“A bit old fashioned but not too bad”

Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for the first time in October and came back for a second stay shortly after.
This is an older style motel - has a bit of an 80s feel to it however the rooms have been refurbished and are clean, modern and well appointed. Check in is quick and painless and the staff efficient, pleasant and friendly in a far North Queensland sort of way.
I ate in the restaurant and also got room service. The restaurant is ok ( breakfast) - typical hotel breakfast not great but not bad either. Room service was quick, with cheery and pleasant staff - large serves and pretty good food. Internet is not cheap at around $18 for 24 hours - fairly typical of Australian hotels - I wish they would adopt the overseas model of free Internet for guests!
On my second visit I needed a very early start - staff were great - wake up call, taxi on time and really quick checkout.
The hotel is fairly centrally located and around a 15 minute drive from the airport.
It's not a 5 star hotel but its clean, comfortable and well priced. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is basic but pretty good. I'll be back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hi Mark,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here and that it was good value. The hotel is well located in Cairns and there sure is plenty to see and do close by!
Thank you again for you time.
Regards,

There are newer reviews for Rydges Plaza Cairns

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Cairns Rydges Plaza is somewhat enigmatic - the public areas are more than adequate with terrific ambiance, especially in the bar and dining areas. However, the rooms don't match this. The bathroom had a loose tap and there was rust surrounding the fittings. The iron leaked water all over my shirt when I went to press it.
If you are staying over a weekend, opt for the rooms that do not over look the pool and bar or else you may be kept awake from the noise from these.
The location of the hotel is somewhat away from the usual tourist areas of the esplanade, so expect a bit of a walk to access those areas. It is an easy walk to Cairns Central - a very good shopping mall!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Hi Glenbrae,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at Rydges Plaza and we appreciate your comments regarding the ambience in our bar & dining areas – we have a great F&B area. Your comments about the bathroom and the iron have been passed on to the appropriate managers who have looked into and addressed these opportunities.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I think the hotel is in a good location, close enough to everything, yet also out of the hustle and bustle of Cairns central tourist zone.
The hotel's bar level has a great atmosphere on Friday night along with good cocktails and Happy Hour prices. The decking is a great place to relax and listen to the live music.
I loved the new pool area, with its cabana's and sun chairs you can either get some rays or get some shade. Totally relaxing after being a tourist for the day.
And i can't say enough about the meal i had in the restaurant. I had been to some other places during my stay and had virtually the same meal, but the steak at Rydges Plaza is surely the best steak i have ever had. It was cooked to perfection, tasted succulent and the accompanying mash potato (so creamy and delicious) and vegies topped off a lovely dining experience. Well done to the Chef!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hi there,
Thanks for your great review and we could not agree with you more – we think we have one of the best Food & beverage locations in Cairns. I have passed your comments on the Restaurant and Kitchen teams.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel itself was clean but the bathrooms seriously need updating. It's not in a very good position either. I thought we were in a ghost town as no-one is around. It's better to stay closer to The Esplanade although it's only a 10-15 minute walk. There's just more happening near the water. Having said that we found some great restaurants/cafes nearby which were excellent. I wouldn't stay there again and I wouldn't stay in Cairns either. Port Douglas is better. Also there can be a fair bit of noise at night from the nearby nightclubs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Hello,
Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges Plaza. I am disappointed to hear that you would not stay in Cairns again, we feel that we are right in the heart of the city and you are right in saying there are some great Cafes & restaurants in close proximity to the Hotel.
Thanks again and hopefully we do get another chance to show you what Cairns is all about.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I am a member of Rydges Priority Rewards and what a mistake it was to book this one. It is a sad excuse for a hotel. The carpets are worn and our room smelled awful on entering. The foyer looks impressive but that's about all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KinderSydney

Hello,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to ever improve our services and facilities. I am disappointed to read that you experienced a few issues during your stay with us. If you would like to contact me on rob_vonhartitzsch@rydges.com I would like to follow up further.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

After spending a week in a local backpackers my friend and I had to move due to changing our flights and having to find somewhere short notice. We stayed at this Rydges and it was very solid. The location was better then the backpackers - accross from Giligians but minus the noise! A 1 minute walk to resturants and a further 5 down to the promenade. Room was huge, we had two double beds each!!!! We might have got a good deal but a deal it was. The only contact with hotel staff was in check in and out and both were smooth and effecient. Sam at the counter knew how to treat his guests (Bearing in mind we looked like two scruffy backpackers!!). All in all for a quick visit to Cairns you will do ok staying here. As a side outdoor pool area etc was spot on.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Hi there,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
Thank you again for you time.
Regards,

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

The pluses of this place are definitely its location, spacious rooms and large beds. There's so much going on in the vicinity so you can never run out of food and shopping options.

However, the place looks really old. It's generally clean, but I still felt that the floor was really sticky and we didn't feel quite comfortable walking barefooted in our room. Shower curtain looks a bit old and dirty as well.

And the main gripe I had was the freezing aircon. Turned it all the way to the "hottest" and I was still freezing. Luckily the bed felt comfy and warm and I dreaded getting out from underneath the blankets. To be fair, I went to my friends' rooms and ours was the coldest by far. One of our room lights was faulty as well. If the management sees this, our room number was 510 FYI.

Lastly, they only issue out a single key for the room, which was a real hassle for my roommate and I.

• Stayed: September 2013

HI Chunlian,
Thanks for your constructive feedback. Your comments about the air conditioning and the floor have been passed on to the appropriate managers who have looked into and addressed these opportunities.
Our location is definitely a positive as you mention as well as our large spacious rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Rydges Plaza Cairns.