Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
US$172
US$111
US$97
  • Restaurant
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$125
US$102
US$89
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$114
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$88
2,753 results
All reviewshorizon clubclub roomnorth restauranthorizon roomone bedroom suitethe great barrier reefpool bartour deskan upgradereef terminalshopping centrebit datedfantastic locationbuffet breakfastcanapesbalconyconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed one night in Sept before my dive trip in the Great Barrier Reef, and returned for two additional nights after my dive trip. Service is great in the hotel, from the reception desk to the bell hops. In fact, amazingly the bell hop and reception greeted me by name when I returned! The hotel is located right next to the esplande, and is within walking distance to everything. The marina room views are the quietest.... as noted by previous travelers the noise from the bars on the bay side is annoying! Rooms are a little dated, although very clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Delighted to hear that the writer enjoyed their two stays with us. Thank you for recognising the efforts of our team, your comments are very encouraging.

To address the comment relating to the noise - I can assure all readers that although we have a variety of restaurants and bars on our doorstep, all have noise restrictions and curfews in place as dictated by the Queensland Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (QLGR). We work closely with our neighbours and regular decibel readings are taken to ensure they are compliant to the limitations set out by QLGR.

Thank you again and we do hope to welcome the writer back when next they visit our region.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed in Shangri-La, The Marina, Cairns while on a 'Best of Australia' Goway Travel tour. I was in an upgrade luxury suite overlooking the marina on the 3rd floor. The room was beautiful, comfortable and spacious. The hotel staff were very gracious and helpful. Free Internet service was provided in a common room on the main level. The gardens were lush and well maintained and the location could not have been better.

The restaurants were good and the amenities, such as the pool, the fitness centre and the mall the hotel was attached too and marina were great. I loved the promenade along the harbour (if you can call it that - being a muddy shallow during low tide). I marvelled at the parrots and huge flying bats flying into the trees at dusk just outside my balcony. The noise from the birds and bats was something out of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"...absolutely amazing...but that has nothing to do with the hotel and everything to do with the 'location'.

When leaving I filled out the guest comment card and had noted a complaint (It was at the onset of my trip and I can no longer recall the issue). Much to my surprise, shortly after my return home from my trip, I recieved a personalized letter from the hotel manager thanking me for bringing the matter to their attention; that my comment was discussed in their weekly staff meeting and that they would take action to improve this portion of there service, with an invitation to bring my visit to their attention should I be back to stay in this hotel again. The letter was extremely well written, and appreciative of the constructive criticism that I had provided. I have never seen a reply to a customer service card from any other hotel, let alone a detailed, custom letter! Well done. This hotel chain really does care about its customer service.

If I ever return to this part of the world (I hope to) this is a hotel that I would definitely stay in again.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, choose a room without a view of the bay. The birds and bats make a lot of noise for a good hour or more as they fly in at dusk and settle in the trees for the night. Otherwise, choose the upgraded suites. They are fabulous!!!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Serendipity003

Thank you to the author for their great comments! The ‘Best of Australia’ tour is just that and I am pleased to hear the author enjoyed their time here in Cairns, and more importantly, their stay with us here at the Shangri-La.

I am pleased to note that you received our letter upon your return home. We most certainly value all of our customer feedback, both the good and the bad. It gives us an excellent insight from a guests’ perspective as to where our strengths and weaknesses lie and where we can look at improving.

I do hope you make it back to our beautiful region and we will only be more than happy to welcome you back here at Shangri-La.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed here for a conference. The staff made this place. Very friendly, always greeting you in the corridors etc. The rooms were clean, but dated. Old CRT TV's and the bathrooms need a total refit. The beds had duvets and all room balconies. The rst of the hotel was OK, food was excellent and it in a great location.

Room Tip: try and get on the club level with access to the lounge. These rooms have been refurbished and are very modern.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Many thanks for your honest feedback. I do agree that we are ready for a renovation and as such, we are currently in the process of finalising these plans. At this stage we anticipate kicking off the renovation sometime in the first half of 2012.

You will be pleased to note also that the old CRT TV’s are a thing of the past as all TV’s have recently been upgraded and our rooms are now fitted out with brand new LCD’s.

We hope to see you back here again soon whether it be for business or pleasure!

Reviewed 20 September 2011

My wife and I have stayed in a few Shangri La hotels previously and have never been disappointed. The hotel is in a great location on the harbour side as part of the marina development with a number of very good restaurants in the local area. The hotel facilities and internal décor was to a very high modern standard. We used the swimming pool which didn't seem to be heated and found this to be very cold. We stayed in a Deluxe Marina room that was very spacious although the room was a little dated but in good condition.

One night we dined in the hotel restaurant which was excellent but was surprised to find it was quiet in comparison to the adjacent eateries. I would also highly recommend the American Grill which is the next restaurant along the marina.

All-in-all a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Marina views are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you to the writer for taking the time to share their thoughts with fellow travellers. As previously mentioned, we are extremely blessed with our great location right on the Marlin Marina with unbeatable views.

I have shared your comments regarding the temperature of the pool with our team and in particular, our Chief Engineer. He is currently researching and sourcing information on various options available to us to heat the pool so that our guests can utilise the facility year round in comfort.

Thank you also for the great comments about North Food & Wine. We have recently welcomed Dean Bouvet to our Cairns family as Executive Chef so expect to see some new creative additions when next you visit.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have stayed at the Shangri-la Cairns a number of times this year for business. I have found the hotel staff to be very helpful, with nothing too much trouble for them to organise (e.g. restaurant bookings, taxi's, luggage issues etc). The rooms are the nicest ones in Cairns (as compared to the Sebel, Mantra and to the Hilton), especially the rooms looking over the harbour (it's definitely worth spending the extra money). The beds are fantastically comfortable and just what you need after a huge day in the office (or sightseeing). Additionally, the gym downstairs is free for hotel guests and they have a good range of exercise classes and machines (cardo and weights). I haven't tried their restaurants but the room service menu has some nice variety and the lasagne is fantastic (hence the need to go to the gym!).

Room Tip: I would pay the extra money for a view of the water, or if you are going to go city view then try and get Floor 2.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DimityA

Many thanks for the kind words about our Hotel and even more importantly, your endorsement of our colleagues and their commitment to customer service. It is great to receive such feedback from a regular guest and we look forward to welcoming you back again when next you return to Cairns.