“Just Lovely”

Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Queensland, Australia
“Just Lovely”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This was the second time we had stayed at Shangri La, Cairns. Very convenient location. Close to downtown Cairns and the Esplanade. Ba8 did a nice lunch for room service, a good dinner and a better than average breakfast. We arrived prior to their usual check-in time but our room was ready for us and we could go to the room and let our toddler have his midday rest. This was Sensational. The beds and linen are fantastic, very luxurious. Good range of courtesy soaps, lotions, etc in bathroom. Good supply of towels, etc. Just a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank divinefeeling
RugbyRob, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this review, 25 September 2009
Great review and thank you for referencing the Shangri-La team.

Our location to the city’s best restaurants and bars is unbeatable meaning our guests really are in the heart of the Cairns culinary action and of course only metres from one of the busiest recreational harbours in the country.

Our Horizon Club and Suite inventory amenities are L’Occitane and Shangri-La’s Lavander product is used in the other rooms. Our Housekeeper will be particularly pleased with these comments, thanks you on her behalf.

Early arrivals are always tricky to balance inventory with departing guests but it really does make our job a whole lot easier when we know a guest will be arriving early.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, UK
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We had a garden view room that was big but a bit dark and moved to a marina view room for the second night. The marina view was excellent and good value at A$200

Wifi was free, but the TV was an old 4:3 CRT and not really in keeping with the rest of the hotel.

The hotel was full and it was difficult getting anyone to answer the phone.

Note that any breakfast inclusive rate means room service is not included.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank razlon
Thank you for the review and taking the time to add a few notes. Our Marina View rooms offer spectacular views over the Marlin Marina and Trinity Inlet. I highly recommend a chilled bottle of sauvignon blanc on the balcony at around 1730 to take in the returning cruise boats and sunset.

Shangri-La groupwide introduced complimentary broadband internet in January this year having listened to the requests of our customers. So yes we are the only luxury property in Cairns to offer a complimentary internet service in every room.

Delighted to share that our Suite and Horizon Club inventory is already equipped with LCD televisions and the standard accommodation will be fitted out in early 2010.

Will follow-up regarding the telephone operator and can confirm that room service is not included in bed and breakfast promotions.

Austin
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We loved the Shangri La. The staff was very professional, the room was very nice, and we had a balcony with an amazing view of the marina. The lobby area was very classy with lots of running water and nice lighting.

my partner really appreciated the separate tub for soaking. The balcony was nice-sized and contained 2 chairs and a table. the room had free wi-fi, always a plus in my book. The room was very large and had a comfy bed.

The hotel is a great location - next to the esplanade and lagoon pool, and an easy walk to the docks where the dive companies launch from.

The hotel has a small mall on the first floor, and a several good restaurants/bars overlooking the marina. The place we ate at was very reasonably priced considering the location.

the pool is very large and looks like a fun place to hang out on a nice day. unfortunately the pool wasn't heated, so it was a little too cold for me.

One nice feature we didn't take advantage of was the early arrivals room, for people who show up at the hotel before their room is ready.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HowlinTom
RugbyRob, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, The Marina, Cairns, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Thank you to the reviewer for the wonderful comments about our location and the facilities we provide. It certainly reads that this guest took advantage of all things Cairns to have a terrific holiday.

Sydney
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Stayed for 8 days at this hotel - a combination of business conference and family holiday.

The hotel is in the best spot in Cairns. Close to great restaurants and all the day trips from the pier. The rooms were tastefully decorated and the hotel itself spotless and top-notch.

Most of all the staff were all extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.

Would definitely recommend and can't wait to get back there.

• Liked — location, service
  • Disliked — couldn't fault it
  • Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nicolejohn_9
Thank you to the writer for this wonderful review. We do share these comments with our colleagues and it’s always nice when our guests recognise the efforts of the team.

We look forward to welcoming the writer back to ‘the best spot in Cairns’.

belgian
Reviewed 13 August 2009

After staying for 1 night at a youthhostel in Darwin we were absolutely over the moon with our room at Shangri-la. Of course you cannot compare a YHA with Shangri-La but we like extremes ! No we did not stay in a Horizon room as everybody says you have to do but a deluxe with marina view and it was absolutely stunning. We arrived early morning after a flight from Darwin and we could check-in straight away.
Beds are perfect , balcony with an amazing view , calm , great bathroom with shower and a very big bathtub.
The breakfast was the best during our 5 week stay in Australia , service was superb and also the food at Ba8 was delicious and not at all expensive.
Pool area was great and the lounge-chairs around the pool were fabulous. But why was the pool so cold ??
City center is very close by but in a way that there is no noise from bars and restaurants.
Price/ quality this is absolutely topnotch ! Thanks to all the employees at Shangri-La who gave us a very memorable stay !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank flyawaybelgian
We just love extreme tourist stories, Cairns being the adventure capital of Australia and all!

Delighted that we delivered a great hotel experience and thank you to the writer for referencing the efforts of employees in making their stay so memorable.

Leeds
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Having stayed in Shangri La hotels regularly over the years, I always look forward to the experience. Overall, I did feel that this hotel was not up to same overall standard of usual worldwide Shangri La hotel based on service, rooms and just the little small touches that make this hotel chain so good.

However, the actual prices (in peak season) charged were I thought very reasonable so it is not as if they have charged over the top for something but not delivered. We booked the Horizon club for 6 nights (2 stays of 3 nights with trip to the Barrier Reef in between). The Horizon Club rooms were very nice and no issues at all here (albeit nowhere near as big as others I have stayed in elsewhere). However, I could not believe that they missed out on small touches such as a bottle of free mineral water in room which most hotels do now of this quality.

The actual Horizon club itself was a bit hit and miss. When there was a girl in charge (can't remember her name but she was Argentinian) then it ran flawlessly. She glided around serving guests, clearing up, greeting people and being altogether an excellent host (and certainly best staff member we came across). Just remembered that her name was Pamela and credit to hotel. However, when she was off, the food and drinks were not so well organised and it did not give impression of being a 'select' club.

When I was checking out, the lady at reception was really rude to concierge in front of me and I was really quite shocked. She told him off like a naughty schoolboy for not approaching me to help as she had been busy serving another guest. It was so unprofessional not least as concierge had helped me and she had not noticed.

Hotel is in superb location for everything in Cairns.

This review probably sounds a little negative when actually it is a great hotel for amounts charged and I would thoroughly recommend getting a Horizon Club room. It is just that it is not quite like a Shangri La that you would get in Asia.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scubagary
As always thank you to the reviewer for taking the time to write and share their experiences.

Our colleagues in Asia do set a very, very, very high benchmark for customer service and service delivery worldwide. We should also acknowledge that staff to guest ratios will always be an issue in Australia when drawing comparisons to our sister properties in Asia however I can assure readers that we do our very best to maintain consistency where we can.

Pamela on the writer’s commendation will be nominated to our Customer Delight Team for August which comes with both reward and recognition.

All said and done we are delighted that we have contributed to another fabulous Cairns holiday.

Alice Springs
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Stayed overnight only in a deluxe 1 bedroom suite with Horizon Club access. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff were helpful and knowledgeable excepting the room service (more on that later).

There was a delay in checking in as I was early (12.30) but no problems and I went off and had lunch and saw a movie. Promptly checked in on return and the room and view was beautiful from the 3rd floor. The bed is probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in (when I got to sleep !! - more on that in a minute).

Trouble started with an attempt at a room service order from the in room menu. I rang and attempted to place an order. The otherwise lovely young Asian sounding lady kept repeating a different order back to me and eventually we worked out she wasn't looking at the same menu that I was. She eventually had to consult with the chef and ring me back to say that the menu in my room must be out of date and that they could only supply "x" (an alternative meal) instead. I agreed rather than drag out the pain any longer. The meal was edible but nothing special.

When I went to bed I was immediately able to notice that there was a party or reception in the ground floor restaurant and that the thumping music was clearly audible even all the way up on my (3rd) floor - I shiver to think how it might have been for those on the floors below me. In any case, it was after 11pm and luckily I carry earplugs wherever I go, otherwise I would not have been able to go to sleep that night.

I was also a bit disappointed by the Horizon Club, but since it's clear that the hotel manager reads and responds to these reviews, I'll point out my concerns here so that perhaps some 'in-house' adjustments might be made? The Horizon Club is small in comparison to the one version I've been to overseas (Penang) and the food selection is minimal. Also, the snacks on offer in the afternoon were unlabelled and therefore it was a bit of a dangerous game for me (seafood intolerant) and the staff member/s (I think there were two in the afternoon) were hard to get hold of. I ended up trying one item and thanks to not having an allergic reaction, stuck to that !! The other thing I noticed was that there really wasn't much of a view unless you got a seat early since the place was packed out even at just 5.10pm (10 minutes after opening).

The next morning I enjoyed a cold breakfast but not the bacon and eggs or an omelette I was hoping for (spoiled in Penang again!). However, I overheard the staff member telling another couple that he'd provided advice to brief visitors that they could enjoy breakfast in the restaurant downstairs (with more variety) for the same complimentary free basis if they just quoted their room number? Don't know if this is correct but it would be helpful if ALL breakfasters were advised of this rather than just left to their own devices.

Other than these minor (but annoying) problems, this is a beautiful hotel with generally lovely staff who try to please :) I paid $330 odd for my night of style, so I guess I was just expecting a bit more.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Zeddog
Thank you to the reviewer for writing such a well balanced review. Our Shangri-La mission is to delight our customers each and every time and I do hope that the writer mentioned these issues to our Duty Manager so that we could make amends and recover to satisfaction.

The comments about the Horizon Club Lounge are most appreciated and welcomed. We will talk with our Executive Chef to ensure we have the hot dishes labelled and the Lounge Valets are well briefed on each item before service. For reference to readers a Continental breakfast is served in the Horizon Club Lounge while a buffet breakfast is served along the Marina at our signature restaurant North Food & Wine.

The Horizon Club Lounge view overlooks the lobby and porte couchere however we can assure guests that it has the capacity to accommodate the guests from the 36 rooms and 20 suites that have access to the lounge. Our Horizon Club Lounge is very social and we encourage our guests to mingle and share their holiday adventure stories each evening between 5-7pm where we serve complimentary cocktails.

Thank you again to our guest for referencing the efforts of our team and also for the helpful pointers.