“This isn't 4-star in a million years”

Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'll say the good things first: lovely staff, great bed.

The rest is not great, I'm afraid. The hotel was grim and smelled like old airconditioning and too much strong air freshener. The bathroom was 2-star, the carpet torn and lifting up. The website says there's a gym: you have to get a key from the front counter (if there's one available) and walk two blocks to a health club. The food was average but very overpriced, and they charged a fee for using my credit card to pay: who pays hundreds of dollars for a hotel in cash? In short, a rip-off that says it's 4-star but is nowhere near.

Room Tip: Ask for one upstairs a long way and on the side of the hotel that doesn't have the live music in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kim W

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great hotel and exceptional service. Checked in and the staff member on at 9 at night was extremely helpful giving me a heap of information. Room was well kept, clean, bathroom a little outdated but that didn't affect it's usability.
Very comfy bed. The graveyard shift staff member was also very helpful to me when I needed my wheat bag heated up for a painful neck injury, went out of his way to do that for me at midnight (or later!).
Breakfast was good. My second day they hadn't received their milk delivery so didn't have any soy milk for me but seemed to have almond milk which was more than sufficient enough for me to have my cereal of a morning so thank you.
I have noticed a lot of comments about the noise. I heard a bit, but not too bad. It was holidays and the weekends were rowdy at the backpackers/nightclub across the road but with the balcony door closed it wasn't all that bad. It is a bit of a party town so I wasn't expecting country town quiet!
Overall very satisfied. Thank you all so much!

Room Tip: I would see if there is the possibility not to have a room facing the nightclub/backpackers across t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AmyKate84
Reviewed 21 June 2014

If a function is on, you'll be blasted with dance tracks and bass from the function rooms until 12am. Will stay elsewhere next time I'm having a weekend stopover. The rooms could definitely use some sound proofing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jock M
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The Rydges plaza was a comfortable hotel, rooms were clean and staff were friendly and helpful.It is located in the heart of Cairns so moving about is easy. Breakfast was high quality. I was on the upper levels and the rooms were great. Would definatley stay there again

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably the way to go
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pete C
rob_vonhartitzsch, General Manager at Rydges Plaza Cairns, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hi Pete,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay at Rydges Plaza Cairns, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you are right in saying that our location is perfect to see the best of what Cairns has to offer. And we agree that our Rise breakfast is one of the best in Cairns.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Myself and my family had a mini holiday in Cairns and we stayed at the "Rydges plaza".. great spot ! Right in the heart of the city.. amazing roof top bar and pool, a great way to unwind and enjoy a drink overlooking the views. Love the breakfast buffet, so much to choose from, great food ! Friendly staff.the cheif went out of his way to make my daughter her special egg omlet every morning for 5 days !
The rooms are bit boring but nice and clean ! Overal a great place to stay in cairns !
Rebecca & Julian

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Rebeccamanik

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for your great review; we agree that our breakfast is one of the best in Cairns and our omelette station is definitely popular. Appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and their service, and I am sure they will all take delight in reading them.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the FNQ.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good value and excellent location. Our time was limited to an 8 pm check in and 6:30 am check out so we were unable to report on much the hotel had to offer. Large room with two queen size beds. Very clean. Only one chair and no table would have made in room dining difficult for two. Would stay again though

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter856

Hi Peter,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay at Rydges Plaza Cairns, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and you are right in saying that our location is perfect to see the best of what Cairns has to offer. And we have also noted your comments regarding the lack of a table in the room and I am reviewing options for this currently.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

There was a mix up between the booking company and the hotel and the latter did everything they could to find us a room for a revisit a few days after our first stay. They succeeded and we were very impressed with their dedication to sorting out the problem. The bathrooms are now a little tired and need a refit. We were stating on the 8th and 9th floor

Room Tip: Definitely go for upper floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Neil B

Hi Neil,
Thank you for your recent review of Rydges Plaza, I appreciate your comments regarding our Front of house team sorting out the confusion over your initial reservation – we are lucky to have a very dedicated customer focused team on the Front desk.
Once again thanks and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to FNQ.