“Fantastic Apartment.”

BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 13 May 2012

When I booked this Apartment I checked Trip Advisor and some of the reviews were not flattering at all. My Apartment and staff expirience was brilliant. I under stand some comments about the bath tubs but I found it to be quirky. I will definitely be staying there if it's available for my next visit to Cairns. The location was unbelievable right at the centre of everything.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Brendan B
There are newer reviews for BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed here for 5 days over Australia day 2012 and I can highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for something minimalistic, for a good price in a great location.

Postitives: Location is awesome - lagoon directly over the road, reef marina a 2 min walk, great views over the ocean (ask for an ocean facing room, we stayed on LVL 6 and this was great), staff are SO friendly and helpful, they really made the stay better, lots of restuarants nearby, night markets directly below etc, great price compared to other local hotels.

Negatives: We also had a weird problem with little ants? And the air con is VERY noisy, be warned! (Although I sleep with ear plugs so had no real problem). The lady on the lower level tour desk (not reception) - extremely rude and unfriendly, don't ever use her services! Decor is not overly fancy (but the apt was clean and tidy and all we needed really)

Overall - We had a great holiday and I would def come back to this hotel, given the positives far outweigh the negatives :)

Room Tip: Choose an one bed, ocean facing, at least LVL 6 or higher
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Amy M
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed a week here over Christmas through an on-line deal pay for 5 nights and get 2 free. For a centrally located resort and for a one bedroom with ocean views we were very impressed getting a weeks accomodation for $900!!. The place was clean and yes there was a problem with ants as I'd read in previous reviews but hey if you take the rubbish out each morning when you leave for the day and wash up the problem is controllable. The shuttle stop to DFO, Kuranda, Skyline etc picked you up right outside, the night markets are underneath, food places everywhere. The Marina (where you leave for the Reef) is an easy walking distance and so is Woolies/BWS if you'd prefer to eat in. The staff were fantastic Megan and Louise booked extra trips for us, provided maps and were extremely friendly and helpful. There was a false fire alarm one night at 3am which the manager had under control asap (loud speakers in the rooms) which was a bit annoying but only added to the adventure of travel. The only downside is that there was no free wi-fi, no television in the bedroom and no in room safe. It also had beautiful grounds with very clean BBQ's and a great pool overlooking the esplanade. Overall we had a great time at this resort and would recommend it and stay there in the future,

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra for the 1 Bedroom with Ocean Views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank jessicastheme
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This self contained apartment block is in the best location in Cairns. It is situated on the Esplanade above many good restaurants. It was our third time to Cairns and our first time at Breakfree. We found the location ideal, being a short walk to Woolworths for supplies. The one bedroom we were in was set up a little weird with the bed as you walk into the room, shower was wacky being a clear tube that looks into the kitchen. Mind you, these were not a problem to us, as we enjoyed the perfect view we had over the Esplanade pool and park that the living area and balcony provided. The only negatives we found were, the kitchen area. Inside the drawers needed lining, as the bottoms were rough and the cutlery sat directly on it, was a bit off putting with eating utensils. Also the tv, and washing machine/dryer needed some sort of instructions. We were not familiar with a front loader and the tv kept dropping out due to the rain. So a little guidance in these things would have been a help. We called maintenance for help which was fixed within an hour.
I would not hesitate in recommending Breakfree Royal, we will be staying there again in the future for sure.
Louise in reception was an absolute sweet heart very well informed. Extremely helpful and should be highly commended for, professionalism. Again do stay here, and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 4th floor are quieter, because the restaurants can be noisy if you need an early nig...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Toodietat
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My wife and i booked into these appartment after we had arrived in Cairns after viewing the motel we were ment to be in.The 2 lovely ladies we had dealings with at reception could not have been anymore polite or helpfull. The manager was so hands on also and made us feel so at home. The room was just so terrific with such great views and was so imaculate.The position it is situated in Cairnes you will not find a better position.The prices are so cheap for the quality you recieve in your room and position.We have already booked another holiday there in April we loved it so much.We look forward to staying in these great apartments in april and catching up with the great staff ,who are a credit in themselfs. Anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Cairns look no further then the Breekfree Royal Harbour.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dragon234
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We had the same room as the previous reviewer - 6th floor, and agree with all her comments. Were a bit disappointed that we didnt have more of an ocean view as well, as that is what we booked. But, the view of the mountains and out to the marina was nice as well. Thought the glass shower overlooking the kitchen was a bit weird. The room is a bit tired - furniture and walls worn etc, and the cleaner didnt do a very good job of cleaning the floor. The air con is an old system and quite noisy. Otherwise, it was a great location and the receptionist couldnt of been more friendly or helpful. If I did stay there again, I think I would ask for one of the front rooms with a full ocean view.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I stayed for 5 nights with my son in October. We had an apartment on the 6th floor, positioned more to the back of the complex facing south. I requested an ocean view, and I did get it, just not as much as I wanted. Having said that we could see the Cairns public pool area, part of the marina and around to the hills, pretty much 180 degree views.
The room was clean, although a bit tired looking and sparse. There wasnt much room in the "bedroom" area which you first walk into when entering the apartment and there was nowhere to put your suitcases.
The bathroom was in the centre of the apartment with round spa bath which was an adequate size. The only thing I thought was unusual was the glass window around the spa which looked into the kitchen and living area! Thank goodness for the shower curtain! I asked reception for another shower curtain as one only just covered the window, and as I was travelling with my 23 year old son I didnt want to ruin his eyesight by him seeing his mother in the shower! And visa-versa.
There was airconditioning in the apt but no ceiling fans and we found the a/c quite noisy. With the humidity there was no way we could sleep with it off.
It was a convenient location if you wanted to go shopping and enjoy the nightlife in the area but we found it a bit noisy at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family