“Would never stay here again!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort

Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“Would never stay here again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights while in cairns for work. The hotel is a 4 star and looked lovely so I thought I would try it out.

Much to my disbelief this hotel is not up to a 4 star standard. The common areas look like they haven't been cleaned in months and all the walls are dirty. We stayed in room 266. The beds were horrible, my colleague slept on the floor as it was more comfortable. They were spongy and very soft, I normally don't have any back complaints after staying here I had a sore back.

The next morning I went to shower and there were no shower caps. I order one from reception 20 mins later I still hadn't received it. I went to reception and was told one would be sent to my room. 10 mins later I had to call again!!! This might be ok if you're on holidays not when you have a breakfast meeting.

I would never recommend staying here, for a little extra try the mantra trilogy, Pullman even the mecure is nicer!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jasmineo84
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
We are sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. It is important that we provide a high standard of product and customer service. It is evident from your feedback that we failed to deliver on this occasion.

We will take the steps necessary to ensure we address the issues you encountered.

Once again we are sorry you had this experience and we hope to welcome you back to a Novotel hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I travelled to Cairns this week to talk to Travel Industy Suppliers and chose the Novotel to spend out only night - I left very unimpressed with the check in staff and the the general mood of most of the staff here. A smile with your greeting goes a long way to making a pleasant memorable stay. Unfortunately this basic requirement for the hospitaility industy was not even remotely met and I will not stay again, and will be very hesitant to recommend

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mark W

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Well, having checked in, to checked out - I would have dealt with 4 different staff members - all as miserable then the next. I'm not sure if this personality choice was picked by management in recruitment or because it was filtered through by management but seriously, being the faces and representation of your hotel - not the greatest portrayal. They really looked and acted like that couldn't care we were staying there, didn't care about the business - my experience was not a concern for them and if you choose to go into hospitality, even a fake smile is a must. I was in a group and we were all put in completely different buildings away from each other. One staff member directed me to the road in order to get my room, which obviously was wrong but he seemed more interested in not really helping me then giving me precise direction?! Again, a smile and sincerity to help me find my room would have been appreciated.

Breakfast, $25! I would have been happier paying the usual cafe pricing and getting something above average at the local cafe. Don't do the breakfast. Have to say the lady that worked at breakfast location was the first I met who smiled and was friendly

Room - ants all over the kitchenette, bats galore outside the sliding door so you can't open it or you will freak out constantly that they will fly in, as them zoom past your head. Bathroom floor chipped. I would put it on a motel room standard to be fair. Nothing special about it or the creepy night walk to the stand alone building where it was.

All in all... the pool looked good but that's as far as positives go

Room Tip: Ask for one of the towers/buildings closer to the reception area - and not looking onto the loud bat...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mojoe2014
Basildon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel is in a good location, about 5 minutes to the main town. It is not particuarly noisy either, apart from the bats which surround the hotel. The rooms were fine, as was the hotel in general. The pool service was a bit bizarre, with having to get a towel from the hotel reception desk. The main hotel bar is not open whilst the pool bar is open, which is a bit frustrating when you just want to chill out inside the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to tell Trip Advisor readers how much you like our central location and the tranquil feel of the resort-like design.

We always ensure there is no shortage of pool towels, collected from our reception desk, and we will gladly serve drinks and food in one of our 2 bars or restaurant throughout the day.

We look forward to welcomning you back to Novotel in the future.

Missouri City, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is centrally located and is walking distance to the Esplanade, lagoon, restaurants, park and shopping. Our room overlooked the beautiful pool, and the food in the restaurant was excellent. The room was average but had large fluffy towels, probably the highlight of the stay, especially after we heard and saw the 10,000 bats overhead.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy R
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Myself and my friend stayed here over the busy Chinese new year weekend,the hotel is situated near the esplanade so is a great base for shops bars restaurants and trips.Our room overlooked the main area where the bats are,once you get used to them they really are quite spectacular especially when they take flight in the early evening for around an hour or so,they never pooped or peed on us so we weren't bothered at all by them.Our room was nice and air con worked very well and wasn't noisy,beds were very comfy and slept really well all 3 nights.We did request a wake up call on our second day which never happened luckily we woke up anyway,on our last day we requested another wake up call for a very early flight home told the reception of previous problem,they checked our phone and realised there was a fault with the line,so they came and knocked on our door to make sure we woke up.Overall the hotel was very nice,staff very helpful and polite ,it was probably a peak time when we visited this hotel and it did seem very organised and friendly.We didn't eat here in the eve,but the breakfast was very good with lots of choice.My only quibble would be that the bar seems to shut quite early,we came home one eve early around 11 hoping to have a beer in the bar and it was shut.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be near the bats you can request this
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMNovotelCairns, General Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Pleased to discover that you found our beds are very comfy and you enjoyed using our large resort style pool. While I am sorry to learn that you didn't receive a wake up call on your first night, it is good to read that our team made sure your phone was promptly replaced and we took extra efforts to make sure you got a wake up call on day 2.

I look forward to sharing your comments on how nice and polite our staff were with the resort team, and I hope we get to welcome you back to Novotel one day.

South Gippsland, Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was our second stay at the Novotel Cairns. Got a good price with a Wotif mystery hotel deal - would not be happy at all if I had paid full price.
Everything in this hotel is adequate - which was ok, because we had paid less than $100 a night. The location is great, close to the Esplanade and an easy walk to the marina. We like the bats, but they are pretty messy on the paths around the hotel. Very glad that our room did not face directly onto the bat trees.
Our room was clean but had seen better days - carpet stained and walls battered.
There was a long wait every time we needed to speak to people at the front desk, including checking in and out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple