“Fantastic location at a reasonable rate”

BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner and I were very pleased to arrive and find this hotel was right in the middle of the Esplanade with fantastic views of the harbour and lagoon. Just go out the front door and have your choice of restaurants and bars, with the night market right beneath the hotel and within an easy walk to the casino and the wharves for the reef boat tours. In the evenings we had a fantastic view of the bats flying out, and were also happy to just sit and watch the boats heading in and out of the harbour. The room was simple, spacious and clean with all the standard amenities you could want, and it was quiet even with the central city location. Megan on reception was a pleasure to deal with, she was always very cheerful and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a prime location at a price that won't break the bank. If you decide you want a hire car, we can also highly recommend All Day Car Rentals right near the hotel for good rates and a hassle free experience,

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary F
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Mary F,

Thank you very much for your review and excellent rating. We do really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and we are especially glad that you enjoyed your stay here. Hoping we will see you back here one day.

Best wishes

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at Royal Harbour 21st Feb-28th Feb 2014, we found it to be a fantastic location everything was in a few minutes walk away, The Coffee Club was our favourite place for a chai latte & our choice of cheesecake just downstairs. Woolies supermarket was in Abbott St less than 5mins away, our room was located on the 2nd floor overlooking the garden, the bbq & pool was right outside our door. Our room very clean & all the utensils we needed to cook a meal. We had a problem with our 2 plate stove 1 wasn!t working we told Jane at reception & we came back to find they had replaced it with a new one. The staff were very friendly & helpful especially Francesca nothing was a problem for her. We highly recommend the Royal Harbour for your stay in Cairns, we will definately stay there again when we come back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the garden & the esplanade we found it to be very quie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marilyn V
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Marilyn V,

What a lovely review, thank you so much. You mentioned all the things that most guests want to be sure of and your high marks will no doubt result in more people deciding to stay with us. We are most grateful to you and hope to see you here again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Staying at the Royal Harbour was an enjoyable time. It was spacious and convenient. The little kitchenette had everything we needed to cook our own meals if we wanted. There was a little grocery store around the corner that opened at 6AM and they had ready made coffee. We liked that we could just go downstairs one way and be on the Esplanade but go the other way to our car and to the town. The lagoon, a swimming pool with a sandy beach, could be reached by crossing the Esplanade. The inconvenience was that there was not someone accessible at the front desk during the evening hours. We wanted to use the gym but by the time we got the key from the front desk the next day we had other things to do and didn't have time to use it. We thought our room key would open the door but there is a separate key. It should have been offered to us when we checked in. There was a washing machine in the room so that was convenient to wash clothes and with the great ocean breeze and the drying rack they provided on the balcony, we were able to dry our clothes. We also enjoyed using the Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel R

Dear Rachel R

Your comments are most welcome, thank you for taking the time to post them. Most of what you wrote is positive and we are grateful to you. But I would like to comment on the gym key issue. If we were to mention everything at checkin, you would be bored silly and your first impression would not be about the friendly staff and the easy checkin. We do mention that there is a gym on level 2. Anyone interested in using the gym (about 8% of our guests) then usually goes there and reads the notice on the door. We must comply with policy about insisting that all gym users first sign a waiver.

Once again, thank you and I do hope we will be welcoming you back one day soon.

Cheers

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Pros - location and price. Francesa at reception was very helpful and very friendly! She helped us book tours and gave us lots of information.

Cons -lots of ants, some cochroaches and they just kept coming. When we asked to switch to another room that didn't have ants, the guy at reception told us every room had an ant problem. He gave us a bottle of raid ant killer and sent us on our way. We used almost the entire bottle of raid! I was grossed out by the number of ants. We had food in the trash cans, obviously from eating in the kitchen and the ants started coming from everywhere. Then the cochroaches came. I would never stay here again nor would I ever recommend it.
The kitchen was very outdated! It didn't even have a stove. There was a hot plate instead. The minifridge started leaking after our week there.

I have researched some more and the other hotels don't charge too much more than this hotel. We paid 117/night for ants! Every hotel is pretty close together on the esplanade. You can get better else where!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melanie H
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hi Melanie H

Thank you for your review, it's nice to get feedback on our team members which is always positive.

Regarding the ants, February saw the start of our rainy season, quite a late start this year. The ants seem to sense the rains are coming and become much more restless, perhaps looking for higher nesting sites to avoid being flooded in their nests. Those little ants are a problem all year round in the tropics but at this time they at their most active. No matter how much we spray we never eradicate them. This is common throughout Tropical North Queensland. The best advice I can give is to not leave any food unsealed as they have noses like a bloodhound. The fridge is a great place to store all food.

As for the cockroaches, we have never received a complaint about them before (in my 32 months here) but they are a winged insect and do fly. We often brag about so many restaurants nearby, I guess this could be a downside - though, as I say, it's a very rare complaint.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed 4 nights in January, perfect weather. The location could not be more great, right on the main street. The hotel is a bit old, but still, very clean, comfortable and access is very easy. The lobby could use a bit improvement, but no great loss... We had a very nice spacious room right beside the pool. Did 3 excursions, Great Barrier, Cape Tribulation and Karunda, all very nice!

Room Tip: Upper sea side
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

HI MontrealErt,
Thank you for your review, so glad you had a great time and enjoyed our great location.
Cheers

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I surprised my Mum with a trip to Cairns for the long weekend, and I chose Royal Harbour for it's proximity to all the action in Cairns, and I was glad that I did!

We had a late check in due to flight times, but the process for gaining keys etc was super easy, and we were in our room within 10 minutes... Massive thank you to Meegan who sent an email outlining the procedures when I booked.

The room was clean, well layed out and they had the forsight to have air conditioner already running for us (which is neccessary during a Cairns summer)! The furniture was fairly modern and the decor complimented to Cairns culture and life style.

You could not get a better location in Cairns... We had an ocen view room (highly recommended) and we had uninterupted views across the explande, lagoon and out into Trinity Bay. It was truly beautiful and the epitome of Cairns and what it has to offer.

We were able to walk less than 10 minutes to everything we needed including reef and ocean tours, and although the esplanade below us is a hive of activity, we were not at all disturbed by the noise or music.

Meegan was absolutely the most dedicated, friendly and professional staff member I have ever met across my travels, and she made staying here a great experience. Before we arrived, she offered friendly and unbiased local advice in relation to tours etc and was super helpful while we were there. I cannot thank her, or sing her praises enough!

I am returning to Cairns (without my mother) in a couple of months and I will not even think of staying anywhere else. Great rates, great service, great loacation! Royal Harbour really helped make our visit to Cairns a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ocean View room is the only way to go!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Brian T, General Manager at BreakFree Royal Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Luke M
We thank you for your kind words and top rating. All our team were delighted (especially Meegan) when they read your review. We know our location is the best possible in Cairns but your comments about the subjective things such as the easy late check-in procedure, the clean room, and the lovely praise for Meegan, these things are really appreciated.
Brian T

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights in December on our trip from Canada. We had a late check in however the communication regarding how to access our key etc. was excellent thanks to Meegan. Meegan was amazing the entire stay. We got checked in okay (Ocean View Room 501, I recall), however our room was very dated, the bed was situated immediately when you walk in the door (poor layout) and the sofa and chair was very old and dingy. We met with Meegan the following morning and explained the situation. We actually hoped to find other accommodation, however soon discovered this hotel like many other hotels in Australia ... no cancellations without losing all your $. Regardless, Meegan was very helpful and offered for us to look at another apartment (506) on the same floor. This apartment was much better (though still dated) as it had a leather sofa that was fairly new and a different layout so we moved to this unit. It was still ocean view with a slightly smaller balcony, however much improved! My only negative after we moved was the fridge had such a sour smell. I washed the entire fridge out with bleach and water to try to clean it and it eventually dissipated through the week. Unknowingly to me, I guess I had didn't booked this apartment directly through the Break Free and ended up at a secondary website somehow. I am usually careful about booking direct and not using middle companies so beware all you travellers. I personally think it is best to book direct to avoid any unforeseen problems.

The location of this apartment is perfect. Close to all the action of the Esplanade, the night market, grocery and liquor store etc. The pool area was very clean and we did use it a couple of times. While we didn't use the BBQ we did notice it was frequently used by many guests.

Meegan was a gem. Always so friendly, informative and helpful. She is a hard dedicated worker and was the main person we saw at the front desk our entire stay. She even worked on Christmas and Boxing Day! As the main receptionist she is the face of the facility in terms of representation and she is the utmost professional and genuine.

Definitely suggest the Esplanade/Ocean view rooms! At about 7 PM every night we would enjoy watching the bats waking up and flying to the hills. Amazing sight to see.

Room Tip: Esplanade/Ocean Front a necessity! Avoid Apartment 501.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FalconLake

Dear FalconLake
You obviously have taken a lot of time and care to write your review and I thank you. I remember you both and the room move - something we are happy to do if possible. Thanks also for your kind words about Meegan, she is definately a gem.
Brian T