Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
US$92
US$87
Ibis Styles Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$75
Hotels.com
US$76
US$73
  • Pool
Park Regis City Quays(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$80
US$101
US$90
Hotels.com
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$104
US$126
US$115
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$83
US$156
US$86
US$288
US$179
Travelocity
2,753 results
All reviewshorizon clubclub roomnorth restauranthorizon roomone bedroom suitethe great barrier reefpool bartour deskan upgradereef terminalshopping centrebit datedfantastic locationbuffet breakfastcanapesbalconyconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here with my friend in a twin room. We had two queen size beds that were lovely and comfortable.

The location is good - on the marina with a mall downstairs which includes a gym, hair dresser and lots of restaurants looking out to the water. The shuttle to the airport is reliable and inexpensive.

The pool area was clean with plenty of sun loungers available and anyone making too much noise - or smoking - was quickly told off by staff. All in this was a really relaxing experience :-)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This Shangri-La Cairns was right at the pier if you intend to do any island tours, diving, etc., and the location couldn't be better for all the shopping and dining on the Esplanade. It wasn't quite up to the quality of the Shangri-La we stayed at in Sydney, but the staff was very nice and helpful. Didn't care for the triangular shaped bathtub--we are all over 6' tall so that was useless. The outdoor pool is beautiful at night with changing colored lights. Considerable walk from lobby elevators outdoors past the pool to our room (sometimes in the rain.) We paid big bucks to have the view of the harbor, and I have a beautiful photo of the sun rising over the mountains in the morning mist that I have titled, "Why they call it Shangri-La." Highly recommend you NOT go to Cairns in their summer (we went at the end of November/beginning of December) and it was over 90 degrees F and at least that much humidity. So you were fine if you were in a bathing suit, otherwise you were dripping in perspiration. I understand 9 months of the year are GORGEOUS in the 80's. But the Great Barrier Reef is not to be missed. Did look at several other hotels in the area and this seemed to be one of the nicest. I ordered a prawn cocktail at the hotel restaurant and they brought them whole with heads, eyes and antennas--about a foot long each, and it disturbed me to have to peel off the legs and head and skin, and devein them before I ate them--I just don't like my food looking at me--so be forewarned about that.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This hotel is conveniently located in front of the marina. We stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. We had a great view of the marina, with plenty of things to look at. Our favourite time of day was from 4:00 pm sitting on the balcony with my gorgeous man and a bottle of wine watching all the boats coming home to the marina after a day on the reef. We'd also watch them go out in the morning. We had a day out on the reef ourselves, and it was so easy that our hotel was right at the marina - no travel time to the marina in the morning or afternoon, which was heaven at the end of the day when we were tired. There are plenty of great restaurants along the boardwalk just downstairs. In fact, it was hard to choose which one. I've stayed in Cairns a few times at a few different hotels and I think this is the pick of the hotels. Our room was comfortable and roomy, separate bath/shower, great service, etc. Happy to recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room Tip: A marina view room is worth it
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CCCtheworld
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This was a perfect spot for shopping, excursions and dining. There was a concert in the park one day and a fitness fair of sorts another day. A lot of excitement and fun. I was worried the noise would keep us up, but things settled down early. The room was fine, the view very nice and the service very good. We asked for a transformer when we checked in and they gave us this big box that made me feel very confident that my electronics would get the proper conversion. Other hotels we stayed at only had adapters which will not step down the higher voltage to our 120v American products. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheilia P
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Great location near waterfront and restaurants. A room rate of $150 - $190 for standard room represents good value. Rooms are spacious without being large. Free wifi which is good. Only negative is limited room service menu however nice restaurants downstairs.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple