Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Hilton
US$167
US$147
  • Restaurant
Tropical Heritage Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$64
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$122
US$214
US$163
  • Pool
Cairns Plaza Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$82
Agoda.com
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$106
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Coral Tree Inn(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$82
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$95
HolidayInn.com
Reef Palms(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$89
2,771 results
All reviewshorizon clubclub roomnorth restauranthorizon roomone bedroom suitethe great barrier reefpool bartour deskan upgradereef terminalshopping centrebit datedfantastic locationbuffet breakfastcanapesbalconyconcierge
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I had high expectations of the Shangri-La, given it's Asian cousins provide a true five star experience. Check in was easy and a pleasure (Katrina I think it was was exceptionally friendly and helpful). I was assigned a City View room, which was apparently an upgrade but did not look so when looking at the advertising pictures. It went downhill from there. The room was so cold when I got into it that I phoned housekeeping and enquired about portable heaters and was told there were none. I turned up the thermostat, no effect, turned off the air con, no effect so I could not relax in the room and had to go out. I also wanted to go out as there was an incredible racket coming from the park directly outside which was hosting a festival! Generally the room felt quite tired - wall sockets loose, paint chips etc. There is a $10 tray charge on the already expensive room service!

The worst part was the housekeeping which was about 2 star standard. There was only one cup on the two person tray when I arrived (no big deal) but on day two, a dirty plate had not been cleared from the room, there was still only the one cup on the tea tray, my clothes that had been on the bed were on the floor and various doors and cupboards had been left open!!! It looked like someone had been interrupted and forgotten to finish the job!

On the plus side, the breakfast was superb and highly recommended. The location of the hotel is also very very good. With a few small attentions to detail this hotel could be great, but the effort was just not there given its 5* rating. I stayed at the Sofitel in Brisbane the next night. This cost less and was a far better 5* experience!

Room Tip: I would go for a Horizon room if you want to experience 5*
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank aircon123
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear aircon123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us although it is disappointing to hear you did not have an enjoyable stay.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues you encountered further with you and as such, invite you to contact me direct by emailing me at george.wee@shangri-la.com.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

The Shangri-La Cairns is a fantastic hotel, there is no doubt about that! But there are a few things that let it slip from the usual exceptional rooms and service of Shangri-La's throughout the world. The rooms are maybe getting a bit dated and are not styled the usual way of Shangri-La's, perhaps this is just to fit in with the tropical north Queensland setting. The breakfast is not nearly as good as once is hotels such as Shangri-La Singapore and Hong Kong. Nevertheless, a very nice stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank smbsstt
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear smbsst,

Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travellers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La when you next find yourself visiting our beautiful region…

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We had high expectations of our Horizon Club room and were not disappointed. The room, the view and the location could not have been more perfect. Previous reviews had prepared us for the longish walk down the corridor to our room and we did not find it to be much of a problem. We enjoyed lunch and drinks by the pool after checking into our room.... pool temp a little too cool for us although others went in. The canapes served with drinks in the Horizon Club Lounge were too good to refuse and led us to decide on a late dinner which we really enjoyed downstairs at Tha Fish. Breakast was good and Min happily made me a cup of hot chocolate after I enquired if one were available.
Our one night stay provided the perfect beginning to our holiday. We have stayed longer in Cairns previously when we travelled as a family and have already done many of the things there are to do in Cairns.

Room Tip: Look online for a good deal and stay in a Horizon Club room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear kjp921,

Thank you for the terrific review and the lovely words. We are pleased to know that we did not disappoint and created a most memorable stay for you all.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when next you are in beautiful Cairns.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were upgraded without even asking to executive level suite with spectacular corner room views and access to the lounge for cocktail hour with appetizers and continental breakfast in the morning. There is a shopping mall connected to the hotel with great stores.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelfan57

Dear travelfan57,

Thank you for your great comments and we are very pleased to know you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our Executive Suites from which to enjoy those amazing Marina views.

We look forward to seeing you back here again soon…

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I checked into this hotel on the 5th July, 2012, the foyer of this Hotel is fresh and modern but what was to be the best asset at this establishment was the receptionist, she was sensational and ever so helpful. We had booked a Marina View Room overlooking the Marina on the 2nd floor. The room was dated, small and very basic, it did have a small balcony from which you can sit and take in the sea views. The issue I had was that our room DIDN'T CONTAIN ANY SOAP, a call to house keeping produced one small tablet of soap and I was told that was all that is supplied. A call to the Duty Manager was greeted with a condescending attitude when asked for a tablet of soap for the shower which was begrudgingly supplied some time later. I'm sure there are better places to stay for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phil3194

Dear phil3194,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we appreciate your lovely comments regarding the receptionist who looked after you upon check in.

I do apologise that our accommodation did not meet with your expectations. Our guestrooms are amongst the largest in the city and as you mentioned, have the additional benefit of a personal balcony with floor to ceiling windows allowing every opportunity to enjoy our tropical climate and spectacular views across the Marlin Marina and Trinity Bay.

I cwould like to assure you that your comments regarding the replenishment of the amenities in your room have been raised and discussed with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure such incidents do not occur in the future.

Again, thank you for sharing yoru comments and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when next you are visiting our beautiful region.

e-mail.