“Great value, ideal location, outstanding staff”
Review of Cairns Plaza Hotel

Cairns Plaza Hotel
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights during the ironman triathlon festival. Staff were happy for us to check in early despite not having arranged prior. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable and in this price bracket was more than satisfactory given it's ideal location right on the esplanade. We had a standard room but still had mountain and partial water views which were wonderful. The balcony was a bonus, an ideal place to relax in the evenings to enjoy the sunsets. The room was serviced daily and apart from a bit of sketchy tv reception, we couldn't fault any aspect of the stay. The staff were the point of difference for me as without exception they were fantastic and a credit to thr hotel. Would highly recommend to anyone looking in this price bracket.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
GM-Paolo, General Manager at Cairns Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to post your review following your recent stay with us.
My team and I thoroughly enjoyed looking after the many triathletes that stayed with us during the Cairns Adventure Festival - it was a fantastic time to be visiting the tropics.
I'm thrilled to read your complimentary review and am thrilled that your experienced some great customer service during your time with us - it is what we pride ourselves on and am glad that on most occasions, we "get it right".
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit Cairns.
Paolo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The staff were outstanding at this hotel, couldn't have had a better experience.
The hotel was on the main road of Cairns, at the furthest end away..but still within walking distance from restaurants and bars.
Reasonably priced, clean and friendly staff, couldn't have wanted more!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shannon O

Thank you for your kind review focusing on our friendly team members - we pride ourselves on ensuring guests remember us for our friendliness especially.
We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back shoudl your travels bring you to our part of the world again...!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Room was great , loved the view. Great position. The standard of the toiletries could do with a rethink and a minibar would be good.
On the whole the staff were great and the room was clean and tidy, I will be staying here again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brett C

And we look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Were told by Paolo, the manager that this was the first hotel in Cairns. The staff were lovely and helpful. We had one of the refurbished rooms w/ refrigerator and hot pot for making coffee (coffee supplies included) Borrowed a hairdryer from reception. There are no in room safes. The hotel provided toiletries but I must say they weren't great. The hotel advertises free WiFi but it was down while we were there. However, Paolo let me access e-mail from his computer to check on my elderly mother. They have a great little pool but it is "on the street". Brochures for various activities in the lobby and the staff are great w/ making bookings or suggestions. Also be sure to ask what's going on at the Tanks, music/art venue at the Botanical Gardens. Hotel is easy walk down the Esplanade to restaurants, the Night Market etc. We actually walked to the Botanical Gardens, about a 40 minute walk. Cairns is expensive; food in restaurants, activities etc. We did thoroughly enjoy our stay in Cairns..in part due to the staff at the hotel and the location of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms. Some rooms have microwaves in addition to refrigerators thoug...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pachappa2
GM-Paolo, General Manager at Cairns Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Ladies - thank you for taking time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.
We will certainly look into our amenities into the future.
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team and I played a part in enjoying your time in our part of the world.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at the cairns plaza over the easter weekend ,it was a nice room with seperate lounge and bedroom , the staff were very helpful and friendly and good value for money $95.00 per night , breakfast is not included but the room has facilities with a microwave and all equipment to cook . it is close to shops and walking distance to the RSL which has good food , i cant say the same for the staff there, they are very abrupt and a little disinterested in serving you . the room at the plaza overlooked the water and it was lovely seeing all the birdlife flying in to roust at dusk. this was not the first time i have stayed there ,and will not be my last . to get to the airport a mini bus line called Sun Palm will transfer you for $7.50 a head door to door they also transfer to your hotel from the airport for $ 10.00 per head all in all a lovely stay

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for a sea view room 507 is nice
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your response following your recent stay.
It is always great to receive such positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit Cairns.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

We have stayed in this hotel 4 times now over the last year and this place although a wee bit "tired" looking it is super clean and tidy. The renos are going ahead at great steam and the hotel is looking great. Price is reasonable and the "ocean view" self contained rooms I fully recommend. The main thing that keeps us coming back here is the way you are treated by the staff. From the management down to the housekeeping ladies we were treated "very special" Thank you all so much for your genuine care and attention to us both. A fantastic effort Paulo, Neville, Spencer, Nerene, Star and the housekeeping ladies..oh and the chef!! Keep up the good work guys and we WILL be back. Thank you all again.

Room Tip: Oceans views!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kath499659
GM-Paolo, General Manager at Cairns Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking time to post your review following your recent stay.
I, like you, believe the team here at Cairns Plaza Hotel are pretty fantastic....! I shall certainly pass on your great comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed in Cairns Plaza for 2 nights, I was put in the room on the second floor. Something was spilled in front of the fridge, all carpet in that area was spotted and unpleasant to walk on, I always wanted to put my shoes on just to go to the bathroom.
It was impossible to sleep during second night, Noisy back packers were having a party of some sort and were yelling and screaming and laughing and singing till well after 1 am. Nobody seemed to care.
The stuff is friendly enough, but the friendliness comes with a price tag sometimes. I need an invoice, and I asked them if breakfast could be removed from the invoice. The day staff on duty told me no problem. I stressed, that if it is too hard, I would like to have itemised invoice, Again the answer was no problem. The night before my check out I asked if my invoice was ready, Night receptionist (Neville??) said it was, and that there were adjustment to my bill. I didn't quite get it, but when i went to pay the next day,i found out that adjustments meant extra $10 for printing out 1 sheet of paper!!! When I questioned that it was quickly removed from the bill.
My trip was for a medical reason, i booked this hotel only because it is in walking distance to the hospital and to diagnostic centres. I'm sure I can find other hotels for the same price near by with cleaner room, without noisy neighbours and with staff that won't charge extra for a simple paperwork.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Nqueenslander

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay.
May I offer my apologies for what appears to have not been a great stay.
Please be assured that we will never charge $10 for printing out an invoice; again I offer my apologies for what was an obvious mistake.
Thanks to our proximity to the hospital we certainly have the pleasure of looking after many hosptial-related guests and look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back when next you need to travel to Cairns.