“Nice hotel, great spacious rooms, amazing view”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Elwood, Australia
“Nice hotel, great spacious rooms, amazing view”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The staff at this hotel were wonderful, and typical of other Shangri-La hotels I've stayed at. The facilities were of a high standard, even if the pool was a little cold. My room was quite spacious, very clean and a fabulous view of Cairns and the beach heading up north. My only complaint was my room, number 2030 smelt of Indian every day. It took me a while to figure out what this was, but I finally realized it was the restaurant downstairs. It only seemed to be my room as my colleague next door didn't have this problem. Overall, a great experience

Room Tip: A big no to room 2030
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Lukeandjamie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pearl Beach NSW
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed 5 nights after having stayed 4 at the newly refurbed Cairns Hilton (they were full so had to move..). An interesting experience and not one that I have experienced at the 3 other Shangri-La's that I have stayed at expecially the first night.

Nice hotel and allocated a nice Horizon Club room (26) as had booked, however the service on night number one was less than acceptable. Multiple phone calls to housekeeping resulting in no action and finally a call to the Duty Manager got what were minor issues (but annoying ones) sorted. Sophia the Duty Manager was most apologetic and I feel embarrassed by the situation caused by lack of action on the part of the housekeeping staff. Further exacerbated by an incorrect room service dinner order being delivered and topped off with the NOISE coming from the sailing club down the boardwalk! The band there played until midnight and was quite audible in my room with all doors closed. This happened again on the Satuday night but was not quite as intrusive, thank goodness it was relatively quiet the following 3 nights. so much for a quiet nights sleep.

Overall, nice hotel but beware of the NOISE expecially if you are in a room facing the marina on a Friday or Saturday night. And if you think it will be like the Island S/L in Hong Kong, or either of the S/L's in Bangkok or Singapore, think again!

Pool looked nice and hotel was well maintained, comfy bed, but worlds smallest LCD TV, and Club staff and Concierge all pretty ok, as were the Duty Managers that sorted things.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, avoid the marina side.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank michaelpearlbeach
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here while attending a national conference at the nearby conference centre. Located on the waterfront the hotel is immersed within the local restaurant and entertainment precinct so crowds and late night noise from nearby bars can be an issue. The rooms are well appointed and generally clean although wear and tear is obvious, even in the more expensive hotel suites. The hotel layout is large so walking from the room to central locations can be quite a trip. The club facilities are adequate although crowded at peak times - staffing here can be an issue as several guests had to interrupt staff hidden in the kitchen in order to get service! Overall a good hotel to visit.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Worldtravelleraust
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I was heading to Cairns for some warmth, a holiday & see friends - & couldn't decide between this one & the Pullman - so did 3 nights in each.
The reviews on this place are pretty accurate - not bad but def not all that good.
I arrived very late at night & check-in was fine. My room was about as far from the lift as you could get - be warned that the main corridor is 100m+ long. I was on the Horizon Club floor which was good & you get a decent breakfast included which is good.
The room itself was smart & modern with a very stylish bathroom. The sofas are not really comfortable though & the outdoor furniture is wooden with no cushions - looks nice but uncomfortable.The overall hotel is decent although I found the pool area tired & uninspiring.
I had issues with the service here. I ordered room service for lunch one day - after 50 minutes I called to check on it. They looked into it & called me back and said they had lost the order. I had to head out so was not impressed & told the front desk on the way out. The duty manager offered me a $40 credit for food on my bill. So the next day I tried to use it at the pool bar at 12.15pm to order some lunch - no one there. I then went to my room to place the order. The phone rang out twice. I then went down & told the front desk as I headed out to get some food for myself. The staff got the Gen Manager over who was close by. The only thing he offered to do was place my order personally. Suffice to say, besides breakfast, it seems like a challenge to try & eat in this hotel. Twice in two days I tried to get food at lunchtime without success - what a joke! Nothing was taken off my bill or even offered as further compensation.
When a hotel (especially one that is part of this chain) cannot get the basics right then it really falls down flat in my eyes. Check out my review of the Pullman Reef - you can get good service in Cairns...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank WalterBW
packerbacker04
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife, son, and I stayed here on a Saturday night in July. I had read previous reviews suggesting we avoid the marina side and had asked for this in my reservation request. At check-in, we were greeted with an "upgrade" to the marina side. I asked whether the room would be loud. "No problem, it is not near the bar." Indeed, it was about in the middle of the hotel. But this was still a bad decision...somehow it was loud most of the night. I had unsettled sleep, but my wife had real problems. First lesson--do NOT accept a marina view no matter how nice it is if you want to sleep.
The second lesson had to do with their "deals." On-line the price was $175 and included breakfast, but when I entered the credit card it switched to $225. I asked explicitly when we checked in about the price. "No worries--it is $175 including the breakfast." Good breakfast, in fact, with many different options. When we checked out, the woman the next day wanted to charge the additional $50. I told her what the woman the night before said. Fine; she started to enter in the lower price. Her manager then came over, countermanded her, and said that breakfast was $50. I repeated that the woman the night before at the counter had told me differently. He refused to budge. We had a boat booked to Green Island and needed to go. I decided to pay--missing the boat would be a real issue--but I really hated this. Lessons: get EVERYTHING in writing, and realize that "upgrades" are not what they seem. I should add that, in addition to the breakfast, the room quality was fine. If we had managed to sleep well and if we had not left feeling ripped off, we would have enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: never take a marina room if you care about noise
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank packerbacker04
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here for a week and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is very convenient, in a nice part of town and the best part was the fact that there were so many resturants to pick from just downstairs on the marina. It is also very convenient to walk a block to the city centre.

Our room was spacious and comfortable although the furnishing was somewhat dated and in need of an upgrade at some stage. Large pool which was great. Reception and concierge were very helpful and friendly. Wifi is free which is not common with Australian hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 July 2011

So I own a business in Cairns which I (love to) have to visit every month.... So I stay at 'the Shang' whenever I'm in Cairns. This is the best hotel in Cairns. It's proximity to the water is second to none; overlooking the Marina where the dive boats leave to the Great Barrier Reef. (Tusa Dive would be my recommendation there btw). The hotel rooms are very comfortable even though the bathrooms need a full update urgently. The staff at reception are fantastic. Food and Beverage? Pass on the f&b inside the hotel and head to one of the many restaurants and bars underneath the hotel. My top two tips there are Bellavista Bar which serves FANTASTIC pizza in a bar environment, heaps of wines by the glass and lots of icy cold beer taps; and Waterbar Steak House where the ribs and steaks are sensational! (Oh the Pillows that Shangri La buy are like clouds.....!)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business