“I should have known better”
Review of Palm Royale Cairns

Palm Royale Cairns
Ranked #33 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
kangaroo island
“I should have known better”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

OK, the reviews are mixed, but we thought we'd give it a go.
The motel is out of town, which is no problem since we had a car.
Unfortunately there's hardly any onsite parking, so we had to park on the street.
The room and the whole motel looks out of date and in need of maintenance.
The room size is fine but the bed was very uncomfortable, the carpet stained and the TV didn't work.
The airconditioner roared away like a truck, as did the ceiling fan unless it was on low, which was ineffective.
The room opened onto a balcony which overlooked the pool and directly opposite the rooms on the other side of the pool.
There were no curtains, only sliding timber shutters.
This meant that there was no privacy with the shutters open or no view at all with them closed.
We checked out after 3 nights with barely a nod from the surly young woman in reception.
The only plus- at $69 a night it was cheap, but not cheap enough to make me want to stay again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Townsville, QLD
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We have stayed in this hotel twice. It really has a resort like environment and is only a few minutes drive from the Cairns CBD. It us too far to walk from the CBD, but we were told there are buses. There is a good size lap pool, a huge relaxing pool and a spa. All the rooms are pool facing and also have small balconies. Rooms are spacious and clean. Only downside is that the hotel does not have parking facilities. Guests need to find a spot on the street outside, it can be difficult.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rabs003
port macquarie
Reviewed 11 January 2012

On arrival for a three night stay at the Palm Royale the first impression was that it looked extremely large but could look really nice if the exterior had a face lift. On arrival the reception was very helpful and after taking the lift to the 3rd floor I was very happy with the spacious room that awaited me. The room was fresh and clean and beds very comfortable. The balcony overlooked the large pool and attractive gardens and it was pleasure to sit and watch swimmers etc. I found the room to be very quiet with no noise from adjoining rooms and the air conditioning coped extremely well. Although on a business trip I enjoyed my stay at the Palm Royale and would not hesitate to stay again in the future

Room Tip: Ideal for a family holiday with a budget
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Malanda, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Our first room had a slumping bed, changed to second room that had an ineffective air-conditioner (got back very late and children had fallen asleep before we realised air-con wasn't working). Pool had wires and light-fittings sitting around (obviously the wires weren't live, but still looks very D class). Yay for elevator but BOO for no-airconditioning in it, given it was mid 30+ outside - made for a very hot, stifling but thankfully short ride. Placated with free buffet breakfast when we complained to staff about room air-con. Cook/Chef was nice, but we wont stay again regardless of price, as we often go to Cairns for overnighters. Have had much better stays in other hotels for a comparative price. Distance from town didn't bother us as we had our own vehicle which was parked in the street overnight.

Room Tip: Don't go for the big rooms unless they install BIG air-con. Visited a friend in a rival hotel t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank choicewordz

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Charleston, SC
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at the Palm Royale while in Cairns because I was looking for a budget hotel that also supplied free shuttles from the airport and downtown. This hotel supplied all and more. I didn't plan my activities before like I usually do because of the rain, but they were able to help me book tours and I was picked up on the side of the hotel at the tour bus stop. They also supplied great dinner options for delivery because the weather was not the best while I was there.
There were little ants in my room the first day, but the maid was able to help with that. The major downer for this hotel was the lack of internet access for your personal pc. They charge $2 for 20mins and being from the States, I'm used to internet at my finger tips all day every day.
The bed was not comfortable as it felt like a sofa sleep with a bar running horizontally across the bed. They do have a very nice pool area and the view was nice from the balcony.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank tlittlej
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We stayed two nights and then went up to Port Douglas for two nights. We were so pleased with Palm Royal Resort we booked in for another two nights when we returned to Cairns. The staff were wonderful (especially Ellen S, Assistant Manager) who made an extra effort to help my husband as he finds stairs difficult. Many thanks. This is an excellent choice for budget conscience travellers who want good quality rooms, lovely pools (3, including a spa) and caring staff. It is quite away from Cairns Esplanade but there is a small shopping centre across the road for groceries and essentials and the resort also has a bus service...although we found we really needed a car to get around. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2011

RECEPTION: On arrival my husband found female receptionist abrupt and unfriendly. However, over the next 2 days we stayed, TOP marks to the gentleman on reception who was helpful & friendly in every way. Also Bus transfer driver.
POSITIVES: A lift to 3rd Floor Unit 50 which was clean & nicely furnished Grecian style with excellent silent air-conditioning; adequate lighting, alarm clock. Bathroom light airy & spotlessly clean with laundered white toweling. Bar fridge & tea/coffee making facilities. Daily housekeeping - change of towels & tissues every day. Spares if needed.
DOWNSIDE: I found the pillows too small and thin, so extras may be needed. TV too old with bad reception. I found it off-putting to see my reflection in opposite units but door shutters are available for privacy.
LANDSCAPING SURROUNDS: Manicured exterior with no rubbish at all, with pathways lined with tropical plants. View of long pool from our patio - lovely. Bird song in trees, beautiful. Waterfall and long pool very inviting - pristine water & surroundings - loved the light tropical rainfall. Didn't last long.
GENERAL: This hotel was once upmarket but NOT any more and let it be judged accordingly considering Tariff compared with other accommodation houses. The KS bed had laundered cotton sheets, a plus these days & mattress was comfy. We enjoyed 3 excellent night sleeps; and as stated previously, only missed a better quality TV.
For COST & VALUE: V.Good & Fair tariff quoted. We'd stay at Palm Royale again without hesitation and hope for as good as expectations again in future.
SITUATION: This outer Cairns suburb was convenient for us as we hired a car.

Room Tip: We found the surroundings very quiet - mid-week.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple