“Can be home away from home”

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Sydney, Australia
“Can be home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We are regulars and keep coming back because it's like our home in FNQ. Staff from front office, (like all hotels in Cairns, front office staff turnover is high but even the new ones warm to you like they have also always been there) to the housekeepers are welcoming and friendly. The management team from the new GM Rob, Louise, the marketing lady, our friend @ RPC and one of 5 long termers in all these years are very warm and efficient. Special mention to the previous GM (who has transferred to another Rydges) whom we feel has changed the culture and efficiency of the hotel, something we know Rob will further put his own style and stamp on.
The rooms are not luxurious but hey, you are not pay luxury rates. They are definitely homely, spacious and comfortable, allowing themselves a modern touch with flat screen LCDs.
Will we return? Yes, of course. It's our home in Cairns.

1 Thank dlklacb
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hi gents,

Thank you so much for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay here at Rydges Plaza. Our staff are a huge asset to us and we pride ourselves on our service. So from our housekeepers to Louise and myself it was great having you here and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Once again thanks and will see you soon.
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I cant believe the price I paid for this lux room.2 double beds ! modern bathroom WITH a bath. and right in the middle of town. Downside: the back of it faces the backpacker hangouts that play doof doof until 4 AM, then the blacks start drunken brawling at 4.05 so best to go to bed early if you want any sleep. car parking is $10 on L2 with safe and secure access. Receptionist trainee is HOT. Restu is great quality and value too but they need to learn not to play house music in a restaurant...not a good look girlies, or sound..
Oh and the TV channel changing is painfully slow and reception is crap..but bring a HDMI cable to connect your PC to the excellent interface unit...FINALLY hotels are "getting with" technology !

Room Tip: no tip, they're all good, but try to concentrate as the receptionist trainee is hot and distract...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hi there,
Thank you for your review and we agree our location is perfect for all that central Cairns has to offer. In regards to the loud music we are working closely with the local council to enforce noise restrictions within the local CBD so watch this space.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

This morning I noticed a special on groupon for Rydges Plaza Cairns and called them to see if the deal could be upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. The person who answered the phone call at Rydges told me that yes they could upgrade us to a 2 bedroom apartment, with 2 queen sized beds. I confirmed several times with the person on the ph that this means 2 bedrooms, and rephrased my questions to make sure this was all clear. I told her since we're travelling with 2 children we wanted them in their own room and we in the other room etc and her responses indicated she clearly understood. So following this conversation I purchased the groupon vouchers exactly as she'd explained (which cost over $1000) and then called her back to confirm our booking. The ph at Rydges was answered by someone else this time who informed me that actually they don't have 2 bedroom apartments, only rooms which interconnect and we'd need to pay extra for these if we wanted them. I was told, rather rudely and defensively, that the person who took the original call had English as her second language and that a misunderstanding must have taken place. The onus was now on me to call Groupon and ask them to refund my money. Thankfully Groupon were helpful and said they would do so ASAP, however this could take several days for the money to be back in our account. When I called Rydges back to notify them of this I was told that was good news that groupon would refund my money but the attitude was clearly unapologetic and taking no responsibility for the fact I booked the vouchers and am now out of pocket over $1000 until at least a few days because of the information I received from that original call to Rydges. I was told I should have realised English was her second language and she may not understand me...even though she was put in the role of answering calls and representing the hotel. Then I was told I should've read the fine print...which is why I called them in the first place to see how to get an upgrade. Then when I told her she was defensive and rude she told me I was abusing her and that she'd done everything possible to help me (such as offer me an interconnecting room which we'd have to pay another $1000 for, or try to call groupon but didn't get through) How exactly this all helps me, I'm not sure. One thing for sure is, after this experience, I'm glad we realised what their service and professionalism (or lack of) is like from now before we got there and had it spoil our holiday.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jenny73_13

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The hotel room was spacious & comfortable with an excellent bed to sleep on & what looked like a recently refurbished bathroom. Very comfortable couch to watch TV but disappointed that no movie channel to watch. Carpets were quite old but otherwise the hotel had a very relaxed & warm feel to it with good service from the staff at reception & an excellent buffet breakfast for the price. Nice hotel bar area & lovely pool deck but disappointed at no spa. Great location within easy walking distance of most of the clubs, pubs, restaurants, shops, casino & the reef fleet terminal. A meal at the Bavarian Beer House on the opposite corner was a highlight with the biggest pork knuckle roast i've ever seen & an excellent German lager in sizes from a schooner sized stein to a giant 1litre stein. Would stay again for the price i paid for a short 3 night break but would upgrade to a hotel on the esplanade or northern beaches if staying longer.

1 Thank JeffreyGGreer
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Hi Jeffrey,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay at Rydges Plaza Cairns, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you are right in saying that our location is perfect to see the best of what Cairns has to offer, and we believe our Rise breakfast is one of the best in the city and I am glad you enjoyed it.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

This hotel is in a great location right in the centre of Cairns, walking distance to everything. The rooms are large and the beds comfortable, however, the bathrooms are dated and could do with a facelift. In saying that the shower pressure and temperature was one of the best I have experienced in any hotel. I did find it a little noisy to get to sleep however, once asleep I was not disturbed by the music noise. Breakfast was great, lots of variety.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fnqfamily
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Hi Fnqfamily,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. I am pleased to hear that you had a great time with us and yes Rydges Plaza is right in the heart of the city – well within walking distance to many attractions. We are also very proud of our Rise breakfast here at the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed the variety on offer.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed at the rydges cairns plaza for 3 nights and the decor of the rooms look like they are stuck in the 1990s. Ceiling of toilets are old and the sink is really old when bits peeling off. We had 2 queen size beds. I wanted to boil some water using the kettle but saw lots ants in the kettle so I ended up buying bottled water. Hotel definitely needs an upgrade but I should still give them credit for the wonderful service I had experience so far. Convenient (10 mins walk) and easy access to the restaurants at the esplanade.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Uniqgirl,
Thank you for your honest feedback on your recent stay at the Rydges Plaza. In regards to our bathrooms we have recently had two floors refurbished and are in the process of looking at options for the remaining floors. And yes our staff are a credit to the hotel never a hesitation to go the extra distance for one of our guests. Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you back again soon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Great location, walking distance to everything. Restaurants, entertainment, markets, marina all virtually at doorstep.
Good access to transportation.A few minutes to the airport.
Large and comfortable beds in good sized rooms.
Rooms are a bit dated and requires urgent refurbishment, especially the carpets need renewal;
New wardrobe needed with modern digital safes instead of the rusted, keyed ones at present.
The bathrooms which are vintage do require a full replacement.
Energy saver lights make the rooms look extra dull, but with the blinds open during the day, does look good. A slightly higher wattage of energy saver lamp would do the trick to brighten up the place.
Customer service at the front desk is an absolute pleasure to experience.
Each and everyone on duty were exceptionally warm, friendly and very helpful and always with a smile.
Breakfast spread was top notch, especially for vegetarians like us, we could not ask for more.
The grilled tomatoes, potatoes and onions and hash browns were cooked to perfection.
The bakery products were delicious. The fruit shots very nice and ofcourse a good selection of fresh fruits. Even something as simple as baked beans and grilled mushrooms were done so well and with so much care.
We could see there were boiled and poached eggs or eggs to order available as well as bacon, so in all a good spread.

Room Tip: We did not find any issues with the room allocated to us.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Hi Trevelexpert,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. As you mention Our Rise breakfast concept is something a little special and something that we are extremely proud of here at Rydges Plaza. And your tip in regards to a higher wattage bulb is already being looked into by our maintenance team.
Once again we appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you next time you are in Cairns.