“Not the usual standard !!”

Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have stayed in many Shangri-la hotels hence the reason for booking the one in Cairns , Firstly the staff were very friendly , the view from the room Excellent looking over the harbour and the hotel is in a great location. However this place is very tired nowhere near Shangri la standard . Our room smelt musty and with old decor , also there were building works going on which made the already tired and uninviting concrete pool area look worse. Speaking to the staff it appears that Shangri-la bought this a few years ago and still have to upgrade it to there standards , however I not sure how true that is .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul S

Reviewed 18 April 2014

March 2014 2nd visit to the Shangri La thought we would give the place a second chance as the year before we stayed here. Staff always pleasant on front desk very helpful, staff in the breakfast area on the ground floor always great and obliging. The decor in this place is seriously in need of a renovation I agree with other comments dated areas dark hallways stained carpet bathrooms old timber stained tops showers that door does not close so the floor is wet. We had to wait every day after 3.30pm for our room to be done and one day 4.30. This is a great spot it has all the ingredients for a beautiful stay just needs some money spent on some updates.

Room Tip: Ask for marina view or sea view can't go wrong
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brandjr2444
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had an unplanned stay here for one night after fleeing Port Douglas after the recent cyclone. The hotel exceeded our expectations and the large room was well appointed and whisper quiet.
My son and I enjoyed using the large pool and poolside bar but thought the bar could do with a design makeover, even some flower on the table would help.
The staff at check in and check out were really lovely, courteous and efficient.
We also dined at North and were really impressed with the service and the quality of the food offerings - it was high restaurant quality with really attentive and knowledgeable service. Unfortunately the breakfast the next morning was a disappointment after the beautiful dinner. The breakfast offerings were very unexciting.
The location is excellent, just a stroll to the esplanade pool, the piers for boat and reef cruises are right next door and the main street is a five minute walk away.
Overall a great stay and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

What a great place. My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary in Cairns. We stayed at the Shangri-La and used it as our base to the Great Barrier Reef. Our son came with us as well which made the experience even more rewarding. The Shangri-La gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate our anniversary. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. Perfect location, great staff, excellent bars and restaurants...couldn't be better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I booked to stay at the Shangri-la Cairns for a business trip.

I travel extensively for my work, and found that I was very well looked after during this stay at the hotel.

The very pleasant woman who attended my check in on Thursday ensured I was well looked after and took time to accompany me to the room to ensure I was able to find it.

I was very pleasantly surprised as she and I exited the second lift when she advised me that I had been upgraded- to The Presidential / Royal Suite! I was very surprised as we walked into the suite and the young woman showed me around and explained about the hotel's amenities and restaurants.

The suite was amazing and I was very grateful to have been given it for my stay. I went to see an old friend who works in Cairns whom I hadn't seen in quite a number of years and she came back to the suite with me for a chat to catch up. I was so pleased to be able to invite her up to the suite to catch up- it made the visit that much more enjoyable.

The evening drinks and morning's breakfast in the lounge was also well done with the food available in the evening and the drink a very pleasant young woman made for me, as well as the young man who met me at the taxi when I arrived Thursday afternoon, and who was also in attendance at the lounge Friday morning. All the staff were personable, friendly, and efficient in their jobs.

I can't compliment them or the hotel itself enough for my very pleasant and memorable stay.

Room Tip: Whilst all the rooms at the Shangri-la Cairns are very well appointed and comfortable, I can honestl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I've been lucky enough to stay in a few Shangri-La hotels across the world; sadly this one in Cairns is nowhere near Shangri-La standard, and shouldn't be part of the brand.

I can't understand how this hotel is rated 5 star, it's barely 4 star in my book.

Terribly dated room, stained carpet, patched ceiling from leak, cheap bathroom (really plasticky toilet seat, ancient shower cubicle held together with bodged sealant)....

Staff at front desk and concierge were friendly & efficient- but restaurant/waiting staff were only 'ok'.

I understand the hotel is undergoing some much-needed renovation; but the service and food need some serious work too.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip O
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed in Cairns for two nights as a part of our honeymoon to Aus...the most beautiful and calm city compared to the other cities of Australia and it was worth going to Cairns. Warm but beautiful weather along the ocean side. The hotel is good just along the ocean...so a wonderful view. The room we stayed in had a perfect ocean view...which was beautiful. Room was very spacious and the bathrooms were clean and had all the amenities. But the bed was not comfortable at all. ...we got a complementary bottle of Champagne...The staff was friendly and courteous. The hotel had a waiting room for the guests which had many activities to do. The swimming pool was clean. Breakfast had an average variety...but good enough. Main market area is just walking distance from the hotel. A great variety of multi cuisine restaurants like Italian,Japanese,Indian,etc serving delicious and Tasty food are there in the main market area...quite a busy market it was...The Public Swimming Pool and beautiful Lush Green Gardens with Seasonal Flowers are located just a walking distance from the hotel..The Public pool is Ocean View with stunning and beautiful views... Cruises go everyday from Cairns to beautiful islands which is a beautiful experience.The cruise terminals are just one step away from the hotel.. Overall the city is very peaceful and calm....Would love to visit this place again.....!!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View room....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple