“The staff were five star, the hotel needs a make over”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

For a 'Shangri-La' I was expecting a higher quality room, but the staff made it worth every cent! The hotel is in desperate need of a make-over, however I've found that this is the case for most resorts in QLD. Don't let the 5 star fool you!
On the upside, as noted the staff were wonderful! They were aware it was our honeymoon and had arranged complimentary wine and chocolate on arrival. The girls at the front desk suggested great restaurants and in their own restaurant, they arranged a table for us in the bar section to eat dinner so my husband could watch the origin match while we ate.. Ever the romantic! The buffet breakfast was really acceptional and the location was perfect for us.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Shangri-La Hotel located at the Pier in Cairns does not live up to it's name. The best aspects are the locations of the hotel and the large pool. However, the room we stayed in was only moderately clean (dusty with an alcohol bottle and rubbish stacked behind the curtains) and the beds and pillows are extremely uncomfortable (springs can be felt through the mattresses). There is also no parking and there is a two week wait to have your deposit refunded to your credit card. Two weeks seems ridiculous given the technology available. I have stayed at the Shangri-la before and after two weeks of waiting for my deposit to be "released" I phoned the hotel and drove back to Cairns to arrange the release in person (as the receptionist I spoke to couldn't do it over the phone). I assumed that this was a mistake and booked a room again last week, I offered to pay in cash, including the deposit, to avoid any issues this time. However, the receptionist still charged the room fee as well as a $100 deposit to my credit card. He assured me it would be put back on, that was two days and three phone calls ago, and I am still waiting for him to fax my bank to release the funds that the hotel is holding. He now informs me it typically takes two weeks for the deposit to be released, and a letter has to be sent to my bank. This hotel is only worth booking if you have to book at room in Cairns at the last minute, otherwise it is not worth the trouble.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda81755
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had a single night, great room with a good view. Probably a bit of overkill on the upsell attempts at check in, but otherwise great! The bathroom was spacious as was the room, and staff friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I booked the Shangri-La Cairns based, as many before me have, on its name and the stature the brand carries. This was a mistake. My partner and I arrived at 8pm by taxi and were not greeted on the driveway, finding the porter busy gossiping at the bell desk. I went to check in and Rosie at the front desk (still in training) was fabulous. Very friendly and thorough. We were checked in and made to port our own bags all the way to the room. The reviews are true - the corridors are horrendously long. The room had 2 beds but I'd booked a king. I phoned the operator 3 times before they answered me and transferred me to the duty manager who proceeded to argue with what I was telling her. Finally a room move was agreed to and she promised a porter would come to give us keys and move our bags. We waited close to 15 minutes but couldn't wait longer as we had dinner reservations.
After returning we went to the new room which had a king bed. The room is spacious, the bed comfortable (but very soft). The bathroom is atrociously old. The wainscoting around the bathtub is rotting and in dire need of removal. The mirror is suffering desilvering and the toilet is yellowed with age.
The balcony is quite small but has a nice chair and table and the view is nice over the marina.
The corridors are filthy and need hoovering something severe. Bits of fluff, room service trays and papers litter the length of it.
We had chosen to include breakfast at a discounted rate. Thank god it was discounted. What a sorry state of affairs the restaurant is. We gave our room number to which the waiter replied 'ok'. We assumed we were to find ourselves a table. None were set. Most were strewn with used plates and scraps of food which were attracting sparrows to peck off of, hygiene at its utmost. I approached the buffet where another waiter abruptly stopped me and said 'have u given anyone your room number!?' (Good morning to you too). All pastries were stale, although some say unavoidable given the humidity in cairns I suggest a smaller basket be placed on the buffet which is replenished more often to mitigate this. The hot buffet was not replenished at all whilst we were there for 45 minutes. There is no butter only margarine. The cutlery basket at the buffet is constantly empty. And again plates remained uncleared the entirety of our time there-attracting more wildlife. I ordered pancakes from the cooking station and was told to wait for them or come back to collect them, as if at a pub. When they were ready they looked lovely until i poured the pot labled maple syrup over them. The syrup was honey. I said 'these are ruined as you've incorrectly labeled this pot. Could you please make more?' I was answered 'no. We don't have enough mixture' Breakfast was simply a circus to say the least. Although it seems quite the opposite; I can't express enough how woeful this was.
At check out I phoned the operator for a taxi to be ready when we checked out. We boarded the taxi only to be offloaded and told we had taken too long for our booking and the hotel couldn't locate us. Strange seeing as I was standing at the front desk. A fight between the cab driver and the porter then ensued right there on the driveway.
Honestly - Cairns is saturated with choice. Stay clear of this hotel. It needs urgent capital injection, or at the very least a major reallocation of expenditure and a change in senior management.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank syd_traveller_8807
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We only stayed overnight in transit from Green Island back to catch a flight to Sydney.

The hotel lobby is lovely, as is the hotel in general. Checkin was quick and easy, fruit provided due to Loyalty membership.

The room comprised of 2 queens and a spacious lounge with a good sized balcony. The room was very modern, extremely clean and comfortable beds. The large bathroom and large bath were very welcomed.

We paid a good rate for this hotel but didn't get a chance to dine due to a early morning departure. Room service prices were extremely steep however, higher than Intercontinental hotels that we normally reside in.

Overall, a great hotel in a fantastic location on the marina.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank luclen
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Anyone who has stayed at any other Shangri-la would be amazed that this carries the same name. The hotel looks very tired indeed. I was in a Horizon Club room which felt very 70s as did the small, characterless Club space. The pool was always crowded and not nearly as attractive as official pictures suggest. Staff were very friendly, however, and hotel service was good. The big exception was the hotel restaurant, North. I was kept waiting almost half an hour before anyone even asked me if I wanted a glass of water. Eventually, I just got up and left. Overall, desperately disappointing. I won't come again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jameswolfe
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Terrific position, really good value considering they included 2 buffet breakfasts, the room was a little tired; staff are excellent and deliver a high level of service.. Would stay there again in an instant!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com