cairns central
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kiwigazman
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2007

My wife and her girlfriend spent a week here on a fabulous package. tour (7 days/6 nights). The facilities were great, staff could not have been more helpful, and the pools were just fantastic. Buffet breakfast and dinner at Chesters was just great. Beaches Cafe was great and food was fantastic, well priced and staff were just lovely. We stayed in a twin (king and single) room was small but clean - very quiet apart from a noisy air conditioner. Most of our travel was done using pre-booked tours, however the hotel provided a regular FREE shuttle to both Cairns city and the airport. Shopping centre within easy walking distance, however I don't recommend walking at night. The hotel is about 5-10 mins out of the city centre. All in all a great place to stay would highly recommend.

• Liked — Staff, food, pools
  • Disliked — Noisy air conditioner
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anth B
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2007

I stayed here while on a group tour. I was lucky and had a very nice room with a king-sized bed, that overlooked the lagoon pool. My fellow travellers were not so lucky, ending up in musty rooms that faced the busy road.

The hotel is a bit out of the way, but then again, most hotels in Cairns are, and it's not overly big, so it's easy to get around. You can catch a bus across the street to the left (by the strip mall) that will take you down to the Esplanade for pretty cheap. The hotel also provides a free shuttle which you must pre-book.

The flora around the grounds is nice. The pools look inviting and are a very nice spot to relax and unwind after doing all the excursions and activites that the area is famous for.

Whatever you do, avoid the restaurants. We had breakfast at Chesters. It was horrible, and they start putting everything away at about 10 minutes before 9. Unless you are a very early riser, don't expect much besides dry toast.

Overall I loved Cairns and may return to this hotel as it is reasonably priced, but only if I got the same type of room. It really does make or break this property.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank work2travel
tasmania
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Before I left to stay at this hotel I read the reviews on this site and I was unsettled to what expect. As someone who has stayed around the world in various hotels from 1-5 stars, this place is very good. I think many people have too high expectations for what you get in carins for under $100. If you want a true resort, Cairns is not the town, must travel further on. I stayed there for 2 nights and it was very relaxing and I found the security arrangements high. One of the reviews I read on this site states that rooms were broken into while sleeping? Why not use the inside latch as found in hotel rooms around the world, they are provided? There are two labels in the room advising guests to lock all balcony doors etc when leaving the room and they do provide a room safe taht I used. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The pools were very nice, the free shuttle bus service very useful and near a large supermarket to get supplies. If you are after a once in a lifetime tropical resort holiday, this would disapoint, but if like me, you are after a nice quite and relaxing place for a few nights after arriving in Cairns before moving on, this placce is above average and for $79 is very good value in this high season tourist location of cairns. Also one of the photos I have seen on this site show what is claimed to be dirt on the hand dispenser in the bathroom, but this is in fact the marble effect of the plastic used. I think some people are never happy...I would give this place 3 1/2 stars. I believe unless you spend your entire life in 5 star resorts around the globe, this place would be suitable.

• Liked — friendly reception staff
  • Disliked — other tourists
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank jackster80
London
Reviewed 12 September 2006

Stayed here as part of a group tour for 3 nights.

On the plus side, it does have nice grounds, the staff were keen and quick to help when I reported things that were wrong and there is a free shuttle bus to the centre of Cairns.

On the minus side, the tour leader warned us that the neighbourhood the hotel is located in was not the best, and to ensure our valuables were locked away. Upon inspecting my room I discovered that the interconnecting door to the next room was not locked, highlighting further security issues! Two light bulbs did not work, no hand towels were provided only bath towels, and the shuttle bus to central Cairns did not run late enough into the evening to enable a meal to be taken in the centre and to then utilise the free bus back to the hotel.

On the whole, a nice hotel, but it appeared to be too large for the current management to maintain and service effectively.

• Stayed September 2006