“Not a lot went right during our stay”

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #21 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights. We arrived very late at night and were pleasantly surprised with a room upgrade when we checked in, we were upgraded to a room with a pool view rather than the city view room. Unfortunately that was all that was "good" about the place. The list of things that were "bad" certainly outweighed the "good":

1. The room was not made very well each day. The maids did not replace towels (even though they took them away!). On one day they did not wipe down the bathroom sink, or replace tea/coffee or even replace the used glasses with new ones (they just left them on the table). When i called reception to ask how this happened i didn't get a response nor an apology. They sent another maid to provide new towels, glasses etc but only after an hour of waiting

2. There seems to be an ant problem in the hotel. This was noted by other reviewers. See my photos attached

3. If you don't like bats then make sure you ask for a pool view room. Some of the city view rooms will look directly into the trees where the bats nest. And there a heaps of them! They make an incredible amount of noise too

4. I prepaid for the accomodation before my stay and when i checked out the lady at reception tried to charge me again!

5. Ask for a room that does not have an internal door. Our did and we heard the children cry next door one night...not to mention the old man hocking and spitting!

The good things about the place is its location (ignoring the bats) and it has quite a nice pool area and good tour desk (doesn't charge any more than whats advertised to the public)

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure to book a room with a pool view away from the bats (i think the block near the bats is &qu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,416)

Reviewed 17 August 2012

The Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort is a good hotel in a great and quiet location - just far enough from the nightlife, but still close enough to all the restaurants, esplanade and city centre. The property has a nice feel about it with a landscaped inner garden with a pool area and a sandy beach. We had a King size pool view room on the 5th floor with views to the ocean and the hills across the harbor. The only drawback was the housekeeping - the cleanliness of the bathroom needs improving i.e. hairs (long black ones) on the floor, no soap dish (I used the wrapping paper from the soap), no toilet brush and no vacuuming in 7days! The fridge is very noisy, but the air conditioning is quiet. Whilst the “free” usage of the computer area is a pleasant surprise, it needs to be better controlled otherwise it becomes a “kids entertaining area” difficult to access/use, which is not what it was meant for. The PC’s need some attention/upgrade as well - to slow and frequently not working at all.

Other than that …. no complains. The staff on the reception were very helpful and nice, the same goes for the staff at the restaurant - breakfast and dinner. Greg Hazelwood needs a special mention in the way he managed his team at dinner time and his friendly and professional manner in which he's pleasing his guests.
Overall … we enjoyed our stay of 7days and would recommend this hotel to our friends. Would we stay there again … yes we would!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel/resort on the 20/07 for 1 week. It is a resort more than a hotel, it's clean, the bed comfy and the location is brilliant. There is a fridge in the room and Tea and Coffee and the maids visited daily. The pool bar was open too and they serve snacks and drinks for most of the day. There are a few trees outside the hotel where the flying foxes live, it's amazing watching them, get your cameras out they're so cute. There's a desk at reception where you can book your day trips and most will pick you up from the hotel but you are well within walking distance from the ferry terminals and bus stops. We never ate at the hotel but the food did look great. I would definately recommend this hotel and look forward to visiting Cairns again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is an older property, I doubt if it was originally built as a Novatel. The rooms are fully satisfactory, although perhaps a little sparse in decor (nothing on the walls, relatively plain furnishings. The rooms have balconies and sliding doors that can be opened to allow fresh air in. The hotel is located in a very quiet neighborhood - no noise at all from outside, which is a pleasant surprise. Amenities are satisfactory, about what you would expect for a Novatel. Complimentary coffee is provided, but no complimentary water. No Kleenex is provided in the rooms.

Front desk staff are very pleasant and efficient. The hotel is within walking distance of the "Esplanade", which is the main pedestrian stroll in the town.

Internet access is very expensive - $25 a day for access until 11:00 AM the next morning only (this despite the fact that the $25 a day rate is advertised as a "24 hour rate").

Both the food and the service in the hotel restaurant were disappointing. The wait staff were very relaxed (in other words, had no hustle at all), and rarely showed up at our table unless beckoned. Although they were polite, they were inefficient and on several occasions forgot food or drink orders entirely.

I would come back here again, but I would negotiate a better room rate to offset the very expensive internet, and I would not bother eating anything in the hotel restaurant - there are many, many other restaurants to choose from within a one block walk from the front door of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 'back' side of the hotel (facing the pool) are very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lyn w
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I checked into the hotel thinking I was spending more for higher quality. When I got to the room, went to the bathroom, there were hairs on the floor, shower, and sink. After going to the front desk and speaking with a manager who was either a)having a bad night or b) not very friendly, sent housekeeping down to clean the bathroom. I checked back into this hotel 4 days later and what do I find in my bathroom? HAIR! Considering i'm a bald guy, I don't have a long hair to speak of. The hair this time was around the toilet seat and the shower. After going to sleep that night thinking they will certainly clean it the next day, NOPE. I went to speak to the manager. Explaining this is not the first time it happened. He offered to take care of my breakfast and send someone down. I was ok with that...trying to rectify the situation. However, I get back from a stroll around town only to find that my room had been checked, blinds opened, but still not cleaned in the bathroom. So, I went back to the front desk...the manager was gone, but they would take care of it...and again a sorry - that's not what we strive for. So - I hang out for the afternoon and upon going back into the room that night, still not resolved. I finally talk with another manager and he offered to comp a night of my room. Finally taking more action, and then someone went to the room and made it spotless...with only 8 hours left of my stay.
Was extremely disappointed to spend so much for a hotel to splurge a bit on vacation but see a bathroom that had obviously not been cleaned. And not only one bathroom, but it happened twice? Apparently they don't clean well. I travel for business and see a lot of hotels. Have paid a lot less for much cleaner places.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ag_guy04
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We checked in and had to ask for help to get the luggage out of the car it was a very much a get it yourself kind of deal. We are seniors in our 60's. The room was very outdated. The decor was very old. The bed was hard and my back really played up so much I had to have strong pain killers before bedtime and during the day. The pillows were like bags of concrete. The bathrooms were so old. We need bathrooms with walk in showers apparently there aren't any in the hotel. I asked and was told there weren't any rooms like that. WE have both had knee replacements. Next the pool was too hard for us to access as there were stairs at one end with out a railing and a beach like effect with sand at the other end without any steps into it so we had to walk through the garden to get in. There was another guest who came to our aid and helped us down onto the sand otherwise we would not have been able to access the water. We got into the water and it was so cold we had to get out. The guest waited for us to get out so that he could help us to get out of the pool area. I would have thought there would have been an employee to watch the pool area for any dangerous things because if we had have tried these things without the other guest we could have had just such an accident. However, the meals were lovely. The first night we made a booking and when we were told it was a seafood buffet. I love this but my husband does not but can generally get by with the a-la-cart menu which we were told (by a very intense young lady) we could not have. OK we have to eat so we got by my husband ate bread rolls with cheese and he was happy. Breakfast was beautiful. The lady who checked us in was so lovely it was like being in a different hotel. I cant remember her name. Then the lovliest young lady named Lauren was a breath of fresh air. So attentive and delightful not just to us but to others. She needs to be working on the evenings she would make people want to come back. The cleaning of the room wasn't anything special. They made the bed washed cups and replaced towels. There was a long black hair on the outside of the bowl of the toilet when we arrived. I watched it for the six days we were there so I gathered that the toiled was not cleaned either was the floor. I asked when the sheets would be changed on day 3 and she said oh! I could do it today if you like. Sorry about all this if my husband would have replied he would have said all ok!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family