“love this place”

BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Normally stay here 4 times a year, NYE, April/March, June & October in total about 30 days a year.

The staff are amazing. the rooms are great and well looked after. this year I have only stayed 10 days as I've been overseas.

Room Tip: high floor and ocean view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AlansWorldTravels
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Alan

Thanks for putting your positive feedback out there, it is most appreciated, especially as I know you have stayed in many of the world's best hotels. We have a large number of return guests but not many have taken the time to lodge a review.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We chose it for its location and were delighted to see that the property is right at the centre of Cairns City scene with the Promenade right below our apartment which also overlooked the beautiful lagoon pool as part of Cairns Esplanade.

Night markets (kiosks selling mainly souvenirs and chinese massage shops) are right below the property as are busy food halls whose kitchens spew out intense aromas all day so if you are hungary, they are appealing otherwise appalling. The ground floor doors of the hotel open onto the main restaurant street of Cairns. So if you want action with a seafront location, this is one of the good value for money properties.

Apartments are spacious and there is a double sofa cum bed in the living room cum kitchenette opening onto a reasonable sized balcony overlooking Cairns harbour, esplanade and the promenade. While the main bedroom is very small, the beds were comfortable, which was not the case with the sofa cum bed. It was sagging in the middle making sound sleep impossible. Must say that the hotel acted promptly to provide another bed, but it turned out to be of the same kind so we gave up.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors to avoid noise and food aromas from food court kitchen exhausts
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Deepak B

Dear Deepak B

Many thanks for your review, not much I can say in reply except that our great location close to many restaurants in the most popular part of Cairns is bound to provide those appealing or appalling aromas, depending on how hungry you are.

Our beds are great and we get many favourable comments about them, but it's not fair to expect a sofa bed to be as comfortable.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Just arrived and been shocked of the attitude of the on site manager. All I'm asking is can I get some beach towels, the answer I got is "No thing I can help" and "nobody ask this kind of question at 11 at night".I'm leaving for the reef at 7am but their reception is not open until 8am, what else I'm I suppose to do except calling the after hour service!! By the way, plenty of ants in the room!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Helenhl

Dear Helenhi

Your review is not correct! I am the on-site Manager and I have never spoken to you or anyone else at 11pm about pool towels. How can you say you were shocked by the attitude of the onsite manager when you did not speak to me? If your claim is not a false one generated by one of our competitors then I suggest that what happened is that your call was diverted to our Nite Operator - this is a call centre on the Gold Coast that handles hundreds of hotels that do not operate a reception desk 24/7. The Nite Operator has instructions to contact me in emergency situations only (I have a life too!). Your request for a pool towel at 11pm was not deemed an emergency situation - quite rightly.

As a result of your review I have placed a basket of pool towels outside of the locked reception area so that late arrivals such as yourself may take a pool towel for their reef trips the next morning.

As far as the ants are concerned, this is a year round issue in Tropical North Queensland. The ants will never go away but you can minimise their presence by ensuring absolutely everything edible is stored away - preferably in the fridge.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This hotel is very well located, and for us, was just good because we stayed only 3 days.

Room was a bit dated but spa worked ok and beds, couches were comfortable. Is good value for money.

The only downer was that reception is not open only until 8:00 am in the morning, and they give you keys that you have to drop but there is not a box anywhere that you can see so, if you check out early, you had to call the reception, and they could not tell me where the safe was so I have to drop (expensive keys), into the hole of reception, hope they found them. Staff in reception was not very friendly and did not explain this when we arrive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear Natalia3611

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found your room comfortable and good value. But you are in a group of one when you say our our reception staff were not friendly. I will defend them vehemently because they are the most friendly and efficient staff I have ever seen - anywhere! We do not discuss early departure procedure with every guest as most guests don't need to know and we want to get you to your room as soon as we can. Most guests who leave early ask in advance and are advised to push their keys through the security grill of the reception area.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We visited Cairns for our Wedding Anniversary / My Birthday and chose this place from reviews here. This can be a mixed blessing as I have done this many times before while touring Europe. Noise was an issue for us the first night. My wife and I both work very hard and were looking forward to a nice relaxing 5 night stay, we were booked into room 702 great views of the Lagoon and Trinity Bay.Each room seems to have a separate A/C but the returns are all grouped centrally which happens to be right beside the bedroom wall and the roar from it kept us both awake most of the night with only dozing with an extra pillow on head...

Got up next morning and Had a "discussion" with room 703 about running their A/C all night.. Approached Reception about this who were most apologetic but said they were fully booked but would have the Manager look into it. We were eventually moved to room 408 on the opposite side still with lagoon/bay views. Much quieter but still the return can be heard. Not sure whether this is just a bad design or A/c that needs attention. The other noise issue is that of the doors. Door closers are very strong and doors slam all the time. Couple this with no door seals and the conversations of every individual can be very "interesting". We had to put pillows at the door just to block some noise at night.

Met a couple later that day in the lift who had just arrived looking forward to their stay, I asked which room they were staying in "702" the reply.. nearly choked and got a kick before I blurted out about just vacating room...fortunately we arrived at out floor then. Sorry MATE I hope the stay was good for you...Enough about the bad stuff there is plenty of the good..

Amenities - didn't use the pool or Gym but they looked well serviced and clean.

Reception - Excellent and the two ladies very friendly accommodating and Knowledgeable.

Apartment - A most unusual shower arrangement but room for two :)..Kitchen bench had a few stains heat burns and equipment is adequate. You could cook if you wanted but why bother with such a plethora of great restaurants outside the "back door" entrance onto the Esplanade. The rest of the apartment was clean and serviceable with modern conveniences. and the Balcony overlooking the Esplanade and Lagoon is a great place to watch the world go by as well as the planes taking off.

Parking - Good we didn't have a problem and parked in the same spot each day. although we tended to leave early and arrive back mid afternoon.. by the evening it was full.

I won't go into the surrounds of Cairns other than to say excellent eating can be had within 100m of the Apartments on both sides. Look out for "Johnno" a blues guitarist who plays on the "Golden Arches" corner of Shield and Esplanade. A great Local character and an interesting story. Have listened to him play every time we visit. Lots happening on the foreshore and at night is a fairy wonderland with the lighting now in place.

If you are Gluten intolerant ( sceliac) like my wife. there are many restaurants with GF meals. Try the Turkish place next door on esplanade and the Thai on Alpin is wonderful even the GrillD place is GF..

Hope you found this helpful and happy travels.

Room Tip: choose either of the corner outside front facing away from the central air conditioning returns..
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alpal21

Thank you for your review - one of the best I have read. A good night's sleep is most important and I too have difficulty getting used to a new environment. Like when my wife and I went on a P&O cruise. The first night was awkward but we got used to the steady whir of the engines quite quickly. This is somewhat like your experience I guess, and I wonder if you got used to the sound? You are correct the air cinditioning system uses water pipes throuout the building to take the heat away to cooling towers on the roof. In my opinion the noise is less than a gentle waterfall outside your bedroom window but I realise everybody is different.

The door closers are being attended to - many have been adjusted as far as they can and we are seeking approval from the Body Corporate to buy new ones.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope we see you back here again - maybe next Birthday/Anniversary?

Cheers

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had 3 nights at the end of August and well I was actually pleased to leave. Great location but that's really all for me, the room we were in just didn't feel or appear clean and perhaps had been given just a quick wipe down before we arrived. The room configuration was just bizarre. We asked if we could be upgraded higher up because we were hoping for a better sea view. We were happy to pay extra but that was not possible without us contacting our travel agent in NZ. I needed a topper for the pull out couch, the mattress was terrible but was told they didn't have any was bought an extra blanket, terrible sleep :-( So for me it was a bit of a downer end to our holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MissPip14
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear MissPip14

So sorry that you only found us to be average but I guess a poor night's sleep will do that. By way of explanation for other readers, all our apartments are 1 bedroom and, if there's a third person, they sleep on a sofa bed. Obviously sofa bed mattrasses are not as comfortable as sleeping in a king bed or single bed.

You have not given me much to go on regarding the housekeeping but I can say that at the end of August, we had a housekeeper employed here who is now no longer with us because her work was not up to our normal excellent standards.

We were very full in August (actually averaged 92% occupancy for the month) and many nights we were fully booked. In those cases, we just cannot allocate you to a spare room as we don't have any. Also, in your case, because you booked through an agent, any change to your booking must be processed through that agent - that is one of the protocols we must abide by.

Many thanks for your review, and best wishes,

Reviewed 4 September 2013

spent 10nights here and absolutely brilliant stay,right in the heart of cairns with beautiful views over trinity bay ,stunning and lovely staff .Would recommend to anyone and gladly stay here again.If any downfall little short on parking but everything else makes up for this

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ken l
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear ken l
Many thanks for your very positive review, our Team all try very hard to make each guest's stay a great experience so your words have made them very happy. Just a quick comment about the parking, we guarantee one car space per room and our resources can be stretched at this time of year (peak season). Nevertheless, with our parking permit on the dashboard, guests can park in the Night Markets' car spaces which are only a few meters away and we pick up the bill.
Cheers,