“Spacious rooms, large beds but hotel looks really old”

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
“Spacious rooms, large beds but hotel looks really old”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

The pluses of this place are definitely its location, spacious rooms and large beds. There's so much going on in the vicinity so you can never run out of food and shopping options.

However, the place looks really old. It's generally clean, but I still felt that the floor was really sticky and we didn't feel quite comfortable walking barefooted in our room. Shower curtain looks a bit old and dirty as well.

And the main gripe I had was the freezing aircon. Turned it all the way to the "hottest" and I was still freezing. Luckily the bed felt comfy and warm and I dreaded getting out from underneath the blankets. To be fair, I went to my friends' rooms and ours was the coldest by far. One of our room lights was faulty as well. If the management sees this, our room number was 510 FYI.

Lastly, they only issue out a single key for the room, which was a real hassle for my roommate and I.

• Stayed September 2013
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
HI Chunlian,
Thanks for your constructive feedback. Your comments about the air conditioning and the floor have been passed on to the appropriate managers who have looked into and addressed these opportunities.
Our location is definitely a positive as you mention as well as our large spacious rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Rydges Plaza Cairns.
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend, and was pretty impressed by the majority of the hotel. Staff were courteous and helpful on check in, yes they still use keys but I thought that was a bit retro. We stayed in the deluxe king and the bed was well worth the extra money - the top mattress is separated so when my partner moved, I didn't feel it. Best pillows we've ever had in a hotel room also - I want the exact same for home. Had a fantastic sleep the whole time.

The one main issue we had was with the room service - AWFUL! We just wanted a light snack after a big day out before we went somewhere for dinner, so decided to split a kids meal of fish and chips. Called the room service number, after ringing for ages, I got cut off. Called again, ordered - no problem. 40 minutes later, the reception staff called us to ask if we had heard from room service - we had not, and were still waiting! An HOUR after ordering, it finally came - and it was terrible. The fish wasn't skinned properly so it still had the skin on underneath the batter - I don't know any kids that would eat that, let alone an adult that's not particularly fussy. Huge waste of time (and money).

Overall, the place is quite dated, but our room was clean, so it didn't matter. Oddly, the curtains could have used an iron! What a strange thing to notice, I know, but there it is! Also, like others have said, the air con is quite cold but just turning it off fixed that. We had a nice view of both the mountains and the water, it is just a shame that its set so far back from esplanade that you see a lot of rooftops, but if you don't want to look at that, there's plenty of hotels *on* the esplanade I suppose. Yes, the balcony was rubbish, but there's not much to look at anyway - if you want to sit out and have a view, again, go to a hotel on the esplanade or the pier.

The location I thought was perfect for what we wanted, we walked practically everywhere and it was fine. No noise complaints from the 10th floor. The breakfast was pretty good with a wide selection, but expensive - we didn't test anywhere else's breakfast in the area to compare though. We had to hunt down glasses for juice (and someone to set a table for us - it needs a concierge desk or something because we wandered around wondering if we could eat there without having paid in advance for a while before we were helped). Pool area was lovely, with undercover cabanas to get out of the sun.

Most importantly - the hotel needs to offer free wifi. Even the skydiving reception area had free wifi. There's not really much of an excuse to charge $18 a day for wifi when you can get it for free practically everywhere else, not in this day and age.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the king deluxe on the top (10th) floor by the sounds of it - we overlooked the ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billie111255068
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Hi Billie,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a thorough review of Rydges Plaza. Firstly let me apologise for your room service experience as this should have been a simple process – we have looked at our procedures and tinkered with the children’s F&C dish so appreciate your comments.
Our pillows and dream beds are very comfortable as you mention and I am glad you enjoyed your sleep. And we agree that our location is perfect to see the sights of Cairns.
Hopefully we get another chance to see you up in FNQ in the near future.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are spacious and very clean. Swimming pool was great and you get to use one of the fitness centres in the local area for free. Great location as well. It was close to everything. Beds were very comfotable.

Room Tip: Well soundproofed. Nothing worst than a hotel that is not soundproofed.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hi Nelson,
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. As you mention our location is perfect & within walking distance of so many great Cairns attractions. Our Rydges dream beds always guarantee a great nights sleep and many of our guests have purchased their own after a few nights in one of ours.
Again thanks and hope we get the chance to see you up in FNQ soon.
Innisfail, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in a Queen Queen room for two nights the room was comfortable and very nice for a hotel room. It was overlooking the pool which was a great view. The breakfast at rise was delicious both mornings and the staff where very friendly and helpful. The location was very central in the CBD.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hi Maria,
Thank you for your review of Rydges Plaza, sounds like you had a great time away with the family. As you point out our Rise breakfast is delicious – one of the best in town we believe and I will pass on your comments to the team up in Lilo.
Once again thanks and we look forward to seeing you again soon
Burleigh Heads, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Staff simply just check you in and check you out, no information on in house restaurant or amenities, just take the lift to your room. The hotel is in need of renovation, peeling paint on doors, still use keys, aircon was freezing in my room when I went in. Bedding and bathroom were okay, balcony you could only just stand on, no room for a seat as it's tiny.
They have renovated their pool and restaurant area called Lilo which I didn't even know where it was unfortunately until the last night as I had to ask how to get there. I had tapas and a wine in the lounge, if I knew about this when I checked in I would of eaten at the lounge bar every night as it was a good menu. Convenient to the convention centre for a conference and rustys market.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Hi Tracy,
Thank you for your review and we appreciate the feedback from someone who has travelled a fair few times. We pride ourselves on our service so it disappoints me that you were not informed about Lilo Restaurant and bar as we believe it is one of the best spots in Cairns, so my apologies for this. The air con issue has been bought to our maintenance teams attention and rectified.
I do hope that we get another opportunity to show you what we can do and feel free to contact me personally for any further reservations.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

After a long day was welcomed with miss typed name so hard to check-in.
Got to room ready to collapse but when i opened door was greeted by a moldy smell...
Decided to open windows to freshen up air. When i noticed LARGE dark marks on wall that look like someone tried to paint over mould sigh!!!!
then decided to iron shirts before crashing out only to find what looked like a 1950s ironing board with a cover that was useless, and a cupboard that smelt soooo bad that after ironing i had to lay clothes out on bed rather than hang up.
Tv was new which was a waste as only 3 channels were tuned in and remote batteries were so dead that once i got to 1 station i stopped looking as i was getting so frustrated...
Went out for run in morning only to get back and find I was locked out as key failed to work...
Best part of 2 days on 6th floor room was leaving

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Stablest
Hi Mr Stables,
Thanks for your review of Rydges Plaza. Our apologies for the misspelt name on check in – though we have checked our records and both names were correct to what we were sent, so we will be following up with your booking agent. The walls that have been painted over have already started being removed and should all be gone in the next few weeks – we agree it’s not the best look. The ironing board and TV issues have been addressed with Housekeeping.
We do hope we get another opportunity to show you what we can do at a future date.
Rydges Plaza Cairns

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Shepparton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My room was on level 4 which has access to the roof top pool area. Bed was comfy, pillows were soft and amazing, room was clean, bathroom was old but I had no issue using it. The exhaust fan didn't seem to work though and the mirror would fog up within seconds of having the shower on. Water flow was strong. Great location. I would stay here again just for the location. 5 minute walk to Cairns Central shopping center. 5-10 minutes walk to the esplanade. So many great food places to eat at right on your door step. Standing on my balcony I could see Gilligan's Backpackers/Night Club. I stayed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Did not hear a single noise from the night club or any other club. Only downside is that there is no free wifi. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Hi,
Thanks for your review; we can’t agree with you more about our location it is so close to everything Cairns has to offer and all within easy walking distance. And as you point out our dream beds are amazing. My apologies regarding the extractor fan our maintenance team have been informed.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.