“Ant and bug problem! ”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Edmonton, Canada
“Ant and bug problem! ”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Pros - location and price. Francesa at reception was very helpful and very friendly! She helped us book tours and gave us lots of information.

Cons -lots of ants, some cochroaches and they just kept coming. When we asked to switch to another room that didn't have ants, the guy at reception told us every room had an ant problem. He gave us a bottle of raid ant killer and sent us on our way. We used almost the entire bottle of raid! I was grossed out by the number of ants. We had food in the trash cans, obviously from eating in the kitchen and the ants started coming from everywhere. Then the cochroaches came. I would never stay here again nor would I ever recommend it.
The kitchen was very outdated! It didn't even have a stove. There was a hot plate instead. The minifridge started leaking after our week there.

I have researched some more and the other hotels don't charge too much more than this hotel. We paid 117/night for ants! Every hotel is pretty close together on the esplanade. You can get better else where!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melanie H
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Hi Melanie H

Thank you for your review, it's nice to get feedback on our team members which is always positive.

Regarding the ants, February saw the start of our rainy season, quite a late start this year. The ants seem to sense the rains are coming and become much more restless, perhaps looking for higher nesting sites to avoid being flooded in their nests. Those little ants are a problem all year round in the tropics but at this time they at their most active. No matter how much we spray we never eradicate them. This is common throughout Tropical North Queensland. The best advice I can give is to not leave any food unsealed as they have noses like a bloodhound. The fridge is a great place to store all food.

As for the cockroaches, we have never received a complaint about them before (in my 32 months here) but they are a winged insect and do fly. We often brag about so many restaurants nearby, I guess this could be a downside - though, as I say, it's a very rare complaint.

Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Montreal
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed 4 nights in January, perfect weather. The location could not be more great, right on the main street. The hotel is a bit old, but still, very clean, comfortable and access is very easy. The lobby could use a bit improvement, but no great loss... We had a very nice spacious room right beside the pool. Did 3 excursions, Great Barrier, Cape Tribulation and Karunda, all very nice!

Room Tip: Upper sea side
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HI MontrealErt,
Thank you for your review, so glad you had a great time and enjoyed our great location.
Cheers
Brian
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I surprised my Mum with a trip to Cairns for the long weekend, and I chose Royal Harbour for it's proximity to all the action in Cairns, and I was glad that I did!

We had a late check in due to flight times, but the process for gaining keys etc was super easy, and we were in our room within 10 minutes... Massive thank you to Meegan who sent an email outlining the procedures when I booked.

The room was clean, well layed out and they had the forsight to have air conditioner already running for us (which is neccessary during a Cairns summer)! The furniture was fairly modern and the decor complimented to Cairns culture and life style.

You could not get a better location in Cairns... We had an ocen view room (highly recommended) and we had uninterupted views across the explande, lagoon and out into Trinity Bay. It was truly beautiful and the epitome of Cairns and what it has to offer.

We were able to walk less than 10 minutes to everything we needed including reef and ocean tours, and although the esplanade below us is a hive of activity, we were not at all disturbed by the noise or music.

Meegan was absolutely the most dedicated, friendly and professional staff member I have ever met across my travels, and she made staying here a great experience. Before we arrived, she offered friendly and unbiased local advice in relation to tours etc and was super helpful while we were there. I cannot thank her, or sing her praises enough!

I am returning to Cairns (without my mother) in a couple of months and I will not even think of staying anywhere else. Great rates, great service, great loacation! Royal Harbour really helped make our visit to Cairns a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ocean View room is the only way to go!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Luke M
We thank you for your kind words and top rating. All our team were delighted (especially Meegan) when they read your review. We know our location is the best possible in Cairns but your comments about the subjective things such as the easy late check-in procedure, the clean room, and the lovely praise for Meegan, these things are really appreciated.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights in December on our trip from Canada. We had a late check in however the communication regarding how to access our key etc. was excellent thanks to Meegan. Meegan was amazing the entire stay. We got checked in okay (Ocean View Room 501, I recall), however our room was very dated, the bed was situated immediately when you walk in the door (poor layout) and the sofa and chair was very old and dingy. We met with Meegan the following morning and explained the situation. We actually hoped to find other accommodation, however soon discovered this hotel like many other hotels in Australia ... no cancellations without losing all your $. Regardless, Meegan was very helpful and offered for us to look at another apartment (506) on the same floor. This apartment was much better (though still dated) as it had a leather sofa that was fairly new and a different layout so we moved to this unit. It was still ocean view with a slightly smaller balcony, however much improved! My only negative after we moved was the fridge had such a sour smell. I washed the entire fridge out with bleach and water to try to clean it and it eventually dissipated through the week. Unknowingly to me, I guess I had didn't booked this apartment directly through the Break Free and ended up at a secondary website somehow. I am usually careful about booking direct and not using middle companies so beware all you travellers. I personally think it is best to book direct to avoid any unforeseen problems.

The location of this apartment is perfect. Close to all the action of the Esplanade, the night market, grocery and liquor store etc. The pool area was very clean and we did use it a couple of times. While we didn't use the BBQ we did notice it was frequently used by many guests.

Meegan was a gem. Always so friendly, informative and helpful. She is a hard dedicated worker and was the main person we saw at the front desk our entire stay. She even worked on Christmas and Boxing Day! As the main receptionist she is the face of the facility in terms of representation and she is the utmost professional and genuine.

Definitely suggest the Esplanade/Ocean view rooms! At about 7 PM every night we would enjoy watching the bats waking up and flying to the hills. Amazing sight to see.

Room Tip: Esplanade/Ocean Front a necessity! Avoid Apartment 501.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FalconLake
Dear FalconLake
You obviously have taken a lot of time and care to write your review and I thank you. I remember you both and the room move - something we are happy to do if possible. Thanks also for your kind words about Meegan, she is definately a gem.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed for four nights over December 2013 and January 2014, and BreakFree Royal Harbour were very impressed with the location, and the lovely receptionist (Meegan I believe was her name) who was very helpful.

As a serviced apartment, it was perfect for us - as is standard in these types of hotels, there is not a daily cleaning/towel service, but this was all clearly stated on their website, and there were options for replacing towels for a fee - again, this is what I expected and as it is an apartment, there are washing/drying facilities in room if you really want clean towels each day.

Our room was large enough for two people, and the living area was particularly generous - although some of the decor is a little outdated everything was clean and comfortable (particularly the bed), and we had everything we needed for a self-contained stay - large, clean refridgerator, a good washer and dryer and enough kitchen equipment for cooking a good meal. The spa-bath was a touch my partner particularly enjoyed!

The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained - we saw a gardener several times during our stay, and he spent a long time cleaning the pool area. The pool area itself is not large, but was never crowded even though I assume the hotel was probably at nearly full capacity - there are also BBQ areas in the garden that were very clean and well-maintained.

Location-wise this is probably one of the best hotels for being central to the action - located about the Night Markets it's actually very quiet - even on New Year's Eve we couldn't hear any street noise from inside the hotel. There's a large Woolworth's supermarket a block away, the Cains shopping centre is an easy 5-10 minute walk away and the cruise terminal is also close by (less than 10 mins walk).

As I mentioned above, the receptionist was incredibly helpful and pleasant - she asked us about our plans when checking in, gave us all the information we needed about the hotel and the local area, arranged a taxi to take us to the airport and made us feel incredibly welcome - she is a definite asset to the hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and I can't think of anything that could have made it better. Highly recommended for couples and families staying in Cairns that want to be close to the action in a self-contained apartment.

1 Thank katb82
Dear katB82
What a great review! Many thanks. Meegan was over the moon when she read the nice things you wrote about her. I certainly agree that she is one of our greatest assets. Francesca, our other receptionist, is equally valuable to us, and Abu (the gardener - as well as cleaner for all the public areas) is most dilligent and always provides a quality finish. We only have a small team but every one is like a member of the family. We take great pride in BreakFree Royal Harbour.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and were surprised that the apartment did not get a service for the whole time we were there, including clean towels! The apartments were very basic and quite dated, however, we had a balcony overlooking the ocean which was a big plus. The staff were also very helpful and polite which is also a bonus.

Dear AndrewWealleans
Thank you for your review of our apartments which I consider a positive one except for two issues which I would like to address. Our apartments are independently rated at 4 star and we need to be constantly upgrading to maintain that rating. Secondly, our rates are devised to include a mid-stay clean for any booking of more than seven days. Extra cleans can be arranged at a cost. This is stated in our Terms & Conditions. Thanks again for your review.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We arrived at the BreakFree Royal Harbour mid-afternoon and was greated by a lovely receptionist who checked us in and talked us clearly through the terms of the room (security deposit etc). She then asked what we had planned to do for our 4 day stay and quickly recommended some trips relevant to our plans. I'm sure the hotel get some sort of commission for this service, but she was well informed, helpful and talked us through what she would recommend. She got us all booked into the trips that were available, which was good so that we could relax and know if was all sorted.

The room was as I had expected, nothing luxurious, but clean, with a comfortable bed, suitable kitchen facilities and plenty of space for the two of us. With a fold-out bed it could have easily accommodated three people. The room also had some 'starter' tea and coffee - very nice after a long flight! There are sufficient utensils and pots to make a meal. I read on the in room documents that the room is serviced if staying longer than 8 nights, but that you can request for frequent servicing at an additional cost. The air-conditioning work great which was a godsend in 36 degree heat.

The hotel has a small pool, but it is such a short walk to the lagoon that we didn't use it in the end.

The hotel is in an excellent location with an entrance opening straight onto the Esplanade only a minuet from the lagoon, and 5 minuets max from the harbour where you catch trips to the reef. There are a good assortment of souvenir shops, diving shops (for water proof camera hire etc) and its about a 5 minuet walk to Woolworths for groceries, 10 minuet walk to the large shopping mall. There are a large number of bars and restaurants along the esplanade (which unfortunately we had really bad experiences with so I couldn't recommend any - we only went to two and I'm sure they were off-days)

All in all, a really pleasant experience from the Royal Harbour, I would stay here again when visiting Cairns.

Room Tip: Sea view room - definitely worth it!
Dear ILikeToTravelUK
Your comprehensive review is most appreciated and I consider it to be both fair and honest. Both our receptionists, Meegan or Francesca are well versed in the various tours and we strive to make a great first impression and then improve from there.

We would be delighted to see you return - such a long way to come, I know.