“Fantastic”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Best hotel ever we stay in. Got there early and got offered upgrade. The room was overlooking the marina. The breakfast, canaps and drinks was awesome. Staff very friendly and very helpful. I ripped my dress and asked for a safety pin and they gave me two sewing kit which included a pin was very happy with this service and overall. Will definitely be back next year. Thank you again :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
George W, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Ang_C_79,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to share your experiences following your recent stay with us. We hope to see you again very soon…

Gurpreet Gulati
Resident Manager

Reviewed 8 February 2013

got there early , room not ready was offered upgrade for 40 dollars , took it found ourselves on the top floor adjacent to The Royal Suite over looking marina, huge room comfy bed, huge tv, wall to wall windows amazing views up grade also allowed us to join the Curzon club free drinks & canaps 5 till 7 pm , worth every penny ate at hotel restaurant very good, the door into the Royal siute between our rooms was open sp peeped in their , what a room , no idea of cost so crept out.
pool huge with seperate childrens area, only there one night awaiting flight to Brisbane but would stay longer next time

Room Tip: room next to Royal Suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank peter k

Dear peter k,

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the Marina views the next time you visit our beautiful region.

Gurpreet Gulati
Resident Manager

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Stayed at the Shangri-La during a brief overnight stay. We had two Horizon Club rooms which were terrible!! First of all the walk just to get to the room was insane!! Then we discovered they were right above a bar therefore loud music and the typical bar noise was so disturbing. Our Aunt moved rooms but we stayed because the only other option was a room with two single beds. We had to keep the tv on just to drown out the noise. Then we discovered the air conditioning control was broken so we were miserably warm all night. I'm so happy we only had to endure one night!!! Not at all impressed!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jessica O
George W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2013

Dear Jessica O,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.

Obviously I am disappointed to read your comments as our aim is to delight our guests each and every time. I would genuinely welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further and invite you to please contact me direct at george.wee@shangri-la.com.

George Wee

Reviewed 28 January 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a lovely long weekend in Cairns, thanks to the Shangri-la.
We booked a Horizon Club room after reading favourable reviews here and we weren't disappointed.
On arrival, our room was ready early (around 10.30am). First big tick. Katrina checked us in at the front desk and noted we were staying as an early birthday celebration for my 40th. That night, on returning from canapés and dinner we found fruit, chocolates and cards from the staff and General Manager in our room - a personal touch I will never forget. Thank you.

Our room was very spacious and clean, with a beautiful view of the marina and hills beyond. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and toilet and a bath complete with bath salts. L'Occitane toiletries were a lovely touch; there were even toothbrushes supplied. There is a view out to the balcony from the bathroom, as well as from the very comfortable king sized bed. The bookmarks and water left for us each night as part of the turn-down service were a lovely touch.
The room also had a large desk and sitting area, and a huge TV. There was a wide selection of in-house movies as well.

The Horizon Club drinks and canapés were a perfect way to start an evening; the food was delicious and the service staff attentive and unobtrusive. The daily breakfast was the same; great service and delicious food.

We absolutely loved the hotel and the service and will definitely be back. Thank you.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary S

Dear Mary S,

I am delighted to know you had a most memorable stay with us to celebrate your very special occasion!

Thank you for your lovely words regarding our staff and in particular, your comments regarding Katrina. She is a great team member always looking for ways to ensure our guests have a great time whilst they are with us.

We look forward to seeing you back again very soon!

George Wee

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Been to Shang-ri La hotels in the past (Emirates) and expected a high level of service. The staff did a great job even with technical issues (internet/voice outage in Queensland) and my short arrive notice (3 hours). Great hotel (near the marina if you are a diver it's really helpful). Found a deal on Expedia that made the costs really competitive and included free wifi. The hotel staff are super friendly and the garden balcony is a nice area to relax. The internet here is very quick and speedy. Room is very comfy and quiet.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BigScubaDiver
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Outstanding stay in Cairns - we stayed 4 nights in January and were nothing but impressed with this hotel, in particular the exceptional service from all staff. We upgraded to the Horizon Club on arrival and are glad we did. The larger Horizon Club room had a great view of the marina and was nice and clean. The drinks and canapes are well worth the extra and the friendly staff were always their to welcome you and ask about your day. Would happily recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cairns.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Horizon Club!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awhitzaus
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I have booked a room at the Shangi La in Cairns from the 14th - 20th Feb 2013. My girlfreind and I are very excited as we can only get away for a week so decided to go 5* all the way. I read on there site that they offer airport transfers so, I rang to book a transfer and was told that it will cost me $75.00. I wasn't expecting to have to pay for the transfer and find the $75.00 fee very steep indeed.
When you consider that Back packer hostels offer this service for free, I thought a 5* property would at the very least be able to match it.
The staff that i spoke to were very polite so that is a welcoming sign.
I have stayed at this property a few years ago and was very impressed with the service.
I will update with the rest of my experience at this hotel in the coming weeks.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple